House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
heather5

Aylesbury In Bucks Anyone?

Anyone here monitoring property in Aylesbury, Bucks?

We're supposed to get 21,000 new homes within the next 10 years and have been granted up to 200M to redevelop the town centre as well as 19M towards traffic infratructure, including a potential by-pass.

In the last three months, with family members pushing me to buy despite having no deposit, I've been watching properties flying off the shelves (spring bounce) but have also noticed a lot of sales going off the radar - but then reappearing as "New to the market". I've also noticed that properties I saw four weeks ago are being dropped by £3-4K in that time. Mostly low-end.

Also noticed lots of "no chain" for two bed houses and one bed flats.

And, oddly, have noticed that all the EAs are expanding and taking on extra staff!!!

Are the BTLs getting out slowly but surely?

Love to hear if anyone else is monitoring and their feelings on the market here.

The reason EA are expanding and taking on extra staff is because its a crap job so new people come and go quickly, its hire and fire. In the 'great market' where property is flying off the shelves'. EA are strugling to earn sufficient commisions to live on. There is low volume in the market, too many deals fall out of bed as chains can't be built or collapse also there is lots of competition, because a monkey can set up as an EA.

Pablo Siler or Lead?

Anyone here monitoring property in Aylesbury, Bucks?

I STR in mid 2004. stayed in Aston clinton for a year and then moved out to sample village life in Cheddington.

I supopose my tale is anecdotal and experience but i hope it helps your decision making.

The place in Aston Clintoin was fine suited our purpose but i wanted a rent reduction of £100 per month for a further years commitment.

Greedy landlord says "No" and puts house on the market. A little irritating as the viewers came whilst we were still there, and to be fair, there were a lot of them. The EA told me and them that the place was a snip at a price I thought a complete joke, at least £50,000 overvalued. Anyway we moved in october 2005 and there the house sits not sold after 9 months. It is a popular estate as well.

Staying in Astson Clinton, 2 new homes on the A41, look well constructed with decent length gardens for new build, have been up 6 months or so ready for buyers,....but the £440,000 being asked for each is again a joke and despite multiple agents, they sit there unsold.

Now lets take Cheddington, when we arrived there were 3 new builds ready for occupation, and looking as if they had been for some months. Three estate agents for each by the forest of boards. They again look well constructed although the dimensions of the kitchens and one bedroom are laughable. Last week a sold sign went up for one, after a Stamp Duty Paid enticement was placed in each window. On the price of one property that amounts to a £12000 reduction in "value".

I think these three have been up for sale for at least 10 months and there is no guarentee that the sold sign is not a cunning sales ploy.

Property in and around Aylesbury does not look to have crashed, if you take advertised prices as a guide. But anyone buying would have to be off their trolley to pay anywhere near asking price in this climate. Agents must be suggesting the buyers make offers surely?

My point is house prices look high but not many are paying anywhere near asking,. Developers are getting twitchy for invested cash and when new builds start to sell for considerably less, everything will fall like a pack of cards.

I agree with previous reply, EAs are not getting commission , it is now a pressure job, with lots of angry and disgruntled clients not achieving the valuations provided to get business. Lots of staff thinking , i can get better money for less hastle elsewhere. High turnover, lots of adverts for new staff, all with the "as a result of booming sales we need ......".

Think hard before commiting yourself to tyhe possibility of being the last one in to a pyrimid scam that is dangerously close to collapse.

If you feel pressured to buy make significantly reduced offers on a number of places, and get something that represents real value in sea of current inflated prices. There are people now desperate to sell. It sounds hard but take advantage of this and do not be despearate to buy. I am sure that if you make a lot of offers(do not be embarrased to make low ones) you will find someone who must sell and has not been able to.

Best of luck ,

I anticipate buying something in late 2008, when i expect a minimum 20% reduction in the whole market, but then again we all have different expectations.

Or am i being paranoid? :unsure:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...21&hl=aylesbury

An earlier topic on the same town.

Edit: Quick search on Rightmove looks interesting. Plenty of 2 bed appartments and asking prices look like they've slipped a bit over the last few months. Fairford leys flats now going for under £160,000 v £165,000 asking a few months back.

I think prices in the beds/herts area have been stagnent since mid 2004. Rental yields still look absolutely rubbish (under 5%), can you let me have an idea what your's is?

Plenty of properties on the market look like ex-BTL but aren't moving that quickly, BTL market drying up?

Edited by Young Goat

We are a bit down the road in and around Marlow. We are watching two properties in particular, one was on last year for £950k and has now gone sale agreed at around £850k we think and another that was on for £850 last year now still available for £725k. There appears to have been a reasonable amount of stuff going off the market in the last months, but these (especially the second one), I would expect to be still around come the autumn as they are nothing special. Another big house we know of that has been for sale which we thought would go quite quickly has now been offered for rental. It is pretty clear things are slow, it will however take a few months to go by until we see what is really happening price wise, but I am pretty convinced it won't be upwards.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...21&hl=aylesbury

An earlier topic on the same town.

Edit: Quick search on Rightmove looks interesting. Plenty of 2 bed appartments and asking prices look like they've slipped a bit over the last few months. Fairford leys flats now going for under £160,000 v £165,000 asking a few months back.

I think prices in the beds/herts area have been stagnent since mid 2004. Rental yields still look absolutely rubbish (under 5%), can you let me have an idea what your's is?

Plenty of properties on the market look like ex-BTL but aren't moving that quickly, BTL market drying up?

[/quote

I know this area pretty well, we looked at buying a house in Cheddington 2 years ago (by the swan pub)and I thought then stuff was overpriced and it still is. A friend has been trying to sell his place in Pitstone near by and its been on the market for over a year, there are quite a few large new estates being built in this whole "aylesbury vale" and a lot of over supply. I cannot see a BTL paying its way in this area.

Been following Aylesbury and the surrounding villages. Absolute carnage in the new-build flats market; for example:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-205...26&tr_t=buy

Reduced from £141,950 to £109,950 within 2 months. There are others in the same block that sold for £200k+ last year that are up for auction with a guide of £120k.

Edited by Dylan

Any first hand knowledge of Tring or Berkhampstead?

Yes, top end is still doing very well in both towns and surrounding villages. Middle and lower stuff is static and the recent newbuilds may be going down a little. To be honest I think these 2 towns are way overpriced but will take longer to drop than others.

Apparently there was an article on the "Berkhamsted effect" in the local paper last week; didn't catch which EA wrote it but you can guess the gist.

I'm keeping an eye on the Tring market; asking prices seem to be holding up but then again nothing much seems to be selling. There is a definite trickle of ex-BTL coming onto the market.

This one's been kicking around for a few months, listed as a 2 bed but don't make me laugh! I've seen the price cut once or twice but then immediately re-listed at the same.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-168...=1&tr_t=buy

In comparison this nicer property (or it would be but the agents are a well known bunch of cowboys) was available for rent until a few days ago:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-185...1&tr_t=rent

TBH £650 pcm is probably pushing it a bit; would have thought you had a 50:50 chance for £600.

Apparently there was an article on the "Berkhamsted effect" in the local paper last week; didn't catch which EA wrote it but you can guess the gist.

I'm keeping an eye on the Tring market; asking prices seem to be holding up but then again nothing much seems to be selling. There is a definite trickle of ex-BTL coming onto the market.

This one's been kicking around for a few months, listed as a 2 bed but don't make me laugh! I've seen the price cut once or twice but then immediately re-listed at the same.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-168...=1&tr_t=buy

In comparison this nicer property (or it would be but the agents are a well known bunch of cowboys) was available for rent until a few days ago:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-185...1&tr_t=rent

TBH £650 pcm is probably pushing it a bit; would have thought you had a 50:50 chance for £600.

As a born and bread Tring lad (now in aylesbury since 1993) I reckon that it is a lot more established as it has very limited new build growth in the last 10 years, and probably hardly any since 2002.

All me and my mates parents are still in their baby boomer homes with mortgages cleared and retired or retiring etc but not strapped for cash. Some friends have big terraced properties bought in the late 90's cheap and done up and extended with small mortgages.

For sure there will be some over extended forced sellers, but most of the 30-40 generation either bought in Tring 10 years or so ago or like me moved out of Tring for more affordable housing in Aylesbury.

Any new people who i have known to come into Tring in the last 7 years are always quite well healed so pretty crash resisitant.

Prices will drop though, It just depends on how much competition there will be for them and the possible local trade up chain collapsing due to FTB properties was out of reach of the 20 somethings by x 10 salary.

With the restriction of credit if now city type London downtraders come in to prop up the middle market then they will drop due to the local market being gridlocked due to FTB being fooked with credit. So the chains will have to drop to move.

Just like every where else!

M

Agreed that Tring is quite unusual in that there has been very few of the newbuild flats that have scarred lots of other places; Aylesbury is particularly obvious in that respect but Berkhamsted has a huge new development going up as well.

Not sure how well prices in Tring will hold up; lots of the FTB type properties have been gobbled up by the BTL brigade, and I'm starting to see these come back on the market. Although its still reasonably affluent its still seen as second choice for those who can't afford Berkhamsted. There is also quite a wide variation in incomes, split between those who bought recently (high) and those who bought a few years ago (generally lower).

It's a measure of how large the bubble has grown that very average 3 bed semis are now going for £350,000; back in 1997 the going rate for a impressive house in Berko was £200,000 - £250,000 (parents paid £235,000 - probably £10,000 over the odds; now worth £750,000-£800,000). By the end of this they're going to be going for £175.