House Price Crash Forum
BubblesBurst

Kippers & Crashes On The Bbc

I saw it. I'm surprised they said it 'could' crash - yet the Savils woman didn't object saying it won't. Wow.

BBC NEWS

DERrrmutt just said " There are CRASHES as well you know" to a MEW'd father who has BTL'd to his 2 daughters

Item on "KIPPERS" (Kids in parents pockets eroding retirement savings).

I didn't quite understand that item. I came in halfway thru. Was it supposed to be about

KIPPERS (Kids living in parents pockets eating up retirement savings) or the fact that now

40% of parents help their kids onto the property ladder.

They played a clip from the Ronnie Corbett series "Sorry" supposedly an example of a KIPPER,

(since he still lives with his parents.

However, it sounded to me like the girls (children) lived in their parents

pockets b4 and after moving out (subsidised rent) even having their laundry done by their

parents ...

Of course the classic quote from the father who'd bought a BTL for his girls was:

"We remortgaged our own house so in effect we were cash buyers."

:blink::huh::unsure:

And the building society didn't mind!

LOL he'd said about increased equity so I assume he's got a nice place somwhere they've had a long time which the banks will love if they get their mitts on it.

I spose he can keep writing for a living for as long as possibly - its not like he's a manual labourer who has a definate shelf life. Although if papers cut back on writers I spose he's in trouble.

And the building society didn't mind!

LOL he'd said about increased equity so I assume he's got a nice place somwhere they've had a long time which the banks will love if they get their mitts on it.

I spose he can keep writing for a living for as long as possibly - its not like he's a manual labourer who has a definate shelf life. Although if papers cut back on writers I spose he's in trouble.

Didn't I hear him say that he was in fact a "property journalist"!

When it all goes horribly wrong he could write a good book on experience ready for the next property cycle.

The phone call he received was probably from the bank " errrr about your payments"

Didn't I hear him say that he was in fact a "property journalist"!

When it all goes horribly wrong he could write a good book on experience ready for the next property cycle.

The phone call he received was probably from the bank " errrr about your payments"

Yep your right he was a "Property Journalist" who had remortgaged his house and bought a two bed flat nearbye, and was now letting it out to his two daughters. So there you have it, the smug ******* is now sat in a TV studio extolling the virtues of Mewing to rent to your kids.

In over words another example of "Vested Interest" free promotional advertising curtisy of Browns Bullsh@t Corporation. So many journos are now fully wired [ trapped]into the system, that unbiased reporting no longer exists.

Figures quoted on the program, said 40% of the meager [ my word] FTB'er market was being subsidised by parents Mewing their homes. Other than Dermott introducing the"Crash" word , the implication and format set by the VI's was.........Parents Mewing to allow their children to get on the property ladder was a good thing.

What a Crock Of Sh@t this Country has Turned Into under News Speak Nu Labour.

Edited by Catch22

I did not like the clip of SORRY. I think they are acting in the equivalent way to a jealous bully in the high school / university playground. They want to make living at home look uncool and debt a more cool option.

And the whole kipper thing!!! Come on! If your working and living at home you can contribute to the running of the house and so... you are saving and your parents arnt loosing money. Grrrrr.

I hope the sheeple herd out there don't bite the bate and try and do the cool thing... for fear of being made fun of by their neighbours and playground mates.

If you can... live at home! You will have more opportunities in the long term.

BBC NEWS

DERrrmutt just said " There are CRASHES as well you know" to a MEW'd father who has BTL'd to his 2 daughters

Item on "KIPPERS" (Kids in parents pockets eroding retirement savings).

My mum was saying about this (only as a mock). I had to point out that I pay her keep, rather than a landlord, and in fact I'm helping her pension. Her eyes opened after this.

I did not like the clip of SORRY. I think they are acting in the equivalent way to a jealous bully in the high school / university playground. They want to make living at home look uncool and debt a more cool option.

And the whole kipper thing!!! Come on! If your working and living at home you can contribute to the running of the house and so... you are saving and your parents arnt loosing money. Grrrrr.

I hope the sheeple herd out there don't bite the bate and try and do the cool thing... for fear of being made fun of by their neighbours and playground mates.

If you can... live at home! You will have more opportunities in the long term.

Bang on. I thought this was just trying to take the pi$$ out of people living with parents and try and bait them to go and purchase!!

Is this really the best tax planning though - man has kids old enough to live on their own - he remortgages and buys flats in his own name

kids pay 'rent' and he pays mortgage.

when he pops his clogs then entire estate is open to inheritance tax subject to thresholds.

If he sells in meantime (if he's lucky) he's subject to CGT.

If he gifts the cash to kids then they can do it tax free - you would have to really distrust your adult kids to do that.

Or have I missed something fundamental ?

its a variation on the old 'kids live at home till they get married, paying rent'.

The difference is, the old fart has singlehandledly reduced the available housing stock, by ejecting his daughters from what was presumably a perfectly useful family home.

Im currently one and I put quiet a bit of money into my mums house and do a lot of the decorating and other DIY which she would have to pay someone to do if I did not live there

Spoke to someone last week who just bought a cheap and crappy repo for her daughter - apparently, on viewing day, the place was packed to the reafters with potential viewers but her fairly low offer was accepted - being a tight git she's now cacking herself in case she paid too much.

I told her 'you can't go wrong with property'. :lol:

If he gifts the cash to kids then they can do it tax free - you would have to really distrust your adult kids to do that.

Or have I missed something fundamental ?

Yes- probably the fact they'd then mew it, buy a new car, plasma screen TV and pi$$ the rest up against a wall! Oh and then "sorry mummy and daddy we've been silly - can you bail us out" :rolleyes:

Yes- probably the fact they'd then mew it, buy a new car, plasma screen TV and pi$$ the rest up against a wall! Oh and then "sorry mummy and daddy we've been silly - can you bail us out" :rolleyes:

I dont get this KIPPER thing.

Why do these kidults have to live at home? - pretty sad/lazy if you ask me.

Cant they just rent somewhere? - I'm sure there's no shortage of flats for 'young professionals' - ie recent graduates out there

I dont get this KIPPER thing.

Why do these kidults have to live at home? - pretty sad/lazy if you ask me.

Cant they just rent somewhere? - I'm sure there's no shortage of flats for 'young professionals' - ie recent graduates out there

What angle are you coming from? Admitting that there is a shortage and are being sarcy...\

Or... you have not read the above opinions on living at home? 1000's pounds in the bank and invested in

gold is neither sad nor lazy. Unfortunately work has taken me away to europe and am renting but until recently I was a kipper and was proud! All you youngens out there... stay at home... you will have the option to save more money or have a good time... idiots who have taken on this stupid debt are jealous as they are financially restricted from living their youth because they have placed the noose around their own necks... and want the rest of us to buy them out buy buyng in to this "property only goes up" kack.

Sound like some people are sore that they tried to act like adults too early in life .

Edited by coolaftershave

The difference is, the old fart has singlehandledly reduced the available housing stock, by ejecting his daughters from what was presumably a perfectly useful family home.

The kids may be enjoying the benefits of living at home, but spare a thought for the parents. They've just spent 20-odd years raising these spolit brats - why shouldn't they want their place to themselves again? If you've ever had teenage children you will have a lot more sympathy for the parents.

The dad is a bit of a sucker to buy them a place but I suppose he felt he couldn't just change the locks and the kids obviously wouldn't have gone quietly. I have friends who have sold their much-loved family homes and moved into pokey flats just to get rid of kippers. The kids weren't terrible but the parents had had enough and felt they needed a kick in the backside to start fending for themselves.

The kids may be enjoying the benefits of living at home, but spare a thought for the parents. They've just spent 20-odd years raising these spolit brats - why shouldn't they want their place to themselves again? If you've ever had teenage children you will have a lot more sympathy for the parents.

The dad is a bit of a sucker to buy them a place but I suppose he felt he couldn't just change the locks and the kids obviously wouldn't have gone quietly. I have friends who have sold their much-loved family homes and moved into pokey flats just to get rid of kippers. The kids weren't terrible but the parents had had enough and felt they needed a kick in the backside to start fending for themselves.

Sorry... you may have hit a nerve with be... so i will rant.

What a load of rubbish. Obviously if someone is not enjoying their children they a bad parent and have done something wrong in bringing them up. Having children and watching them grow and contribute to the family is a pleasure and contributes to a well adjusted society... take a look at the mediterranean countries.

Staying at home until your ready to move out reduces the total family debt and enables you to get a head start in life. AND... the most important this is that your parent WILL die sooner than you think and enjoying their company and having them looking after your kids and loving them in return is something precious and irresponsible bating and equating people that live at home with ronnie barker is SAD and dangerous. What do they say.. divide an conquer. I say.. stand together with your family and fight against social disharmony and debt slavery.

With all the talk of the government being in favour of family units I am surprised people are encouraged to break up a perfectly good arraignment. The english attitude of kicking kids out to fend for themselves is an "im alright jack" attitude and is WRONG. No wonder mental illness is reaching all time highs in this country... all those unloved struggling young people.

Edited by coolaftershave

The kids weren't terrible but the parents had had enough and felt they needed a kick in the backside to start fending for themselves.

well y'now.

if it wasnt for recent 300%+ house price inflation, i am sure they would have been just fine.

cake = eat it.

The crash is officially on its way. How doI know?

This summer GRUNGE IS BACK. Fashion has always been very closely linked to the economy.

This grunge thing is starting off in the USA so I think their economy will be the first to go and we will follow coz we like to stand "shoulder to shoulder" with them.

Desperate Flatwife

Figures quoted on the program, said 40% of the meager [ my word] FTB'er market was being subsidised by parents Mewing their homes. Other than Dermott introducing the"Crash" word , the implication and format set by the VI's was.........Parents Mewing to allow their children to get on the property ladder was a good thing.

What a Crock Of Sh@t this Country has Turned Into under News Speak Nu Labour.

So when it all goes t*ts up, not only recent buyers will be in deep sh*t, but their parents will be in the doodoo as well.

Billy Shears

Sound like some people are sore that they tried to act like adults too early in life .

Like in their twenties and thirties?

There is nothing wrong with living at home in itself - for many families it is an ideal situation. I don't doubt that this is the case with most of the posters on here.

But there ARE a lot of kids out there who have overstayed their welcome. They enjoy having meals cooked, laundry done, bills paid etc in return for some nominal contribution. The parents are too kind to kick the kids out although they would prefer to have their own space. Parents aren't necessarily decrepid old dears any more - they are still relatively young and healthy and would like to be off SKIing (Spending Kids Inheritance) rather than having to carry on providing a family home. This doesn't make them bad parents, any more than having adult kids who still live at home means the parents failed to foster independence and failed to prepare them for adult life.

I have a friend with THREE adult kids who are all living at home and all unemployed. Their mother is taking strain but falls for their sob stories about why they can't get/keep jobs. My advice is to kick them out but she says "I can't, they're my kids".

Look, some people like me live with their parents and do contribute.

I walk and wash the dog (no one else does)

I do my own washing and ironing

I wash up

I occasionally cook

I do DIY

I taxi my mum when she wants a night out

AND I pay her decent keep. She benefits. She told me to move back home when I split with the ex.

When I do move out, I know she will be upset.

Some peoples post that kids are a nuisance is not the case for everyone!

Edited by OzzMosiz

The crash is officially on its way. How doI know?

This summer GRUNGE IS BACK. Fashion has always been very closely linked to the economy.

This grunge thing is starting off in the USA so I think their economy will be the first to go and we will follow coz we like to stand "shoulder to shoulder" with them.

Desperate Flatwife

Interesting that, also watch out for the preferred ideal female model (and celebrity?) shape becoming "fuller" i.e. more curvy.