House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nordiclad

Local Ea Runs Out Of "for Sale Signs" Complains Of Cost

Just nipped in to my local estate agent (Teignbridge area, Devon) to pay my rent last week, naturally and as always, I ask what the market is doing.

Found over time they have become very truthful, even supplying me with their statistics for the local area.

Basic summery……March…

Sales, very good tick, tick business but not “flying out the door”

The average price for any kind of property has not moved a jot for the last 8 months.

Demand v supply, more properties coming on to the market.

Speed of sales, slower, with a greater number of properties being on the market for more than 12 months.

And now the best bit, whilst talking to the EA they got a delivery of “for sale signs”, which they seemed very pleased to see !!!, asking why, “well we have taken on so many new instructions they had literally run out of signs”, which they have never experienced before, then continue to complain that they cost £12 a pop. :lol::lol:

signs”, which they have never experienced before, then continue to complain that they cost £12 a pop. :lol::lol:

There is an gap in the market there - I bet someone could knock them up for £8 a go and make a killing over the next couple of years :lol::lol:

And now the best bit, whilst talking to the EA they got a delivery of “for sale signs”, which they seemed very pleased to see !!!, asking why, “well we have taken on so many new instructions they had literally run out of signs”, which they have never experienced before, then continue to complain that they cost £12 a pop. :lol::lol:

Why have they not have re-cycled all those "SOLD" Signs that they must have kicking about somewhere?

at least then they could give us first time buyers the spin of "we are an environmentally friendly estate agents"

From my experience nothing moving at all. Parents yesterday viewed a 3-bedroom house with a large extension in North London. Asking price was 220k. After viewing my Dad grumbled about the price to the estate agent, who told him not to worry he would talk to the vendor. The same evening the estate agent called him back with news that the vendor was willing to drop to 195k. They are thinking of offering 190k. I told them to wait another 6 months and offer 160k. If this is not a crash then I don't know what is.

From my experience nothing moving at all. Parents yesterday viewed a 3-bedroom house with a large extension in North London. Asking price was 220k. After viewing my Dad grumbled about the price to the estate agent, who told him not to worry he would talk to the vendor. The same evening the estate agent called him back with news that the vendor was willing to drop to 195k. They are thinking of offering 190k. I told them to wait another 6 months and offer 160k. If this is not a crash then I don't know what is.

A three bed freehold in n. london for <200k - I'll have it! Where is it!?

Very odd and seems rather cheap, some property in the midlands seems ALOT more expensive :

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-443...a_n=23&tr_t=buy

I was thinking that - I think it's on Crack Street, Harlesden between the Somalian knifewielding heroin dealers' flophouse and the Albanian bordello - innit ?

aaahhh the naysayers...

It's in Enfield, off the Heretford road

Close to Hoe Lane

It was pretty filthy and needed a fair bit of cosmetic work, but structurally not bad. my old man is a builder and he reckons he could have it sorted out in a jiffy.

vendor has it rented out for 900pcm and wants to cut his losses i assume

this side of enfield is not bad. working class, lots of chavs, but fairly OK

here's another, in a much better area

Sounds like fantasy land to me. Ex council flats sell for that sort of money.

That house in Enfield is about 750 sq feet. Bedroom 3 is 6 foot by 6 foot.

Enfield I suppose could find you a 3bed house that needed gutting for about £200K - but you would need to save big on labour costs to make it worthwhile at that price. I would rather put pins in my eyes than live there though.

I just linked through on one of Tuberider's examples.

Sure enough, Bedroom 3; 6'2" x 5'11" :o

Ya gotta be joking, right?

How do you fit even a single bed into that?

Vendors reducing prices from overoptimistic asking price isn't the same thing as a crash. It's a crash if the price they're actually selling for is much less than actual prices last year. Even in a rising market vendors try it on and then reduce the asking price.

Sounds like fantasy land to me. Ex council flats sell for that sort of money.

Enfield is pretty cheap in parts - more like £165-200K for 2 beds, £190-220 for 3 beds at the bottom end (ex-LA or whatever)

I just linked through on one of Tuberider's examples.

Sure enough, Bedroom 3; 6'2" x 5'11"

Ya gotta be joking, right?

How do you fit even a single bed into that?

What does that have to do with anything ?

my anecdote was meant to illustrate that prices are falling in this particular area

if you doubt it, call around and go and view some of these places

What does that have to do with anything ?

my anecdote was meant to illustrate that prices are falling in this particular area

if you doubt it, call around and go and view some of these places

Sorry, just registering general disbelief.

The old building code where I live in Australia said you couldn't call a room a bedroom unless the floor area was at least 70 square feet (with allowances for built-in wardrobes). This "Bedroom 3" is about half that.

All of a sudden I begin to understand an English relative's reference to "3 double bedrooms", when looking through what by local standards was a very basic house.

Edited by ajh

Sorry, just registering general disbelief.

The old building code where I live in Australia said you couldn't call a room a bedroom unless the floor area was at least 70 square feet (with allowances for built-in wardrobes). This "Bedroom 3" is about half that.

All of a sudden I begin to understand an English relative's reference to "3 double bedrooms", when looking through what by local standards was a very basic house.

I think it's true that there used to be a similar code here, but Thatcher abolished it.

aaahhh the naysayers...

It's in Enfield, off the Heretford road

Close to Hoe Lane

It was pretty filthy and needed a fair bit of cosmetic work, but structurally not bad. my old man is a builder and he reckons he could have it sorted out in a jiffy.

vendor has it rented out for 900pcm and wants to cut his losses i assume

this side of enfield is not bad. working class, lots of chavs, but fairly OK

here's another, in a much better area

Is that in London then?

net result of normal human behaiviour = stagflation.

i therefore conclude. only rising IRs will end this madness.

Edited by right_freds_dead