House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DICKDASTARDLY

Best Saving Method For House Deposit

Currently have 27k saved in house "Deposit" fund Its in ISA/ and so called high int savings accounts. I am adding £500 per month. To try and beat inflation, Does anybody have any better ideas to put some ??? Please advise, domt have time to wade through all the previous posts. Ta

Currently have 27k saved in house "Deposit" fund Its in ISA/ and so called high int savings accounts. I am adding £500 per month. To try and beat inflation, Does anybody have any better ideas to put some ??? Please advise, domt have time to wade through all the previous posts. Ta

Look at funds. I have 300 quid per month going into a fund (wrapped in an ISA) and investing in Japan, Pacific and Europe. Its doing ok at the moment (about 3-4% increase per month). I got mine with Legal & General.

Edited by OzzMosiz

Funds normally mean unit trusts. I prefer investment trusts. The basic difference is that when you buy unit trusts, you are giving them money which they then buy more of the underlying assets with (hence open ended). However it may not be a good time to buy those assets but they have to nonetheless (this is probably a bit of a simplification but it illustrates the point). The same is true when you go to sell a unit trust. They have to sell underlying assets to give you your money, but again it might not be a good time.

With investment trusts you are buying shares in an investment company off somebody else. The investment trust doesn't really care who owns the shares. The amount of money they have to invest is unchanged by you buying them. They are tradeable like any other share.

Both are collective investments and primarily offer diversification for the small investor. You give them your 1k or whatever and you get either units (unit trusts) or shares in the investment company (investment trusts) and they then invest in a wide range of investments. It would not e possible for small investors to get the same diversification due to the dealing costs if they did it themselves.

You also benefit from their investment expertise, depending on how actively they are managed.

Lots more info on TrustNet.

Look at funds. I have 300 quid per month going into a fund (wrapped in an ISA) and investing in Japan, Pacific and Europe. Its doing ok at the moment (about 3-4% increase per month). I got mine with Legal & General.

Crikey thats a good return, youre looking at ~45% AER then, and no tax to pay :o

Crikey thats a good return, youre looking at ~45% AER then, and no tax to pay :o

Commodities funds did >75% last year so it depends which sector you're in.*

* "Last year" being the key phrase. I don't think they'll be so hot this year.

Edited by Nijo

Assuming it stays the rate of increase is the same or more, then yeah. I'm expecting more

like 15-25% anymore and I'll be well please