House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
aclwalker

Who Coined The Term "property Ladder"?

Who coined the term "property ladder"? I find it an irritating phrase full of suggestion of inferiority and putting you in your place in society.

Why does everyone so gleefully use the phrase?

I don't think I've ever used it.

Do people still bleat on (how appropriate) about "the property ladder" in the depths of a crash? Or do they all just talk about "getting a house" like they should be doing anyway?

Who coined the term "property ladder"? I find it an irritating phrase full of suggestion of inferiority and putting you in your place in society.

Just checked the OED online and it doesn't have a specific entry. The usage of ladder in this sense is already covered and indeed 'property ladder' is an accurate reflection. It says nothing about where the ladder is and how the ladder moves of course.

The phrase does appear in the definition of lovely jubbly of all places;

"It's the Del Boy approach to getting your feet on the first rung of the property ladder and it's luvverly jubbly."

from People in 1996.

Plus ca change.

Do people still bleat on (how appropriate) about "the property ladder" in the depths of a crash? Or do they all just talk about "getting a house" like they should be doing anyway?

"The property ladder" phrase is widely attributed to Rt Hon Major Hugh Jarse M.B.E. (1899 - 1969)and came into general use in the English language circa 1959.

The Major was decorated for services to the Empire during the first world war. He is accredited with the tactical genius of of providing British infrantry men with footballs to kick between trenches, providing some much needed comfort to the 60,000 dead or wounded on the first morning of the Somme offensive. The Major also saw action in the second world war, distinguishing himself again, this time leading the last ever cavalry charge made by British and commonwealth troops. Decorated for bravery as his charge was shot from beneath him by one of the 10 German Tigers that he and his three comrades were attacking.

After a brief post war stint as high commisioner, he retired to become an inventor, a vocation he is most famous for. His many patents include the solar powered torch, the inflatable dart board and the Black and decker work mate. Ill health, sadly, forced a retirement from invention, and the major found employment as a an economic journalist with the Sunday sport.

He also gained much note and credit in this role. Indeed it was in this job that he gave the financial world some of the most enduring phrases still used widely to this very day. He is accredited with the phrases: new paradigm, different this time and of course property ladder.

The Major is survived by wife John, daughter Peter, and grandchildren Phil and Kirsty.

"The property ladder" phrase is widely attributed to Rt Hon Major Hugh Jarse M.B.E. (1899 - 1969)and came into general use in the English language circa 1959.

The Major was decorated for services to the Empire during the first world war. He is accredited with the tactical genius of of providing British infrantry men with footballs to kick between trenches, providing some much needed comfort to the 60,000 dead or wounded on the first morning of the Somme offensive. The Major also saw action in the second world war, distinguishing himself again, this time leading the last ever cavalry charge made by British and commonwealth troops. Decorated for bravery as his charge was shot from beneath him by one of the 10 German Tigers that he and his three comrades were attacking.

After a brief post war stint as high commisioner, he retired to become an inventor, a vocation he is most famous for. His many patents include the solar powered torch, the inflatable dart board and the Black and decker work mate. Ill health, sadly, forced a retirement from invention, and the major found employment as a an economic journalist with the Sunday sport.

He also gained much note and credit in this role. Indeed it was in this job that he gave the financial world some of the most enduring phrases still used widely to this very day. He is accredited with the phrases: new paradigm, different this time and of course property ladder.

The Major is survived by wife John, daughter Peter, and grandchildren Phil and Kirsty.

:lol::lol:

Thought you were serious at first. Nice one.

Guest Winners and Losers

Thought you were serious at first. Nice one.

What, you didn't pick it up at Major Hugh Jarse??? Not like you Shakes. Maybe something was distracting you. :rolleyes:

Edited by Winners and Losers

I find the phrase irritating and condescending in the extreme. <_< I am a single guy and always will be, Is all I want is a house and pay it off as soon as possible, and once I buy that it will be it......

Guest Baffled_by_it_all

I think it's a pretty outmoded term these days.

It isn't a ladder anymore, it's a greasy pole. You jump as high up as you can then cling on desperately.

Think I'll just be sitting back here with my step-ladder.

The ladder changes into a snake during negative growth

Its just a game of snakes and ladders and eventually you get to the top after many booms and set backs