House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Latest Poll: Labour Slump To A 19 Year Low

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/25042006/325/labo...9-year-low.html

Labour support slips to 19-year low

Tuesday April 25, 01:55 AM

LONDON (Reuters) - Support for Prime Minister Tony Blair's Labour party has fallen to a 19-year low ahead of local elections next month, according to a poll on Tuesday.
Blair has faced a barrage of negative headlines for weeks over Labour's handling of the state-run healthcare system and his party's acceptance of loans from wealthy businessmen.
The poll found Labour's support was at its lowest point since the 1987 election, when the party suffered a heavy defeat to the Conservatives under Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/25042006/325/labo...9-year-low.html

Labour support slips to 19-year low

Tuesday April 25, 01:55 AM

LONDON (Reuters) - Support for Prime Minister Tony Blair's Labour party has fallen to a 19-year low ahead of local elections next month, according to a poll on Tuesday.
Blair has faced a barrage of negative headlines for weeks over Labour's handling of the state-run healthcare system and his party's acceptance of loans from wealthy businessmen.
The poll found Labour's support was at its lowest point since the 1987 election, when the party suffered a heavy defeat to the Conservatives under Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

Goody, lets have the Tories back just like 1979. No wait a minute wasn't that when all this consumer madness kicked off in the first place?

Goody, lets have the Tories back just like 1979. No wait a minute wasn't that when all this consumer madness kicked off in the first place?

It actually began under Elizabeth 1st--when England became a world power and people began to trade in commodoties and imports such as tobacco, gold, spices etc. It spawned the consumer society. Not much has chnaged since the 16th century it seems.

If you don't want this lot, and you don't want that lot, which lot do you want? What do you think needs to happen to bring about a fairer society?

If you don't want this lot, and you don't want that lot, which lot do you want? What do you think needs to happen to bring about a fairer society?

How about a few referendums every now & again?

The system we live under ain't real democracy IMO. It's just a big con to vote for 1 brand of ruling party or another. Even the brands are blurring together.

It actually began under Elizabeth 1st--when England became a world power and people began to trade in commodoties and imports such as tobacco, gold, spices etc. It spawned the consumer society. Not much has chnaged since the 16th century it seems.

So nothing changes then? Not life expectancy, working conditions, property ownership, distribution of wealth etc etc etc. No wonder you believe in economic cycles.

The key point is the Government has lost popularity because the strong economic confditions they inherited from the Conservatives, which were built up with a lot of change and a lot of pain, have been squandered to the point where propsperity has been destroyed by higher and higher taxes, not in the rich but on ordinary people.

A Labour government not constrained by attempting to pander to the disproportionate voices of tabloid newspaper owners and to take back into public ownership the infrastructure of the country that has been sold off over the past 20 years. Of course that would require the great British public to wake up and realise that they have all been conned since 1979. That would be a start.

The key point is the Government has lost popularity because the strong economic confditions they inherited from the Conservatives, which were built up with a lot of change and a lot of pain, have been squandered to the point where propsperity has been destroyed by higher and higher taxes, not in the rich but on ordinary people.

Maggie sold us, Blair gets in on a lie and squanders the inheritance, instead of clawing some of it back ... so who runs the show now?

The same people Maggie sold us to in the first place, that's who!

A Labour government not constrained by attempting to pander to the disproportionate voices of tabloid newspaper owners and to take back into public ownership the infrastructure of the country that has been sold off over the past 20 years. Of course that would require the great British public to wake up and realise that they have all been conned since 1979. That would be a start.

When the government owned the infrastructure of this country it was a joke. Endless strikes was the order of the day. Railways today, power workers tomorrow, miners the day after.

Culminating in the dead being left unburied and rubbish up to the first floor on the streets of London. And, correct me if I am wrong but the base rate for income tax was 33p in the pound.

No thanks.

(Of course income tax now is effectively a minimum of 33 pence in the pound because the current crop of con-artists have simply taxed everything else.)

How about a few referendums every now & again?

The system we live under ain't real democracy IMO. It's just a big con to vote for 1 brand of ruling party or another. Even the brands are blurring together.

I agree. There's ample scope for increased voter participation in government. I'd suggest it would be for the government of the day to formulate policy and we vote for whether we approve same. Or not, as the case may be.

So nothing changes then? Not life expectancy, working conditions, property ownership, distribution of wealth etc etc etc. No wonder you believe in economic cycles.

Life expectancy reallly has no bearing on the economic cycle. It alters its dynamics but not the supply and demand cycles and the constant moving back toward equilibrium.

Property "ownership" similarly alters the dynamics but not the recurrence of cycles. Many think they own their houses today and yet the reality is that they are more indebted than any other generation that has gone before. hence the more dramatic booms and busts when they cycle around.

The Economic Cycle is a fact. Just like life cycles in biology are a fact. Things grow, flourish and die. Because we live in a dynamic and not a static world change is inevitable as a cycle is, by definition, an ever changing sequence of events. The constant, equilibrium remains. Just as there is a constant in biology that never changes: death.

If there was no change in the economy the buy low sell high maxim would not apply.

Life expectancy reallly has no bearing on the economic cycle. It alters its dynamics but not the supply and demand cycles and the constant moving back toward equilibrium.

Property "ownership" similarly alters the dynamics but not the recurrence of cycles. Many think they own their houses today and yet the reality is that they are more indebted than any other generation that has gone before. hence the more dramatic booms and busts when they cycle around.

The Economic Cycle is a fact. Just like life cycles in biology are a fact. Things grow, flourish and die. Because we live in a dynamic and not a static world change is inevitable as a cycle is, by definition, an ever changing sequence of events. The constant, equilibrium remains. Just as there is a constant in biology that never changes: death.

If there was no change in the economy the buy low sell high maxim would not apply.

Homo Sapiens though believes that theses cycles can ultimately be controlled.

It's interesting watching the feeble attempts.

Thanks be to the great Robin Cook in the sky! (my God subsitute) I am not alone!

Guest Riser

Its the prospect of Gordon Brown as PM that will have put many off, mot people I know can't stand the man. I can't wait until the media spotlight focuses on his miracle economy, then the wheels really will come of this Nu Labour bandwagon.

I think the great British public is not a stupid as it would seem with all the HPI/MEW that has been going on. Most may be coming to the realisation that miracle economies do not exist and that we are starting to see reality in the form of lost jobs, higher taxes, rising inflation in the non-discretionaries and an arrogant and strutting government that does not listen anymore.

The polls say it all.

I think the great British public is not a stupid as it would seem with all the HPI/MEW that has been going on. Most may be coming to the realisation that miracle economies do not exist and that we are starting to see reality in the form of lost jobs, higher taxes, rising inflation in the non-discretionaries and an arrogant and strutting government that does not listen anymore.

The polls say it all.

Bring on the Tories and today will seem like a picnic.

Edited by nodumsunreader

There is really no difference between Labour and Tory anymore.

In 10 years, what individual and interesting, novel policies have the Tories come up with?

Absolutely none. All they do is jump on the media bandwagon, for example, they pick up on the fact that the media is slating HIPS - Tory announcement 'we would remove HIPS'

They are frankly sad and desperate. I'm a typical Tory voter but I just cannot bring myself to vote for them anymore because there is no difference and I want new and innovative policies.

The Lib Dems wouldn't be my first choice but at least they are prepared to be individual and come up with some new ideas - like changing council tax etc.

I hate the politics in this country, most of all I hate Labour for destroying this country. Who gave Labour the right to let in 500,000 immigrants every year which is drastically altering this country. I'm not anti immigration but it has to be controlled. I can't just move to Australia, Canada, US. Why should this country be so bloody liberal. What right has Tony Blair got changing this country? Does he have a right over you or I to alter OUR country?

I'll be voting BNP as a protest vote.

Edited by munimula

Bring on the Tories and today will seem like a picnic.

Today IS a picnic. I was watching the news this morning and a woman was talking about having to repay some of her tax credits. Can't remember the exact phrase, but it went something like this:

"Of course, we don't really need the money - it's not like the kids are going to miss out on anything..."

My blood nearly boiled - is this why I'm taxed so heavily? To give money to people who don't need it. F'cking great Labour Policy - get rid of them asap is what I say.

I'll be voting BNP as a protest vote.

I will not. But it has to be said - Nick Griffin was far more articulate and sounded more sensible on Sky this morning than the minister for local government something or other who was interviewed after him. If the established parties do themselves any more damage (most egregiously the cases against the BNP and the resulting free publicity) I can see the BNP becoming a factor locally in more than just the worst immigration hot spots.

It's a shame we diodn't get round to organising 1 or more HPC candidates for the 4th May local elections. I think, particularly in London, we could have generated quite a bit of publicity to give us the opportunity to de-bunk VI spin and to put forward the HPC perspective(s). Getting votes wouldn't really have been the aim. All participating voters would have seen the presence of an HPC candidate on the ballot paper which would have led to many a conversation being held about it. Also it would have been fairly easy to have got some media (newspaper, radio, TV) interviews. As I said a while ago the media love something different to report about during the elections season. The potential of HPC to act as a platform for tackling VI spin has always remained greatly undeveloped imo, and spin has been a major force in letting this house price bubble go on and on and on.

Today IS a picnic. I was watching the news this morning and a woman was talking about having to repay some of her tax credits. Can't remember the exact phrase, but it went something like this:

"Of course, we don't really need the money - it's not like the kids are going to miss out on anything..."

My blood nearly boiled - is this why I'm taxed so heavily? To give money to people who don't need it. F'cking great Labour Policy - get rid of them asap is what I say.

This really is a new labour scandal:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4939186.stm

Tax credits overpaid by 2.2 billion for the second year in a row. The government has already admitted that 1 billion of the overspend for the first two years won't be recovered. Together with unknown amounts of fraud this really is a case of taxpayers money wasted on a massive scale.