House Price Crash Forum
Spring In The Air

Pound Trading Higher

I noticed in an idle moment today the pound was at 1.7895. Looked a bit later and it had gone down by a fag paper.

Last week (well, recently) you were all posting furiously about the pound crashing, hit about 1.73 if memory serves.

It has nipped back up without an interest rate rise. Weird or what! If this carries on I presume a cut will be in order?

http://today.reuters.co.uk/investing/finan...ERLING-OPEN.XML

Sterling ticks down, awaits UK GDP data

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:52 AM BST

LONDON, April 26 (Reuters) - Sterling edged away from the previous day's seven-month high against the dollar on Wednesday and fell to a two-week low versus the euro with investors awaiting Britain's first-quarter growth data.
By 0740 GMT the pound stood at $1.7836 <GBP=>, down 0.2 percent on the day and
off Tuesday's seven-month high of $1.7943.
Sterling fell to the two-week low of 69.59 pence per euro <EURGBP=>.
The UK economy is expected to have grown 0.6 percent on the quarter in the first three months of this year, giving a year-on-year growth rate of 2.2 percent, compared with 1.8 percent previously. The data is due at 0830 GMT.

U.S. $

9:27am

1 U.K. £ =

1 1.7837

I noticed in an idle moment today the pound was at 1.7895. Looked a bit later and it had gone down by a fag paper.

Last week (well, recently) you were all posting furiously about the pound crashing, hit about 1.73 if memory serves.

It has nipped back up without an interest rate rise. Weird or what! If this carries on I presume a cut will be in order?

It just means a lot of Sterling is being bought.

I wonder what that is in anticpiation of?

Ooh. Sterling up by 0.001% must mean interest rates are going down.

To be fair there have been plenty of threads saying "sterling tanking" when it goes down by 0.001% too.

Pound's actually down both against Euro and Japanese yen. It has recovered against dollar over last few weeks more due to the weekness of dollar and an anticipitaion of rate hike in the UK.

U.S. $

10:12am

1 U.K. £ =

1 1.7820

Pound off slightly on the GDP news. Market may see inability to lower rates as a problem for the UK given recessionary trends in production and service sectors.

http://freeserve.advfn.com/news_Forex---Do...y_15177536.html

The euro remained firm against the US currency, however, as yesterday's
strong German inflation data pointed to higher euro zone interest rates
"The G7/IMF call for greater currency appreciation across the emerging world
has been ignored thus far," said HBOS analyst Steve Pearson, adding that price
action in a number of Asian currencies is "heavily suggestive of official dollar
buying".

Looks like higher IR in EU soon?

If anyone here can seriously understand the forex market, you shouldn't be on the board, you should be making a boatload of cash from it! :D

I think it's pretty useless trying to second guess currency prices and rates, you'll drive yourselves mad. The only long term (ish) play that seems obvious is a bullish outlook for the yen against the dollar, but even then, ****** if i know.

I do know that GBP/USD is a very volatile pair, and prone to big moves. Don't worry about it, unless you're planning to trade forex/forex futures.

If anyone here can seriously understand the forex market, you shouldn't be on the board, you should be making a boatload of cash from it! :D

I think it's pretty useless trying to second guess currency prices and rates, you'll drive yourselves mad. The only long term (ish) play that seems obvious is a bullish outlook for the yen against the dollar, but even then, ****** if i know.

I do know that GBP/USD is a very volatile pair, and prone to big moves. Don't worry about it, unless you're planning to trade forex/forex futures.

That's right, trying to guess/judge currency movements is super-difficult, unless you're a real expert. Only a year or two ago the dollar was on the verge of collapse, before that it was the Euro... I'm amazed that so many people on HPC try to second guess things like currency and commodity movements. Even share prices, interest rate and property movements are very difficult to forecast. If you're a trader you trade what you see. And in my experience, one of the quickest ways to lose money is to have a long-term view. Sure, I believe that UK property prices will fall by 50% in the next few years, but I wouldn't bet on it!

Edited by Arctic Steve

I think the Swedes have decided to sell a large percentage of their dollar reserves to buy euros. So the pound, though hardly buoyant, is sinking slower than the dollar