House Price Crash Forum
jonewer

Private Property Sales

So. How to cut out the hated EA then?

I have heard of property sales sites that advertise sans EA but apart from PrivatePropertyMart.com I havent really seen any.

Does anyone have a list of resources?

Also is it possible to just approach the seller identified from the ad and completely bye-pass the EA or is there a law against this?

I have heard of property sales sites that advertise sans EA but apart from PrivatePropertyMart.com I havent really seen any.

Also is it possible to just approach the seller identified from the ad and completely bye-pass the EA or is there a law against this?

There is no law against it, as such, but if you approached the seller after seeing a Board or an advert then it would be morally wrong and the EA would try and persue a fee from the seller. But that's not your problem ;)

TB

There is no law against it, as such, but if you approached the seller after seeing a Board or an advert then it would be morally wrong and the EA would try and persue a fee from the seller. But that's not your problem ;)

TB

Surely it is indicative of the muddled thinking on here that a buyer would want to bypass estate agents and only be able to choose from 0.05% of the houses on the market! :D:D:D

Surely it is indicative of the muddled thinking on here that a buyer would want to bypass estate agents and only be able to choose from 0.05% of the houses on the market! :D:D:D

It makes a lot of sense avoiding estate agent's if you are a buyer... most EAs are competant (semi!) professionals who will help the vendor get the best price.

If you're buying it makes much more sense to seek out the small percentage of private vendors who are selling at a reasonable price for any number of reasons. Of course lots of private sellers are only selling privately because even EAs who are short of properties won't take them on at the extortionate prices they want.

http://www.loot.com

http://www.houseladder.co.uk/welcome.aspx

Are there any decent buyers agents out there? Someone who goes out finds a bunch of properties for you and negotiates it down to a sensible price?

I have tried cutting out the EA a couple of times by saying to a seller of a property that has been on the market for a while, I am interested hn your property, but have had a bad experience dealing with the EA you are using and would not want to put in an offer through them. Are you near the end of the contract with the EA and would you consider selling privately, without the EA.

Both said they would prefer to sell through an EA and could I tell them which ones I think are best.

Basically most sellers are not comfortable negotiating for themselves, dont want the hassle and think an EA will achieve a higher price than they could on their own.

This aproach may work if buying an Ex BTL, but OO's are not usually comfortable negotiating face to face.

That is just my experience though.

There are two houses round here with cheap tacky "FOR SALE" home made signs in the windows.

Clearly, where an estate agent's marketing and Rightmove listing have failed to fetch the laughably optimistic asking price, a hand made sign in the window will succeed.