House Price Crash Forum
Bee Bear

Bankers Are Such W@n%ers

I feel a rant coming on....today i tried to sent my own hard earned sterling to the USA where i am originally from and aged parents still live. Lloyds (aka the W@n%ers in the title) refused.

I had the temerity to try to use an american passport. (i know everyone hates Americans but really? That much?)

The fact that i have lived and worked in this country for 17 years and banked with that branch for 13 of those years, regularly sending money using that american passport counted for nil.

So we are changing banks and they can bite me (and my husband too) Rant over. :angry:

Any recommendations out there for a bank which is slightly less full of red tape and stupidity?

Would esp appreciate any advice from any who regularly sends cash abroad.

Bee Bear

I feel a rant coming on....today i tried to sent my own hard earned sterling to the USA where i am originally from and aged parents still live. Lloyds (aka the W@n%ers in the title) refused.

I had the temerity to try to use an american passport. (i know everyone hates Americans but really? That much?)

The fact that i have lived and worked in this country for 17 years and banked with that branch for 13 of those years, regularly sending money using that american passport counted for nil.

So we are changing banks and they can bite me (and my husband too) Rant over. :angry:

Any recommendations out there for a bank which is slightly less full of red tape and stupidity?

Bee Bear

I used HSBC and they refused to send money to Indonesia. Have moved to NatWest. No problems yet

Loyalty to banks counts for nought - I only use HSBC (currently 20 years) because it's convenient at the moment - I wouldn't hesitate to switch...

I used HSBC and they refused to send money to Indonesia. Have moved to NatWest. No problems yet

Thanks, i have an old acct with them which i may revert to. They recently did a decent cc offer with no balance tranfer fee if you were a bank account holder.

I was also considering opening a dollars account -- i think Morgan stanley or Chase do one.

Bee Bear

Well I have an Australian Passport & never take it to the bank with me. Only my UK drivers license & bank account card as ID. That's with Barclays & I sent a large sum last week.

Ah yes, UK driving license. That's what i don't have. (and if i can say so without getting crucified by my sisters, I am a the worst kind of stereotypical "woman driver" ie too timid for London and looking around too much.) So i don't drive in the UK. I value my life and don't really want to kill others. Prefer being a pedestrian, taking a cab or let my hubby drive.

Don't kill me girls

Bee Bear

I regularly send funds US -> UK and I initially asked both UK and US banks for help. Not only did they offer crap rates but they both insisted I be physically present to authorise each transaction. Slightly inconvenient when you are paid in one country and live in the other!

If you get an account with XETrade then you can wire money (relatively) easily using a web front-end. They can direct debit funds from UK banks and EFT them from US ones. I believe they themselves are a Canadian outfit. They seem to do decent rates for currency conversion. They'll also post you a cheque/check if you prefer (thus avoiding an 18dollar or so wiring fee).

It was a bit of a hassle to set up: photocopy passport, bank details, brief telephone interview (all in the name of fraud prevention I'm sure) but since I set one up it's been painless.

In a way you should be grateful. If that's the only ID you showed them, they may feel their policy protects your money from being stolen.

Rules by all means, but when i have been banking at the same branch for 13 years and they always take a copy of my passport, they should be able to check their records. By the way it was money from my account here to my own account in the usa, same name.

I regularly send funds US -> UK and I initially asked both UK and US banks for help. Not only did they offer crap rates but they both insisted I be physically present to authorise each transaction. Slightly inconvenient when you are paid in one country and live in the other!

If you get an account with XETrade then you can wire money (relatively) easily using a web front-end. They can direct debit funds from UK banks and EFT them from US ones. I believe they themselves are a Canadian outfit. They seem to do decent rates for currency conversion. They'll also post you a cheque/check if you prefer (thus avoiding an 18dollar or so wiring fee).

It was a bit of a hassle to set up: photocopy passport, bank details, brief telephone interview (all in the name of fraud prevention I'm sure) but since I set one up it's been painless.

That sounds like just what i need, i hate taking time off work to schlep off to the bank all the time.

Thanks!

Ah yes, UK driving license. That's what i don't have. (and if i can say so without getting crucified by my sisters, I am a the worst kind of stereotypical "woman driver" ie too timid for London and looking around too much.) So i don't drive in the UK. I value my life and don't really want to kill others. Prefer being a pedestrian, taking a cab or let my hubby drive.

Don't kill me girls

Have you asked them exactly what they do require? If you have an account with them, I am surprised it is a problem. Also, ask to take it higher up the chain - those on the desk have very limited flexibility. Your problems may also relate to the size of the sum that you are remitting.

If you open up a new account elsewhere, which you then pay a fair sum into which you then try to remit internationally, this will also ring alarm bells. It may be more difficult that working through your problems with your branch.

Good luck.

Loyalty to banks counts for nought - I only use HSBC (currently 20 years) because it's convenient at the moment - I wouldn't hesitate to switch...

I used them for 15 years up until 2 months ago. Now with Alliance & Leicester as their rate is better.

If it changes, I will shop around again!

Well I have an Australian Passport & never take it to the bank with me. Only my UK drivers license & bank account card as ID. That's with Barclays & I sent a large sum last week.

No doubt TTRTR's critical point is what a LARGE sum it was.

Overcompensating champ?

Edited by geneer

I had to provide lots of proof of who I am to bullianVault.com, when I set up my account, despite the fact that I had gone into the bank to transfer funds personnaly. A lot of it is, I'm afraid, to do with chasing down Terrorists money and the rules are set largely by the US.

What got me was I was struggling to find enough documents, because I recently got married and live in my wifes' house, so none of the bills have my name on them! A UK driving licience, was initially not good enough!!

I'm a British citizen setting up an account in the UK and a UK driving licience was not good enough, according to Uncle Sam. It niggled slightly.