House Price Crash Forum

Not sure if this has been a topic before, but I'd like to get to the bottom of why VI's spend so much time, and effort on here.

There seems to be a flush of them at the moment, quite a few who 1st registered around last Augusts IR cut, then dissappeared.

No doubt many are EA's, mortage advisors, some alledgedly NuLab/Treasury apparatchiks and interns, Rightmove employees [Zorn], and others [TTRTR] just here for a laugh?

My question is, are they really so bored that they'd rather while away their time debating on a forum, or do they see their efforts as a neccessary part of keeping the market going?

As HPC is one of the few places to find discussion on house prices, surely they aren't here trying to convert a core of a couple of hundred property bears?

Or is it to ensure that theres a continuous stream of bull stories to counter crash arguements, so when not-so-regular visitors to the site look around, they see a bunch of mixed-messages.

If thats the case, what could we infer from their efforts?

Had it occurred to you that most people are actually quite bullish in the country as a whole? This site is completely unrepresentative. I'm not saying that everyone is predicting 20% rises but stability, slow growth, soft landing is the consensus.

Let's have a scale, 1 being complete bear, 10 being complete bull.

I think I am about a 3 or a 4. My guess is people on this site who remember me think I'm a 6 or 7, maybe even an 8. When I speak to friends (banker who has a BTL, another bank worker who has let his PPR and is renting, girlfriend - potential FTB, a couple of estate agents) they all think I'm a 1.

VIs as you call them do not think they'll change the market, and if they do they are stupid... people have different opinions and if it is bullish then they are an EA or mortgage broker and a VI, if they are bearish they are looking to buy a bigger house, or a first house and are equally a VI but don't get labelled as such.

VIs come here to destroy debate, not encourage it.

Surely anything that breaks up the tiresome circle-jerk that typifies the "discussions" here is constructive, not destructive.

Guest The_Oldie

Surely anything that breaks up the tiresome circle-jerk that typifies the "discussions" here is constructive, not destructive.

If you find this forum tiresome, why do you keep posting here?

If you find this forum tiresome, why do you keep posting here?

My point exactly - why?

Does the circle-jerk refer to your avatar Seamaster? - since you appeared [or changed your guise] I thought it looked decidedly like an old duffer having a w*nk

I must admit, as I have said before, I came here because one of my lads told me about it. I am under no illusion that I need to redeem some souls on here to keep the property market going :rolleyes::rolleyes: nor am I on a mission to prove a point. If I agreed with the consensus on here, what would be the point of posting comments?

There is a 'I'm right, you're wrong', 'I understand the world/finance/property, you don't' faction on here that, frankly, slightly annoy me with their pontifications so, in idle moments, I like to point out that they might be wrong. I am not bothered if the half dozen regular posters on here decide to stay out of the market. Good luck to them.

Are you bothered by people posting on here whose views do not coincide with your own?

I'd love to see more VIs posting, but with credible arguments to discuss as opposed to throw-away statements and sweeping generalisations. I've yet to see a credible argument to substntiate the bulls' view.

VIs come here to destroy debate, not encourage it.

You forget that the bears on this site are the biggest VIs of all. Nothing wrong in that, we all have an interest in all sorts of economic and social outcomes, and these will usually be in conflict with each other.

Problem is, people use the term VI as a pejorative term on this site, almost as if they are some covert group who have monthly meetings where they decise how to do evil to buyers

I think people need to get real. Would you complain if any other industry tried to sell you the benefits of its products, or told you that prices of their goods will be higher this time next year? Take a good, honest hard look at your own jobs. Would you really tell a customer he'd be better off waiting a year, because prices will be lower? No, I thought not.

There is no conspiracy. Prices are high coz someone's paying them. Simple as.

I must admit, as I have said before, I came here because one of my lads told me about it.

Is your memory failing you SITA? - last week you admitted to being an Estate Agent. Suffering concusion from a prang in your mini?

So interesting to those of us who like to observe the ebb and flow of Human interaction in it's many forms.

Internet forums bringing a new dimension to personal communications reaching as it does across many divides.

Just who is at that other keyboard?

You forget that the bears on this site are the biggest VIs of all.

True - especially me. I STR'd locking in my profit, and now I want prices to fall so I can buy again. However, I also believe the economy as a whole needs a nasty, short sharp shock to get things healthy again.

However, this site is called www.housepricecrash.co.uk - not www.housepriceindifferent.co.uk.

it's the guy sitting at the desk directly opposite. You always wondered why he looked so intense and was a bit whiffy... :)

So interesting to those of us who like to observe the ebb and flow of Human interaction in it's many forms.

Internet forums bringing a new dimension to personal communications reaching as it does across many divides.

It's me! Casual Observer!

Does the circle-jerk refer to your avatar Seamaster? - since you appeared [or changed your guise] I thought it looked decidedly like an old duffer having a w*nk

Funny, because it was either your avatar or your postings made me think you're a space cadet.

I can agree with all the posters comments on this thread, how cool is that :D

Father Ted your right regards others peceptions of one another, being different to the actual position we all believe we hold.

Taking that analogy on to the world stage, and having the capacity to see others as they see themselves. I'm sure would solve alot of the ills of this world.................but as the Industrial Mliltary Complex would say, where's the profit in that :rolleyes:

However, this site is called www.housepricecrash.co.uk - not www.housepriceindifferent.co.uk.

Not sure I understand the relevance of that comment. or that it deals with my main point, which is that prices are high because enough people feel it sensible to buy at those prices.

I'm not sure how, by questioning the value of ranting about "evil VIs", I portray indifference (if that's what you implied) or how such ranting serves any bear here any good whatsoever.

I'm not sure how, by questioning the value of ranting about "evil VIs", I portray indifference (if that's what you implied) or how such ranting serves any bear here any good whatsoever.

That's not what I implied. I was saying that pointing out members of a website with such a specific (and extreme?) viewpoint are VIs in themselves is a little obvious.

There are posters here who provide some balance to the more extreme bears. Others however have an agenda that seems to be based on sneering at anyone who can't 'afford' a house. I think these are the ones this thread refers to.

Edited by tahoma

Good grief. Can't even bring my self to comment on this statement.

Cos I did it already! Woo hoo :lol:

THERES VI'S AND THERES VI'S.

Ah, you see, you prove your paranoia with that reply. I didn't say you were as bad as the industry VIs (since I don't believe badness comes into it, for the reasons I gave) or that you were as influential (of course you're not, any more than you could be when hoping for cheaper beer or any other commodity)

But I was questioning the value to Bears of dismissing every story that they don't like as being the evil product of the nasty VIs. This is very prevalent on this site, and means that people forget the real reason prices are high... because enough people find current prices affordable, whether you or I like it or not.

A VI can't cause a property to sell for more than a certain amount, but you are naive to think that the housing industry never previously tried to talk up the market. Just like I do in my business and, I bet most others here in their businesses.

Ah, you see, you prove your paranoia with that reply. I didn't say you were as bad as the industry VIs (since I don't believe badness comes into it, for the reasons I gave) or that you were as influential (of course you're not, any more than you could be when hoping for cheaper beer or any other commodity)

But I was questioning the value to Bears of dismissing every story that they don't like as being the evil product of the nasty VIs. This is very prevalent on this site, and means that people forget the real reason prices are high... because enough people find current prices affordable, whether you or I like it or not.

A VI can't cause a property to sell for more than a certain amount, but you are naive to think that the housing industry never previously tried to talk up the market. Just like I do in my business and, I bet most others here in their businesses.

Real VI's lie. And they know they're doing it.

For example, Recent Headling: Houses to rise 100% in next ten years. Utter toss obviously.

I myself am not paranoid. But I am sick to the back teeth of muppets trying to say that HPC posters are the themselves comparable to the VI's. If only we had the money and resources that they do.

I might be able to afford a house :rolleyes: