House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
delboypass

Simile: Deal Or No Deal Contestants Like House Sellers

Does anyone watch deal or no deal and believe these poeple are like house sellers.

Even though they are able to take a great sum of money, make a great profit, they still go onwards denying to take the easy money until they are left with nothing.

Is this the mond set that people believe they deserve more even when they lose they shrug their shoulders and say ' I dont know what went wrong but it was a good experience'

did you know there isnt a banker on the end of that phone.

its noel edmunds'us's idea as he went quite mental after the collapse of blobby world.

he thinks there really is someone there. quite scary to watch when you know that.

sometime you can see the phone cord and its clearly cut.

"whats that banker.? take off all my clothes and kill them...but banker why...........ok banker.."

Edited by right_freds_dead

Does anyone watch deal or no deal and believe these poeple are like house sellers.

Even though they are able to take a great sum of money, make a great profit, they still go onwards denying to take the easy money until they are left with nothing.

Is this the mond set that people believe they deserve more even when they lose they shrug their shoulders and say ' I dont know what went wrong but it was a good experience'

I think it's very interesting how they spend so much time deliberating on which box to choose, whether to swap, and all sorts of subtly superstitious tosh when none of it makes any difference. Sort of how people invent superstitions to make them think that they can control parts of the world that they can't control.

Interpreting the offers made is quite tricky, as there's frequently a big difference between the average (or expected) return for no-dealing and the median. For example, the woman last night who went for 3+K while she still had the 35K price, but four other blue prizes. There was an 80% chance of her getting less than the 3K, but the average expected prize was 7.1K or similar. So what is the rational choice?

Billy Shears

did you know there isnt a banker on the end of that phone.

its noel edmunds'us's idea as he went quite mental after the collapse of blobby world.

he thinks there really is someone there. quite scary to watch when you know that.

sometime you can see the phone cord and its clearly cut.

"whats that banker.? take off all my clothes and kill them...but banker why...........ok banker.."

They should connect it up for a show and they say silly things to him when he picks up the phone.

Im not 100% but was sure there is no Banker..very easy to manipulate the picker though by raising or lowering the bankers offer.

For the record: There is a banker - you can sometimes here him when Noel puts the phone to his microphone.

It is interesting. One woman had 75K and 250K left and was offered 125K, she refused and walked with 75K. Not bad considering she walked in with nothing, but chucking 50K away!

Edit: Greedy bint!

Edited by OzzMosiz

For the record: There is a banker - you can sometimes here him when Noel puts the phone to his microphone.

It is interesting. One woman had 75K and 250K left and was offered 125K, she refused and walked with 75K. Not bad considering she walked in with nothing, but chucking 50K away!

But she has to make the decision at a time when she doesn't know which box she has. It's not very informative criticising her decision from the position where we knew what the answer was. If there was a 50/50 chance, then the average expected (and the median by normal definitions) winnings was 162K. So the decision to go for it wasn't too bad. There is another side to these decisions, for example if the prizes were £1 and 250K, and I was offered 80K, even though the expected winnings would have been 125K, I would go with the 80K as it's then a sure win of a fair chunk of money, versus a 50/50 chance of nothing or much more. But with the choice being 75K and 250K, I don't think the reasoning applies, and I would have not dealt.

Billy Shears

But she has to make the decision at a time when she doesn't know which box she has. It's not very informative criticising her decision from the position where we knew what the answer was. If there was a 50/50 chance, then the average expected (and the median by normal definitions) winnings was 162K. So the decision to go for it wasn't too bad. There is another side to these decisions, for example if the prizes were £1 and 250K, and I was offered 80K, even though the expected winnings would have been 125K, I would go with the 80K as it's then a sure win of a fair chunk of money, versus a 50/50 chance of nothing or much more. But with the choice being 75K and 250K, I don't think the reasoning applies, and I would have not dealt.

Billy Shears

Fair point! I think I would've accepted. Now 100K and 250K and an offer of 150K, NO DEAL NOEL!

who cares ??

im just glad to see the back of that man in the blobby costume, crawling all over the floor for a dollar...

You will be happy to know that he has been melted

Mr.Blobby.jpg

Interestingly the australian version of the show moves far more quicker and more entertaining (UK ver is too slow IMO), slightly more prizes i.e car, and the no banker or phone involved. Guessing that the other versions around the world are like this.

Always amusing anyway to watch someone get greedy and go for a slightly bigger prize even though the odds of it are not very good.

Deal Or No Deal would have been a total flop in a country withuot a National Lottery.

It is incredibly captivating though.

I think it is because as a society we are afraid of the amorality of chance.

We cannot comprehend chance in all its inhumane randomness and have to create a narrative to explain it. In this case, the narrative being strategy or superstition.

Guest Winners and Losers

Hes meleted from looking at your avatar shaker baby - is it almost time for a new one??

I havent sent him the photo yet. :rolleyes:

I haven't had a telly for about 5 years so deal-or-no-deal was new to me.

I've skimmed through the rules on wikipedia. Interesting! but one thing isn't clear:

does the banker know what case was originally chosen?

also, is the banker motivated to win as much money as possible somehow?

frugalista

I haven't had a telly for about 5 years so deal-or-no-deal was new to me.

I've skimmed through the rules on wikipedia. Interesting! but one thing isn't clear:

does the banker know what case was originally chosen?

also, is the banker motivated to win as much money as possible somehow?

frugalista

The banker doesn't know where the money is (so we are told).

The bankers aim is to try and make the contestant walk away with as

little money as possible. If lots of high money boxes are still available but not

many low money boxes, he tends to try and temp them. If more low money he

offers lower amounts to try and get them to carry on.