House Price Crash Forum

Instead Of Waiting For Triggers, Why Don't We Start A Hpc?

HOLA441

Why don't we use the power of the internet and word of mouth to start a HPC rather than worrying about when it will happen?

Housing prices are just like the stockmarket - when there is lack of confidence things will fall. Why don't we start putting our on spin on things (much like - i gather - the aim of this site is anyways) to seep lack of confidence into the market?

Sort of like the fuel protests, i would like to see us try to mobile all the FTB's and STB's who now can't move up, and just get people to stop buying. Sounds simplistic? Well the best ideas usually are. I think if done in the right way, we could create enough noise out there to instill a lack of confidence and we all know historically what happens when the snowball effect of lack of confidence takes hold.

Flash in the pan idea or something to think about?

HOLA442

Why don't we use the power of the internet and word of mouth to start a HPC rather than worrying about when it will happen?

Housing prices are just like the stockmarket - when there is lack of confidence things will fall. Why don't we start putting our on spin on things (much like - i gather - the aim of this site is anyways) to seep lack of confidence into the market?

RealistBear is already doing all this hard work without much success :lol:

HOLA443

Can you elaborate somewhat? I'm quite new to the forums, although i have seen RealistBear about the place, just not too sure what he is up to.

Many thanks

HOLA444

A little too hard, actually, which is counter-productive since few will take him seriously. You don't need to exagerrate the case, just be factual, but reach a wider audience somehow.

I'm not talking about Fred-type protest marches or dousing yourselves with (expensive) petrol and setting yourself alight outside 10 Downing Street, just try to get access to a more widely-read/heard debate e.g. a TV or press interview.

HOLA445

Can you elaborate somewhat? I'm quite new to the forums, although i have seen RealistBear about the place, just not too sure what he is up to.

Spinning wildly, doom-mongering, crash-inducing (in theory)...

It's an interesting question - what is the purpose of HPC? Is it to discuss and observe the possible crash as it develops? Or is it partly to bring about that crash by creating an expectation of one (nice thought but unlikely)?

I think there are probably varying opinions - some here think it is important to spin against the VIs and don't mind if that involves twisting facts a bit. Others want to try and debunk in order to get a clear view of what is really happening.

HOLA446

Sort of like the fuel protests, i would like to see us try to mobile all the FTB's and STB's who now can't move up, and just get people to stop buying. Sounds simplistic? Well the best ideas usually are. I think if done in the right way, we could create enough noise out there to instill a lack of confidence and we all know historically what happens when the snowball effect of lack of confidence takes hold.

I think car stickers or something similar would be a good idea, if I get time to make one I'll post it on here for people to print out, count me in but I don't think there are many people here with the same enthusiam.

I think the general public need educating more rather than protests, if everyone on this site got together on the net etc which I have noticed happening but not on a large scale, I think the effect could be quite significant.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I've said before, the property bubble is a global, multi-trillion dollar phenomenon, and the crash cannot be stopped or started by individuals even acting in concert.

:huh: that's exactly how they start, grow and die.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

smells awooga-ish to me......

Actually you may have a point, and I trust your instincts on these things

A leading question to expose HPCers as dangerous radicals out to undermine decent society by decimating the value of Daily Mail reader's houses?

HOLA4415

I've said before, the property bubble is a global, multi-trillion dollar phenomenon, and the crash cannot be stopped or started by individuals even acting in concert. On the other hand fate works through the slenderest of reeds and undoubtedly if such a spark had that weird quirk of magic that was perfect place and timing, then it could work, but only because nature/reality is ready to burn. You would not really be the cause.

Much like Ghandi or Martin Luther King then? Not that i'm even beginning to compare myself to those great people, but never underestimate the power that one person has in this world.

HOLA4416

Much like Ghandi or Martin Luther King then? Not that i'm even beginning to compare myself to those great people, but never underestimate the power that one person has in this world.

Well, yes, if the cause is right.

I'm not sure that trying to manipulate a free housing market has quite the cachet of ending American racial segregation, but who knows....? :ph34r:

HOLA4417

Well, yes, if the cause is right.

I'm not sure that trying to manipulate a free housing market has quite the cachet of ending American racial segregation, but who knows....? :ph34r:

Yeah i agree, it was a silly comparison but we should never underestimate the power of even one person to change things in this world, free market trillion pound housing market bubble or otherwise.

Can someone explain what awoogaish means too please, seeing as the guy who posted above won't.

Thanks

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Awooga is a warning that the post might be a troll (troublemaking) post rather than being sincere.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not a troll, you can read about me on the intro page if you really want

My intro is on this page

Sure the idea of mine might come across as troll like, or from the frothing mouth of a madman, but actually i'm pretty sane, am a hopeful-although-losing-faith FTB that is sick of over inflated prices and just thinking out of the box as ways to try and wipe trillions off the value of property. I wouldn't mind if i was hated by all those who are greedy enough to work the angles to up the paper value of their property('s) - if i could be a champion of the common garder, soon-to-be-extinct FTB, i will be at peace with one and all.

Hence my slightly off the wall post about trying to induce a crash rather than just sitting about waiting for one. Easier said than done, i know, but i'm a frustrated individual.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Agree...sometimes you can't just wait for things to happen...sometimes they need a little push...

If you start to activly promote the idea of unsustainable house prices and sow the seeds to a change of sentiment in the area you live...then expect the area you live to show the signs of cracking and the first reductions.

If you do nothing then don't complain if nothing happens and house prices continue to raise in the area you live.

....the conscience on my shoulder (the little red one with the horns and pronged fork) suggested that I should buy some big adhesive labels and print the CAPTIONS:

GONE STALE / ABOUT TO FOLD / BUY TO LET REGRET

...these would look great plastered over respective existing EA boards showing FOR SALE / SOLD OR TO LET.

...the little nasty conscience also suggested that I should get my hands on discarded EA boards and do this, but place them on verges and prominent round abouts instead...but this would summount to fly boarding and no EA would stoop to an illegal tactic such as fly boarding, so neither should we...I think these notions would best be forgotten and certainly not encouraged.................................................

Edited by Paperclip

HOLA4423

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not a troll, you can read about me on the intro page if you really want

Ah yes, thanks - useful to know a bit more. I usually try to be trusting, but some funny things go on here. You can see why it's potentially a risky idea to be putting forward, meddling in markets etc. The UK population are very attached to their inflated house prices and would be very upset by anyone trying to "cheat them out of their gains"... more to the point it's pretty unlikely to work. HPC is seen as a bit of a crackpot idea and will be until/unless it really happens in which case sentiment will swing to the other extreme.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

And a good way of bringing yourself to the attention of MI5 :lol: