House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sledgehead

Beetham Tower Tops Out

Manchester tower block highest residential space in Europe

Architect sees it as a mark of the city's bright future.

Anyone remember Cananry Wharf?

"Mr. Reichmann built Canary Wharf in the 1980's, only to lose it in 1992 to its bank lenders, in a move that helped push his Olympia & York Development Ltd. into bankruptcy proceedings."

PS: what a f@cking eye sore.

Edited by Sledgehead

what irony

a city reborn from the ruins of the IRA attack - stronger than before (or so goes the hype)

when really the rebirth is due to a credit bubble resulting from the attacks on the WTC. Attacks which went some way to persuading some Bostonian Americans that funding terrorists was neither glamourous nor intelligent.

One terrorism saved Manchester from another? Through the medium of property terrorism?

They've removed one of the large cranes. So it must be almost complete now. Some frontage still to do.

I will be watching to see how many more cranes, if any, appear in Manchester.

Selling them's not the issue, renting at a reasonable price in a time of massive oversupply and resale will be - I bet the service charge is as high as the tower and they will have been presold in bulk at 10-15% 'discounts' to the Irish MEW lot - just like everywhere else at the end of a plane ride from Dublin.

Selling them's not the issue, renting at a reasonable price in a time of massive oversupply and resale will be - I bet the service charge is as high as the tower and they will have been presold in bulk at 10-15% 'discounts' to the Irish MEW lot - just like everywhere else at the end of a plane ride from Dublin.

They forgot to put that on the marketing blurb :lol::lol: How uncanilly accurate ;)

Given the height of surounding areas, it reminds me of the sinister big tower block (combine citadel) in the excellent computer game, Half-Life 2.

The Orwellian 1984 overtones of the game and the style of new technology existing on top of, or side to side with old tech & buildings have disturbing parrallels with todays society.

see 3rd/4th game picture down (skip ad)

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/half-life-2/566240p1.html

A couple of years ago i was stunned at the amount of empty new built flats in Manchester, I shudder to think what its like now many more are finished.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Given the height of surounding areas, it reminds me of the sinister big tower block (combine citadel) in the excellent computer game, Half-Life 2.

The Orwellian 1984 overtones of the game and the style of new technology existing on top of, or side to side with old tech & buildings have disturbing parrallels with todays society.

see 3rd/4th game picture down http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/half-life-2/566240p5.html

A couple of years ago i was stunned at the amount of empty new built flats in Manchester, I shudder to think what its like now many more are finished.

`tis no better quite frankly, now here`s a thing, what is going on with all these bought/empty/not gone up in value places that have been built over the past two years in places such as M/chester? Do they occupy a parallel universe were paying their way doesn`t exist? Surely that is a dam that must be breached soon?

`tis no better quite frankly, now here`s a thing, what is going on with all these bought/empty/not gone up in value places that have been built over the past two years in places such as M/chester? Do they occupy a parallel universe were paying their way doesn`t exist? Surely that is a dam that must be breached soon?

Rents are falling, tenants are getting away with trashing the places, service charges that were kept low till it was all sold and the management co was transferred are about to hit very hard. Gf's dad owns two - he does not really care about cash flows (he's not exactly struggling) so will be happy to stay there for the long term and ride it out (and can afford to lose all value in it) - but he's the massive exception - I know of O/O there who have managed to sell at break even in the large developments and they are getting out to buy houses - not one is buying another flat in town.

That probably sums up the market for all new build in northern UK cities.

Has anyone bothered to explain the purpose of that architecturally gauche and rather pathetic overhang on the upper floors? Surely a plain box would have been better? Talk about form without function.

Has anyone bothered to explain the purpose of that architecturally gauche and rather pathetic overhang on the upper floors? Surely a plain box would have been better? Talk about form without function.

Is it to stop stone throwing yobs from landing a few on the penthouse's roof garden?

Is it to stop stone throwing yobs from landing a few on the penthouse's roof garden?

No it's to strengthen it against 747s.

I know the area well.....It's almost in Salford :lol: ......I wouldn't leave my car within 3 miles of this area even in broad daylight

i 'm biased against city living full stop but if i were forced to live in a place like Manchester and had £200k to spend I'd go for Didsbury over the wastelands of the inner city....It's a good thing places like Central Manchester are being developed but the prices are out of sync with those of conventional homes.....Even TTRTR and the btl GANG will concur ....that prices of new-build hotel-style flats are way out of line...everywhere in the Uk.......

Edited by Michael

If the bar on the 23rd floor (with glass floor to look at the swimming pool on the 2nd floor) is open to people in the flats then it'll be nice to be able to have a night out without leaving the building.

45 seconds from ground to top in the lift. yuck.

(not keen on lifts or tall buildings...)

Wonder if its earthquake proof.

If the bar on the 23rd floor (with glass floor to look at the swimming pool on the 2nd floor) is open to people in the flats then it'll be nice to be able to have a night out without leaving the building.

45 seconds from ground to top in the lift. yuck.

(not keen on lifts or tall buildings...)

Wonder if its earthquake proof.

God, that sounds pretty damn scary!!

Imagine someone getting drunk and running around - thats probably why i didnt get an invite then!

its an equilibrium deflector. used to channel wind into the air intake fans. like a supercharger for the cooling systems it rams air into the system from a higher cooler level, pushing the system air from top to botton. this has prevented the outrush of wind at the entrances. so no need for revolving doors ect..also im making this up.

now here`s a thing, what is going on with all these bought/empty/not gone up in value places that have been built over the past two years in places such as M/chester? Do they occupy a parallel universe were paying their way doesn`t exist?

They are being rented out as hotel rooms at £40 - £180 a night

Have a look at laterooms

They are being rented out as hotel rooms at £40 - £180 a night. Have a look at laterooms

Not seen this phenomenon discussed much here, but there are increasing numbers of city centre apartments being used this way — stayed in one myself in Glasgow recently.

47 storeys and only 219 apartments!!!

Only 4 left, must get one , can it be on the ground floor with a view of council flats, be in the shape of a shoe box, rabbit hutch, but come with an ensuite in the ahem master bedroom?

Can I pay an extra 15k for a parking space?

I wanna be the last fool!

47 storeys and only 219 apartments!!!

Only 4 left, must get one , can it be on the ground floor with a view of council flats, be in the shape of a shoe box, rabbit hutch, but come with an ensuite in the ahem master bedroom?

Can I pay an extra 15k for a parking space?

I wanna be the last fool!

24 floors and 219 appartments. The first 23 floors are all hotel.