House Price Crash Forum

Bbc2 Daily Politics Show Now

HOLA441
HOLA442
Guest Baffled_by_it_all

All this 'key worker' stuff gets on my nerves. First class and second class citizens is more like it. If I had a £50,000 handout from the government I could get a place no problem. God knows I've paid as much tax as a fireman, nurse etc.

HOLA443
Guest Cletus VanDamme

A well-reported piece I thought. Acknowledged the crazy prices in Cambridge.

The key-worker homes featured looked quite nice. Much better than others I have seen (normally built on a busy main road on a post-industrial wasteland to keep the CPRE happy)

But many of these key-worker flats are remaining unsold apparently.

I can see why. Some years ago we looked into shared ownership. The figures didn't add up. By the time you have paid:

1) mortgage on say a 50% share

2) rent on the remaining share (not insubstantial, 200 per month)

3) service charge and ground rent

your monthly payments are the same, if not more, than buying on the open market.

HOLA444

All this 'key worker' stuff gets on my nerves. First class and second class citizens is more like it.

Totally agree, I wonder if we will ever see angry second class citizens confronting a section of the first class citizenry [in riot grear] on the streets. Or will the disenfranchised just bend over and take it up the @rse as usual.

Jobs going abroad, imported cheap labour supressing wages, state employees given tax payer hand outs , thus supporting an inflated housing market. It begs the question, who is this government really working for. :ph34r:

HOLA445
Guest Baffled_by_it_all

First Class Citizen Scheme sums it up.

I'm not begrudging a nurse a home. But if they sort out this bloody mess and then we'll nearly ALL be able to afford somewhere on average wages. Instead they're letting second home ownership and BTL shoot up without any financial weighting favouring first-time buyers. People who just want a home not a bundle of greasy money.