House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kosciosco

If You Have To Move - What Do You Suggest?

I am having to move area for my job, unfortunately its not a relocation, so I won't be getting any money from an employer, I am moving to where there is a job I want.

So, seeing as I have to move, does anyone have some suggestions?

I have a house to sell in Mid Bedfordshire, just north of Hitchin on a mainline into London and close to A1(M). Reckon house is worth around £335k - 4 bed, link detached, 3 years old in very good nick and with lots of nice fitted appliances.

Need to move to somewhere on the M40 - Beaconsfield out to Thame. Need three beds, would like a decent garden, and somewhere in an area to avoid chavs (sorry, very un-PC I know!) Have no kids, but need to consider primary schools as they are on the cards for the future.

Know I am going to get stung by EA fees, am considering selling using online agency - any thoughts?

From what I have read there seems to be a knowledgeable crowd here, so was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions/ideas/thoughts etc?

Thanks

Simon

Let it out and rent while you work out if the jobs worthwhile?

Sell it and do the same? 6 months rent wont break you, and will give you time to properly suss out the area you want to settle in.

Do you realise that you can borrow up to the value of your place when you first rent it out & the interest will be claimable against the rent? There may be people who claim I'm wrong on that, but don't worry, I am right. Start planning.

You can then use those funds to buy in the location you're moving to. Hassle free in terms of selling, but you'll be a landlord after that.

Guest muttley

Why not do what most people do. Accept the fact that it is a lot easier to sell a house using an estate agent and stick 5k on the price.

This is the best way, IMHO.

Personally, I would speak with a few EAs and ask lots of questions about the market, how houses are selling in your area.(Don't forget to tell us what they say!) Go with the EA you like, rather than the one who gives the highest valuation.