House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jock1967

Books/online Economics Tutorials Etc

I enjoy reading threads exploring the economics of house prices, but I must admit I skip most of it and try to extract the gist. I feel a bit like Eddie, Marty Crane's dog in Frasier who, when listening to Frasier and Marty argue about him heard only "yada yada yada EDDIE yada yada yada". Are there any books or online resources anyone could recommend for an economics numpty to try to get his head around an endeavour that appears to me to be a bit like trying to catch clouds? :unsure:

Jock

I enjoy reading threads exploring the economics of house prices, but I must admit I skip most of it and try to extract the gist. I feel a bit like Eddie, Marty Crane's dog in Frasier who, when listening to Frasier and Marty argue about him heard only "yada yada yada EDDIE yada yada yada". Are there any books or online resources anyone could recommend for an economics numpty to try to get his head around an endeavour that appears to me to be a bit like trying to catch clouds? :unsure:

Jock

There are some excellent courses online AND FOR FREE from Peter Navarro, a Havard Professor who has a little more shaky advice on the markets with his website www.peternavarro.com which are in powerpoint and mp3 form.

He covers both macro-economics and microeconomics in engaging lessions, and is one of the best courses I have heard.

http://web.gsm.uci.edu/~navarro/download.htm

Jock

For a good introductory book, try 'Economics for Dummies'. It's avaliable over at Amazon for around £12 I think, informative and easy to read.

Edited by bachelor

For a good introductory book, try 'Economics for Dummies'. It's avaliable over at Amazon for around £12 I think, informative and easy to read.

Cheers bachelor. I'll check that out.

Jock

Land in Economics, booms and busts, poverty and justice:

www.henrygeorge.org

Free online courses and texts to download available.

The followers of Henry George put some noteable books out today also.

Including:

Kevin Cahill, author of "Who Owns Britian" and soon to be published "Who Owns the World"

HPC forum link 1 HPC forum link 2

Fred Harrison, author of "Boom Bust. House prices, banking and the depression of 2010"

HPC forum link

Also, "The Worldly Philosophers" by Robert Heilbroner writes about the life and times of the economists, so you can understand the context in which they developed their theories.

If anyone's interested in monetary reform and alternative currencies, check out these two books:

Grip of Death

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1...4491993-0714303

The first chapter can be viewed here:

http://lowbudgetlife.com/readarticle.php?article_id=1

The Money Changers

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1...4491993-0714303