House Price Crash Forum

Bbc - Have Your Say On House Prices

HOLA441
HOLA442

The one with the most recommendations...early days l know but still telling is:

Added: Thursday, 27 April, 2006, 10:18 GMT 11:18 UK

Well I think they need to start saving up! - rather than spending copious amounts of cash on MP3's, Mobile gadget phones, HP on silly supped up cars, extravagant holidays and ridiculous designer clothes, YOUR HOUSE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ASSET YOU WILL EVER HAVE!!!!

the young nowadays have an extended childhood up to thier 20 - 30's and need to start growning up fast!!

Plebs s, United Kingdom

Recommended by 6 people

Ranting baby boomer gen dominates this comment board?

HOLA443
HOLA444

Well, the least we can do is sign in and recommend some of the more sensible posts, like:

[VoiceofStratford], London- I've just bought my first home for £111,000. The previous owners bought it 3 years ago for £65,000 and they bought it two year prior to that for £40,000. Thats almost 200% rise in 5 years. What on earth can justify that rise? Our population hasn't doubled and half our housing stock hasn't be demolished. Homes are incredibly overpriced as a result of buy-to-letters. When the bottom drops out of that market it'll hit us all.

[Peter_Sym], Nottingham

RECOMMENDED

Recommended by 6 people

HOLA445
Guest Baffled_by_it_all

Damn, if only I'd saved the £119 I paid for my Ipod I'd have been able to afford that £250,000 poky two bed flat at 6x my salary...

What that fool fails to realise is that prices are so high because too much money is going into the market.

HOLA446

M Thomson of Bradford is definitely a HPC reader:

"It's time everyone realised that, but until the likes of the BBC drops the current plethora of property-ramping 'house prices only ever go up' programmes and publishing blatant spin fed to them by vested interests such as Right Move, this is unlikely."

The use of phrases and language means that I can narrow him one of every poster, other than TTRTR. :lol:

HOLA447
HOLA448

So many idiotic comments, its no wonder we're in this mess....

"Prices will definitely increase as we are an island and the population is increasing. Oh well its better than being homeless!

leftwing lefty, United Kingdom "

An overpopulated island just like Japan was, eh?

Also, renting = homelessness now? :blink:

Edited by tonification

HOLA449

Quote: ''Added: Thursday, 27 April, 2006, 10:50 GMT 11:50 UK

I will be buying my first home in the coming months and yes prices are too high. My parents cannot afford to help me so I'm on my own. I have no financial help but have scrimped and saved. Prices will definitely increase as we are an island and the population is increasing. Oh well its better than being homeless!

leftwing lefty, United Kingdom ''

IS this first post for real? Hes definately been taking note from Kirsty and Phil!

HOLA4410

How about:

If you removed BTL mortgages the housing market would collapse. QED houseprices are being driven by investment speculation and not by an increased inherent value.

I think a number of us are in agreement that once the BTL market starts going "pear shaped" we're in for one hell of a crash!

HOLA4411

Wow - so being on an island justifies high prices? Surely every country is an island! So therefore this cannot be used as an argument because it is a fact and applies to EVERY country. Am I missing something?

If they mentioned the ratio of people and land availablity then it may be more of an argument - but what about other components such as wages, needs, values, abililty to buy, jobs, future prosperity, etc .... - there is so much more to consider that does not seem to be thought about - people just talk in money.

... Now if I had 20 jobs and spent none of my money on luxuries then I could have a house like those hardworking people who bought pre-boom and are allowed the luxury of 1 job and plenty of toys. I really admire them for making such excellent investment decisions and foreseeing the potential boom in prices ...

HOLA4412

Quote: ''Added: Thursday, 27 April, 2006, 10:50 GMT 11:50 UK

I will be buying my first home in the coming months and yes prices are too high. My parents cannot afford to help me so I'm on my own. I have no financial help but have scrimped and saved. Prices will definitely increase as we are an island and the population is increasing. Oh well its better than being homeless!

leftwing lefty, United Kingdom ''

IS this first post for real? Hes definately been taking note from Kirsty and Phil!

And again:

I blame the buy to lets who are rich afford their own homes as well as making money out of owning others. These are the people who are increasing house prices. If you look at estate agencies like Connells they are now advertising spanish properties for those who have money flowing out their purses. Many of us have to live with our parents, scrimp and save and maybe one day get a tiny one bed flat if that! I will be looking next month and hope to get something as anything is better than living with the folks!

Leftly left seems to like saying the situation is tough but you have to buy now or you are a loser!!!!!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The one with the most recommendations...early days l know but still telling is:

Added: Thursday, 27 April, 2006, 10:18 GMT 11:18 UK

Well I think they need to start saving up! - rather than spending copious amounts of cash on MP3's, Mobile gadget phones, HP on silly supped up cars, extravagant holidays and ridiculous designer clothes, YOUR HOUSE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ASSET YOU WILL EVER HAVE!!!!

the young nowadays have an extended childhood up to thier 20 - 30's and need to start growning up fast!!

Plebs s, United Kingdom

Recommended by 6 people

Ranting baby boomer gen dominates this comment board?

What's a supped-up car....??? ;):lol:

I've eaten mine, too.

:unsure:

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Fred,

It is worth a click because the majority read the BBC not HPC!!

I wrote the following. Please go to the site and recommend it.

First Time Buyers must compete with investors who have pushed up the values of those properties at the base of the pyramid with a ripple effect upwards. With these unstable foundations confidence underpins the market. Buyers will continue to stretch themselves if they believe prices will continue to rise.

But, at a regional level, prices have fallen. Why buy now if it is cheaper to rent and the cost of buying will be less next month? The market is cyclical. Do your research. Question those vested interests that say buy now: Building Societies and Mortgage Companies make billions out of you being in debt.

and:

The tripling of house prices since 1996 is not due to lack of housing. A mistrust of pensions and the stockmarket combined with very low interest rates have resulted in a speculative property investment frenzy.

First Time Buyers must compete with investors who have pushed up the values of those properties at the base of the pyramid with a ripple effect upwards. Houses should be homes for families not an asset for investors.

I say change the tax laws that encourage Buy to Let. Youngsters, students etc. why do you put of with this? Complain, be outraged, join together and march!! Your rent is funding the lifestyle of the generation above you. Fight back!!

HOLA4417

Wow - so being on an island justifies high prices? Surely every country is an island! So therefore this cannot be used as an argument because it is a fact and applies to EVERY country. Am I missing something?

A brain perhaps? What about landlocked countries like Bolivia, are they islands too?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

My favorite:

Frankly I've lost interest in the whole business. I don't really care. Though no-one can whinge about me not getting married, not having kids, not saving for a pension. My cash is going on beer and widescreen TVs.

John Brewer, London, United Kingdom

When most of the population feel the same way, house prices will crash and stay there.

What's a supped-up car....???

A 1985 Nova with a paper-mache spoiler.

Edited by MarkG

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Crikey talk about mass "missing of point".

Mr Smith's point is that every country is an Island in that.. it's irrelevant whether you are surrounded by water or other countries. The size of your country cannot increase in either case so economic theories based on "we are an island and therefore land is limited" are baseless. (Actually if anything Islands can increase in size because they can reclaim shallow water areas to build on)

Massive population mobility and transport of goods and materials mean that being an island has next to no impact on other economic variables either. The world doesn't quite match the GCSE geography "steel works are built near water and coal mines" anymore.

Turn your mouse over...Does it say made in China?

Edited by DabHand

HOLA4422
Guest Baffled_by_it_all

It's an island in the sense that if you live in Bolivia you can't stroll into the next country (I'm not sure about my geography but I think that's Greenland) and a buy a house. How are you going to get to work?

The majority of sales to UK workers happen in the UK. How big did commuting from Normandy become?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

LOL... that site is becoming hilarious. I love the bozos who are telling people to quit their well-paid (well, above average, anyway) jobs in the South-East and move to Derbyshire because houses are cheap, and if they're not willing to do that, they're not serious about owning.

What a bunch of muppets we have in this country. No wonder prices haven't crashed yet with idiots like that running around with multi-hundred-thousand pound mortgages to spend.

Edited by MarkG

HOLA4425