House Price Crash Forum

I just cant believe how slimy the EA is that I dealt with yesterday.

He (I think it was a he, difficult to tell sometimes with these EAs) really pulled out all the stops!

First house- a filthy overpriced (for the area) dump - he gets a mate to come in an be another "buyer" to put pressure on us. How do I know? Well his stooge was such a bad actor! he obviously was about as interested in buying the place as I am in buying a course of female hormone replacement therapy.

The the second house - good value for the area, a bit of work but quite decent really - Now my trouble and strife starts saying how much she likes it and no matter how hard I try and kick her shins she wont shut up about how much she likes it........ you can almost hear the squelshing as his slippery lying brain slides out of neutral and....

Then the EA starts with "actually the asking price is for offers in excess" (strange he never mentioned that before, nor was there a mention of that on the ad)

Then he slimes in a quick "an offer has already been accepted but theres a chain.... so you have to move quick" (yerrrright.... also not mentioned on the ad!)

The he phones me back for a follow up. I tell him we quite liked it but was non-commital (as I know that a place in the same terrace sold for £12k less in December...but didnt tell him that bit!) So now he goes into lying overdrive with "we have had another offer, so you should really put one in today to try and secure the place before its gone" :rolleyes:

What a tosser...

You sound like you handled it well.

If I were in that situation and he mentioned other offers I would have just said someting like "Oh that's nice. They must like it more than me. I couldn't take it from them, let them have it."

I wonder how EA's would react to that?

NDL

Guest Baffled_by_it_all

Even though I was still at school during the last crash that's one of the things I remember about it. The level of hostility to EA's went up as they profiteered from the unrealistic market.

Now at least we've got Kirsty, Phil, Beeny et al soaking up the vitriol.

You lot are unbelievable.

Say the property was up for 200k. And he suddenly tells you 'it's offers in excess'. IF he got you up to 205k and he is on 1% commission - it's an extra £50 for the agency. IF he rubs you up the wrong way, he won't even get an offer.

THINK about it.

I have had dealing with lots of EAs before this and while I wouldnt trust any of them, this guy really was summin else.

If there was a prize for being slippery he would beat even Bliar into a distant second place.

Say the property was up for 200k. And he suddenly tells you 'it's offers in excess'. IF he got you up to 205k and he is on 1% commission - it's an extra £50 for the agency. IF he rubs you up the wrong way, he won't even get an offer.

THINK about it.

Dont tell me, tell HIM!

THINK about it.

You THINK about it.

If an EA lies to me, then I don't buy from them.

Easy.

Plenty of houses out there.

I wouldn't care if it was 'offers in excess of' I'd still make a low offer and walk away if rejected.... WTF would anybody believe what an EA says??

And even if they have had a better offer, then let the fools who offered more buy it - don't get tempted in paying more than you think its worth.

THINK about it.

EA get the sale at a higher price, next customer/sucker who wants to buy, EA can then get them to pay a bit more saying "its what houses are selling for in this area". He may only make an extra 50 quid, but by ramping prices up he can soon make a lot more.

Its all about the suckers!

Plus, if they manage to do this to regularly it adds up to quite a bit of cash- and certainly a LOT more cash than if people put in offers for £5k LESS than £5K more than the asking.

I have had dealing with lots of EAs before this and while I wouldnt trust any of them, this guy really was summin else.

If there was a prize for being slippery he would beat even Bliar into a distant second place.

Dont tell me, tell HIM!

Do you really think he doesn't already know?

Guest Winners and Losers

Do you really think he doesn't already know?

Speak of the devil. ;)

You sound like you handled it well.

If I were in that situation and he mentioned other offers I would have just said someting like "Oh that's nice. They must like it more than me. I couldn't take it from them, let them have it."

I wonder how EA's would react to that?

NDL

I've done that lots of times. It's one of my favourite things to do. Invariably I get a phone call a few weeks later to say that they had to pull out for one lie reason or other. :rolleyes:

THINK about it.

Don't usually like to generalise but.....

let's face it estate agents are one trick ponies who only know how to operate in a rising market, they're conditioned to each house selling for a bit more than the last. The only sales tactics they know is to lie and scare the buyer into a quick sale at asking price or above. It's not as if they ever have to talk to the buyer again once they've screwed them. I met 5 estate agents when I last moved - not one had the slightest inclination of what the local school's catchment area was some didn't even know the name of the school. Talking about knowing their market - useless t***ts.

All estate agents are liars. Never mention your salary, school catchment preference, style of property preference,nothing. Take note only of the size of plot, building and price and block out all other sales talk.

They literally will tell you anything they think you are wanting to hear. ;)

Don't usually like to generalise but.....

let's face it estate agents are one trick ponies who only know how to operate in a rising market, they're conditioned to each house selling for a bit more than the last. The only sales tactics they know is to lie and scare the buyer into a quick sale at asking price or above. It's not as if they ever have to talk to the buyer again once they've screwed them. I met 5 estate agents when I last moved - not one had the slightest inclination of what the local school's catchment area was some didn't even know the name of the school. Talking about knowing their market - useless t***ts.

For someone who doesn't like to generalise, that's a hell of a generalisation!!

Also, when did you last move? I'm certain I've seen you post on this forum that you've NEVER owned a property and spent 10 years living abroad. You talk with such authority about the EA industry for someone who's yet to purchase a property. You must have seen a bandwagon rumbling by and couldn't resist the urge to jump upon it

I just cant believe how slimy the EA is that I dealt with yesterday.

He (I think it was a he, difficult to tell sometimes with these EAs) really pulled out all the stops!

First house- a filthy overpriced (for the area) dump - he gets a mate to come in an be another "buyer" to put pressure on us. How do I know? Well his stooge was such a bad actor! he obviously was about as interested in buying the place as I am in buying a course of female hormone replacement therapy.

The the second house - good value for the area, a bit of work but quite decent really - Now my trouble and strife starts saying how much she likes it and no matter how hard I try and kick her shins she wont shut up about how much she likes it........ you can almost hear the squelshing as his slippery lying brain slides out of neutral and....

Then the EA starts with "actually the asking price is for offers in excess" (strange he never mentioned that before, nor was there a mention of that on the ad)

Then he slimes in a quick "an offer has already been accepted but theres a chain.... so you have to move quick" (yerrrright.... also not mentioned on the ad!)

The he phones me back for a follow up. I tell him we quite liked it but was non-commital (as I know that a place in the same terrace sold for £12k less in December...but didnt tell him that bit!) So now he goes into lying overdrive with "we have had another offer, so you should really put one in today to try and secure the place before its gone" :rolleyes:

What a tosser...

No worries, there'll always be something more expensive on the market soon.....

Guest Baffled_by_it_all

Well I've been browsing recently and I can't disagree with her. I haven't come across a more duplicitous bunch of self serving scumbags in my entire life. Just spending time with them makes me feel like I need a shower.

They're useless to a man/woman. Ask them any detailed questions and they haven't got a clue. They can only talk money and that's it.

One couldn't even tell me how long the lease was on the flat. Guess that's not important.

Edited by Baffled_by_it_all

For someone who doesn't like to generalise, that's a hell of a generalisation!!

Also, when did you last move? I'm certain I've seen you post on this forum that you've NEVER owned a property and spent 10 years living abroad. You talk with such authority about the EA industry for someone who's yet to purchase a property. You must have seen a bandwagon rumbling by and couldn't resist the urge to jump upon it

You don't need to own a property to form an opinion on EAs. Just viewing properties is enough. I'd love to meet an EA who either doesn't lie, or who can do so without it being so obvious.

You don't need to own a property to form an opinion on EAs. Just viewing properties is enough. I'd love to meet an EA who either doesn't lie, or who can do so without it being so obvious.

How do you do?

I don't lie. I do manage people's expectations.

How do you do?

Pleased to meet you. I look forward to you managing my expectation to buy a decent property for a fair price. :)

That may be so, but they wrote in their post 'last time i moved' when i know they have previously posted saying they 'have never owned a property'

Maybe oneday we shall meet and you're wish will be granted... <_<

How do you do?

Have you never valued someone's house for more than you actually believed it to be worth? If you don't, how do you stop the estate agents who do lie (over-valuation is an example of this) stealing all your business?

Billy Shears

Pleased to meet you. I look forward to you managing my expectation to buy a decent property for a fair price. :)

Who pays EA - who calls his tune ?

How do you do?

Some EAs lie (remember Foxtons?!), others may be more generous with the truth, but either way they are working for the vendor. So on that basis, they should never be trusted by the buyer; and those who do deserve what they get.

Edited by othello