House Price Crash Forum

Worcestershire--houses Plummet 50k Due To Playground

HOLA441

http://www.thisisstroud.com/stroud/news/NEWS0.html

Play area house values plummet

by Liz Weafer

A PARISH council faces possible legal action after the value of homes plummeted by £50,000 when a play area opened nearby.
Homeowners who overlook Brad's Play Area in Minchinhampton are demanding compensation for the drop in value since the recreation ground opened at the start of February.
Estate agents say the fall is due to noise and lack of privacy, which are likely to put off potential buyers.
One of the residents affected is a member of Minchinhampton Parish Council himself.
Eighteen months ago, Cllr Gerald Ford's home in Summersfield Road was
valued at £300,000 - now it is worth £250,000

:lol::lol::lol:

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

http://www.thisisstroud.com/stroud/news/NEWS0.html

Play area house values plummet

by Liz Weafer

A PARISH council faces possible legal action after the value of homes plummeted by £50,000 when a play area opened nearby.
Homeowners who overlook Brad's Play Area in Minchinhampton are demanding compensation for the drop in value since the recreation ground opened at the start of February.
Estate agents say the fall is due to noise and lack of privacy, which are likely to put off potential buyers.
One of the residents affected is a member of Minchinhampton Parish Council himself.
Eighteen months ago, Cllr Gerald Ford's home in Summersfield Road was
valued at £300,000 - now it is worth £250,000

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh my God!

Is it really possible to take legal action if your house (property) goes down in value?

If this is the case we could well see many more cases like this in the future!

HOLA447

Oh my God!

Is it really possible to take legal action if your house (property) goes down in value?

Very doubtful you could establish a case without spending so much money that the other side would settle for an out of court

My mother in law (bless her) has problems with a development built directly behind her which completeley took away a beautiful rural view - all she can see now is the gable end of a cardboard and block monstrosity. I spoke to a very able planning solicitor who advised there was no possible case as you have no legal right to a view

Noise is a problem and you could apply for an order to stop or reduce the noise however many would argue that the noise of children playing is not unpleasant at all - the chances of establishing a case IMHO are somewhere between exceedingly slim and b*gger all

CS

HOLA448

Whilst laughing :lol: , I must say I do know how they feel. About a year ago I sold my flat in central Sheffield - I had to do the viewings in winter when the local kids were mainly inside. Summer and no-one would have come near the place. Krusty and friends always go on about traffic noise (which I don't mind) but kids are a different league altogether

Edited by FollowTheBear

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Maybe the mantra that "property always goes up" is so ingrained into peoples minds that every loss of value will be blamed on something.

My house dropped 50K because of too much dog mess on the pavement.

My house dropped 70K because my neighbour won't stop eating beans and boiled cabbage.

My apartments dropped 20K because the council stopped weekly rubbish collections and only collect bi-weekly.

My house has dropped 100K because the man living opposite has gone bald and refuses to wear a toupee.

Anyone got any more?

Billy Shears

HOLA4413

surely they can just get beenie round on streets ahead - hell, a lick of paint (has to be grey, pink, light blue or cream mind) and a new fence/wall and those houses will gain the 50k back and another 50k for good measure.

simple.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I would definitely seek a discount or not even consider a house near a playground - noisy kids by day, extra traffic etc, and under-age drinking chavs loitering at night.

Oh my God!

Krusty & Phlegm would be taken to the cleaners..