House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
krosfyah

What If Prices Don't Fall?

Could it be that the market was just very undervalued? Could it be that we won't actually see a crash, and if we do see corrections, they will be soft and gentle as has generally been predicted? If prices stagnate for say a decade, and you manage to get enough of a deposit together, would you buy somewhere (given that you could obviously get a mortgage for the place you wanted) or would you dig your heels in and just say no way, im going to wait?

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on how long they might be prepared to wait to see what happens.

Could it be that the market was just very undervalued? Could it be that we won't actually see a crash, and if we do see corrections, they will be soft and gentle as has generally been predicted? If prices stagnate for say a decade, and you manage to get enough of a deposit together, would you buy somewhere (given that you could obviously get a mortgage for the place you wanted) or would you dig your heels in and just say no way, im going to wait?

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on how long they might be prepared to wait to see what happens.

Go away, you stupid troll.

If you read today's headlines posted on this website you will see that the waiting time is growing very short. There has never been a time in recent history (or ever?) where speculative commodities have not crashed following a period os sustained boom. House prices are up by more than 250% since the last Great Crash (1989-96) which suggests why people are getting out and why prices are starting to fall in many areas.

Anyone who buys now can be guaranteed to lose a lot of money over the coming years.

Guest Winners and Losers

It looks to me like the train is gathering steam! Chugga, chugga, Choo Choo. ;)

What a stupid bloody statement, i mean take a look at the title of the site, read some of the posts, there are some bloody inteligent guys and girls who go to alot of trouble posting data and information.

What if prices do not fall :lol: , what if a whores draws do not fall, go back to sleep <_<

Go away, you stupid troll.

WTF?! How on earth is this trolling?! It's a hypothetical situation just to see if - like me - others would be prepared to wait it out for a substantial amount of time, or - like another FTB mentioned in another thread, they are buying come what may next year.

Get a life, and if you have nothing useful to add to a thread, don't bother. Jesus.

If prices stagnate for that long, I guess most people would wait until, as you suggest, a sizeable deposit was saved, as well as until the price/wage thingy eases up a bit. To answer your question.

But they're going to fall. It was in the Evening Standard yesterday, so it must be true.

Guest Baffled_by_it_all

When I begin to worry about that I just try to let common sense be my guide.

Houses are too expensive compared to wages.

Everyone is in lots of debt.

That's generally enough for me.

What a stupid bloody statement, i mean take a look at the title of the site, read some of the posts, there are some bloody inteligent guys and girls who go to alot of trouble posting data and information.

What if prices do not fall :lol: , what if a whores draws do not fall, go back to sleep <_<

OMG another one that thinks i'm trolling, wtf is wrong with you lot. It's a HYPOTHETICAL to see if people will wait it out, or if outside pressures - like other posters have mentioned on here - will force their hand.

I swear, some of you have spent too much time on here "predicting" something that hasn't happened yet and it's fried your brains! I want a correction in prices as much as the next man, so that my wife and i may get our feet on the rung.

YAY AWOOGA AWOOGA CHOO CHOO and other snappy insider joke comments.

For the 3rd time today, i'm not a troll.

I've put off even the thought of buying for 5 years.

This isn't going to be quick - last time was 7 years to the bottom, this time perhaps longer.

In 5 years I'll start to consider based on evidence around me

What I will save by waiting at least 5 years over my lifetime could be in the region of £200K+ so it has to be worth waiting another 5 years. Also I don't want to be stuck in a 2-bed flat, eternally on the bottom rung of the ladder because I bought at the peak. I need a 3-4 bed house that will last me 15-20 years when I buy my first property and I will only buy if I can afford this

If things don't change then its goodbye UK from me

Guest Riser

Would love to hang around and argue with you but too busy making money with Gold and Silver look at them fly B)

If prices stagnate for that long, I guess most people would wait until, as you suggest, a sizeable deposit was saved, as well as until the price/wage thingy eases up a bit. To answer your question.

But they're going to fall. It was in the Evening Standard yesterday, so it must be true.

LOL at the Evening Standard comment. The point was, i was just seeing what people on here would be PREPARED to do - wait it out (as i think i would) or at some point give in and buy - and why buy if they felt they couldn't wait.

When average houses are 3.5 times average salaries we will be in neutral zone!

Currently 8 times salary is not reasonably priced!

This isn't going to be quick - last time was 7 years to the bottom, this time perhaps longer.

In 5 years I'll start to consider based on evidence around me

What I will save by waiting at least 5 years over my lifetime could be in the region of £200K+ so it has to be worth waiting another 5 years. Also I don't want to be stuck in a 2-bed flat, eternally on the bottom rung of the ladder because I bought at the peak. I need a 3-4 bed house that will last me 15-20 years when I buy my first property and I will only buy if I can afford this

If things don't change then its goodbye UK from me

THANK YOU for both kindly answering the question i put instead of jumping down my throat shouting "troll troll!" and for the insight into your thoughts.

When average houses are 3.5 times average salaries we will be in neutral zone!

Currently 8 times salary is not reasonably priced!

What im saying is, what happens if they NEVER return to 3.5 times salary? What happens if say, for the next decade they come from 8 times, down to 5 times salary and stay there? This is what im wondering - at what point will people say, "now is the time for me to buy".

I know it's hard to answer because the question is so hypothetical, but i imagine one common answer might be "i will hold off while i'm single and consider buying when i get married, if prices have stagnated for 2 or 3+ years" etc.

Guest Winners and Losers

OMG another one that thinks i'm trolling, wtf is wrong with you lot. It's a HYPOTHETICAL to see if people will wait it out, or if outside pressures - like other posters have mentioned on here - will force their hand.

I swear, some of you have spent too much time on here "predicting" something that hasn't happened yet and it's fried your brains! I want a correction in prices as much as the next man, so that my wife and i may get our feet on the rung.

YAY AWOOGA AWOOGA CHOO CHOO and other snappy insider joke comments.

For the 3rd time today, i'm not a troll.

I didn't say you were. Are you getting paranoid? My post was in reference to the impending train wreck. I don't think it can be avoided. You are new and making a lot of posts. Maybe you should read a few more and try to get the 'flavour' of the forum. Its not what you do, its the way that you do it.

Yes, my brains are fried. I blame Shaker. :(:rolleyes:

Totally agree, its going to happen very very slowly, like watching ten layers of paint dry, which have all been applied on top of each of the previous wet coat, not allowing the previous coat to dry. :lol::lol::lol:

What im saying is, what happens if they NEVER return to 3.5 times salary? What happens if say, for the next decade they come from 8 times, down to 5 times salary and stay there? This is what im wondering - at what point will people say, "now is the time for me to buy".

I know it's hard to answer because the question is so hypothetical, but i imagine one common answer might be "i will hold off while i'm single and consider buying when i get married, if prices have stagnated for 2 or 3+ years" etc.

Well if I get married and prices are like they are, I will rent, assuming renting is better value than buying.

I will personally look at buying when a property I like is being sold at 3.5 times my salary that leaves me with disposable income to live!

I didn't say you were. Are you getting paranoid? My post was in reference to the impending train wreck. I don't think it can be avoided. You are new and making a lot of posts. Maybe you should read a few more and try to get the 'flavour' of the forum. Its not what you do, its the way that you do it.

Yes, my brains are fried. I blame Shaker. :(:rolleyes:

Sorry, my apologies :(

I know i'm new, but i have been lurking a while (mainly because my rights were not updated but the mods sorted that just yesterday).

I'm sorry again, it's just that for some reason everyone thinks i'm trolling. I actually thought i did have a flavour for the place, being one of those "trapped" at the moment (i'm guessing like most of those on here) and also having lurked for a while.

Sorry again.

Could it be that the market was just very undervalued? happens.

In many areas, especially the North, property certainly was undervalued in the late 90's with many selling for well under their cost to build. However, there was also lots of empty properties around then - nowadays things have moved on and mainly due to mass immigration the excess has been soaked up, and as we are failing to build enough new property for the extra demand, that's not going to change anytime soon. In fact it may even get worse!

Wait up Winners and losers - i need to get on the train too!! Ill have a 2nd class ticket to match my 2nd class UK citizenship

Guest Winners and Losers

Wait up Winners and losers - i need to get on the train too!! Ill have a 2nd class ticket to match my 2nd class UK citizenship

It's not the gravy train delboy, are you sure you want to get on a crashing train?? Oh, go on, have a 1st class ticket then. :rolleyes:

If it never crashes?

1) Carry on as usual. Live in a caravan during my retirement.

2) Leave the carcass of British society for pastures green. Seriously, the UK would break down without a middle class able to reproduce. It looks like we're that way already.