House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Miracle Economy Forcing Young People Out Of Countryside

http://news.viewlondon.co.uk/Young_people_...e_17102395.html

26 April 2006 08:30:15 GMT

Young people 'forced out' of countryside

Young people are being "forced out" of the countryside due to a lack of affordable housing, according to a new report.
Social policy thinktank the Joseph Rowntree Foundation (JRF) blamed a lack of new rural housing and rising house prices for the problem.
A doubling of social housebuilding funded by the Housing Corporation in rural areas was called for, in order to create 1,750 homes annually in smaller rural settlements and 3,000 homes in larger areas.

So its back to mass social housing is it now? Maggie encouraged homeownership by ridding the country of social housing now its back thanks to 10 years of Miraculous Economics which has inflated house prices beyond the reach of millions. If the young are being forced out of the country and can't afford the city it looks like they might as well leave the country. Nice one Gordon.

Gordon: "Cake, let them eat cake...."

http://news.viewlondon.co.uk/Young_people_...e_17102395.html

26 April 2006 08:30:15 GMT

Young people 'forced out' of countryside

Young people are being "forced out" of the countryside due to a lack of affordable housing, according to a new report.
Social policy thinktank the Joseph Rowntree Foundation (JRF) blamed a lack of new rural housing and rising house prices for the problem.
A doubling of social housebuilding funded by the Housing Corporation in rural areas was called for, in order to create 1,750 homes annually in smaller rural settlements and 3,000 homes in larger areas.

So its back to mass social housing is it now? Maggie encouraged homeownership by ridding the country of social housing now its back thanks to 10 years of Miraculous Economics which has inflated house prices beyond the reach of millions. If the young are being forced out of the country and can't afford the city it looks like they might as well leave the country. Nice one Gordon.

Gordon: "Cake, let them eat cake...."

I think that when this sorry affair is over, housing policy will be very different to how it is now.

I don't think we can expect to price a generation out of affordable housing (whether bought or part bought or rented) without consequencies.

I know, why don't we start a campaign to build more houses.

Build thousands of new cheap affordable houses, a few minutes walk from employment to help solve the environmental issues.

Vote Ignorant - "less thinking makes life easy"

I know, why don't we start a campaign to build more houses.

Build thousands of new cheap affordable houses, a few minutes walk from employment to help solve the environmental issues.

We don't have to - we already have them in towns - it's all these new BTL flats built out of substandard materials with little long term value in the property itself with a short finite lifespan. If they do turn into the new social ghettoes, which is NOT unlikely given they are mostly rented and not O/O, then the stream of quality tenants will go to new ones and the older ones will need chavvier tenants - once one's in the whole place will quickly fill as everyone else moves away from them.

once one's in the whole place will quickly fill as everyone else moves away from them.

I was reading an article yesterday about people in America buying $500,000 houses on new developments then realising in horror that others had been bought by BTLs who rented them out to drug dealers and other such low-lifes. Apparently the builder required buyers to sign to say they'd live in their houses and not rent them out, but when the other buyers complained the builder just said 'not my problem mate, I just build the things'.

Needless to say, it can't be doing much for the value of their overpriced houses...

Edited by MarkG

We don't have to - we already have them in towns - it's all these new BTL flats built out of substandard materials with little long term value in the property itself with a short finite lifespan. If they do turn into the new social ghettoes, which is NOT unlikely given they are mostly rented and not O/O, then the stream of quality tenants will go to new ones and the older ones will need chavvier tenants - once one's in the whole place will quickly fill as everyone else moves away from them.

Yes, I agree.

Hence my scepticism about the change of tactic this site is taking. (See other thread).