House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

50,000 Immigrants To Come To U K From Bulgaria & Romania

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/25042006/325/thin...-moving-uk.html

Thinktank sees 50,000 migrants moving to UK Tuesday April 25, 07:15 AM

Click to enlarge photo

LONDON (Reuters) - More than 50,000 Romanian and Bulgarian immigrants will move to Britain next year if their countries join the European Union, a thinktank estimated on Tuesday.
Some 41,000 will come from Romania and 15,000 from Bulgaria if Brussels gives the countries the go-ahead to join on January 1, 2007, the Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) said.
The estimate is based on what happened after May 2004, when thousands of East European immigrants -- far more than the government expected -- took advantage of EU accession to move to Britain to find work.
Britain was a particularly attractive destination for East Europeans because it was one of only a handful of "old" EU states to open its labour markets to migrants from the 10 new accession countries.
The IPPR, regarded as politically close to the government of Prime Minister
Tony Blair, said the impact of Romanian and Bulgarian migrants on the economy would be limited and largely positive

Good thing we are creating new jobs and have the capacity to build mass housing for the influx. I wonder if Tony is right about the impact being positive though? With jobs dissappearing in the UK and an alleged housing shortage for thoise already here won't an additional 50,000 mean more government housing will have to be built? Unless of course, the 50,000 are very wealthy and get get onto the property ladder. Could it be Gordon's plan to keep HPI going perhaps?

Could Tony be acting like a silly billy when the other EU countries have simply said no--there are not enough jobs for existing people and tens of thousands from outside will just make things worse. Oh well, in the "Miracle Economy"....................

Why Tuesday, can't they come on Weds so we have more time to prepare (o:

Why Tuesday, can't they come on Weds so we have more time to prepare (o:

BA are offering cut rate flights today--other airlines followed suit, hence the rush.

"More than 50,000 Romanian and Bulgarian immigrants will move to Britain next year "

That's just in one year and doesn't include the extra 80,000 Poles/Lithuanians coming in this year and next year and the year after that...Of course the PC brigade believe they live 40 to a house..believe me they do not! And many are now bringing their families...Do we have extra homes, hospitals, schools etc? No!

Unbelievable that a so called labour government does this just to get an extra 1% growth p.a.

"More than 50,000 Romanian and Bulgarian immigrants will move to Britain next year "

That's just in one year and doesn't include the extra 80,000 Poles/Lithuanians coming in this year and next year and the year after that...Of course the PC brigade believe they live 40 to a house..believe me they do not! And many are now bringing their families...Do we have extra homes, hospitals, schools etc? No!

Unbelievable that a so called labour government does this just to get an extra 1% growth p.a.

Votes, don't forget the votes! And it will keep HPI going for awhile longer (As Gordon thinks) although I am not sure if a Romanian immigrant will be able to afford much in the Cities where there are still jobs left. Council Housing will be a good solution. Jobs? Well if there are not enough jobs to go around there is always the sausage.

Don't forget the flip-side of this. The UK would have a recession & maybe even an HPC if it weren't for growth.

Ooo..shudder at the thought.....

:lol:

Don't forget the flip-side of this. The UK would have a recession & maybe even an HPC if it weren't for growth.

Ooo..shudder at the thought.....

:lol:

I think you may be right. HPI is a hungry animal and must be fed ever greater meals to keep it satisfied. The declining jobs market may well starve it to death. IR hikes would be a kinder way of popping the bubble but either way the times they are a changine.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/25042006/325/thin...-moving-uk.html

Click to enlarge photo

LONDON (Reuters) - More than 50,000 Romanian and Bulgarian immigrants will move to Britain next year if their countries join the European Union, a thinktank estimated on Tuesday.
Some 41,000 will come from Romania and 15,000 from Bulgaria if Brussels gives the countries the go-ahead to join on January 1, 2007, the Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) said.
The estimate is based on what happened after May 2004, when thousands of East European immigrants -- far more than the government expected -- took advantage of EU accession to move to Britain to find work.
Britain was a particularly attractive destination for East Europeans because it was one of only a handful of "old" EU states to open its labour markets to migrants from the 10 new accession countries.
The IPPR, regarded as politically close to the government of Prime Minister
Tony Blair, said the impact of Romanian and Bulgarian migrants on the economy would be limited and largely positive

Good thing we are creating new jobs and have the capacity to build mass housing for the influx. I wonder if Tony is right about the impact being positive though? With jobs dissappearing in the UK and an alleged housing shortage for thoise already here won't an additional 50,000 mean more government housing will have to be built? Unless of course, the 50,000 are very wealthy and get get onto the property ladder. Could it be Gordon's plan to keep HPI going perhaps?

Could Tony be acting like a silly billy when the other EU countries have simply said no--there are not enough jobs for existing people and tens of thousands from outside will just make things worse. Oh well, in the "Miracle Economy"....................

And people are wondering why far right parties such as the bnp are garnering new support daily.....please dont take this as my support/condoning of such parties and policys but believe me there is a large part of the population that will see there politics as appealing........just think if there were not so many immigrants coming in(item club report last week) i would be getting another .5% interest on my savings and would have to pay more for my dvds,mp3 and plastic garden furniture,now i wonder what would i prefer........

And people are wondering why far right parties such as the bnp are garnering new support daily.....please dont take this as my support/condoning of such parties and policys but believe me there is a large part of the population that will see there politics as appealing........just think if there were not so many immigrants coming in(item club report last week) i would be getting another .5% interest on my savings and would have to pay more for my dvds,mp3 and plastic garden furniture,now i wonder what would i prefer........

You are right. At the end of the day people need to protect themselves and in times of desperation it calls for desperate measures.

NuLabour want us to believe that a desire to not have more immigrants come at this time is racism. Most nations not relying on a miracle to keep their economy moving will see the sense in restricting incoming labour when jobs are getting scarce on the home market.

It is little wonder than the masses of unemployed or under-employed from the poorer E European countries want to come here. Its a no-lose situation. If you get work you earn more. IF you don't get work you are still better off as you get free housing and benefits. The UK must be a magnet economy rather than a miracle economy.

Guest Cletus VanDamme

As someone pointed out on another topic, mainstream parties want immigration as it does dynamise the economy. There is the argument that it helps keep down wages. There may be some truth in that, given that Bush is in favour of an amnesty for the illegal immigrants from Mexico etc.

I deplore the far-right, but I am nervous about this unlimited immigration. I would like to see maybe a 2-year, moratorium: no new or very limited immigration for 2 years, then review it when we know where we are.

IF you don't get work you are still better off as you get free housing and benefits. The UK must be a magnet economy rather than a miracle economy.

I don't think the rules allow this, from the accession countries at least.

I deplore the far-right, but I am nervous about this unlimited immigration. I would like to see maybe a 2-year, moratorium: no new or very limited immigration for 2 years, then review it when we know where we are.

My sentiment entirely,we are opening up a whole new can of worms with our extreemly lax immigration policy but this is as noted completely down to our goverments desiore to keep the cap on wages therefore allowing our "low inflation" economy to keep getting fed by low interest rates,not doing much for the unemployment figures though which is being boosted by the indeginous population while a large majority of new jobs especially the "mc jobs" are going to the immigrants, it is in this unemployment figure that more people are seing the damaging affects of immigration and anyway in my opinion are low wages a good thing?not for me or most of the population i suspect......

Guest Guy_Montag

As soon as they stop cannot save more by working here than they could back home, they will move on to another country or back home.

Two ways this can happen:

1) Not enough jobs to go round & since they cannot claim benefits, they have to move on.

2) They get a job, but even staying in cheap accomodation they can save more by living & working in another country.

The whole point of economic migrants is that they move to where the money is best, so while the UK is seeing the good times there will be an influx. When the miracle economy gives up the ghost (as I expect it will by the end of the year), they will return home with their English fortunes.

I have been told by Lithuanians and Poles that their numbers are around 50 times as many in Britain than in SWeden, even though the Swedish economy is only about 6 times smaller than ours and this is because without being overtly racist the Swedes make them feel like outsiders and second class citizens whereas Britain is a melting pot..................where anyone's face fits........Ireland which traditionally isn't an immigration country has even higher EE immigration than us.....

The problem with this and the attraction of the language spoken here being the lingua franca of the whole world is that people will come here even with no work available......EEs can claim state benefits if they are ''habitually'' resident in the uk......meaning if they've lived here a year.....but how do they prove they've lived here a year????????

and have you ever wondered why London has the highest unemployment rate in the uk?.........

High house prices and rents encourage low earners to play the system and claim every benefit going while working on the sly which must be easy in a city of that size.............

Edited by Michael

You are right. At the end of the day people need to protect themselves and in times of desperation it calls for desperate measures.

Like coming to the UK in the first place :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think you may be right. HPI is a hungry animal and must be fed ever greater meals to keep it satisfied. The declining jobs market may well starve it to death. IR hikes would be a kinder way of popping the bubble but either way the times they are a changine.

What on earth do you mean ' the times they are a changing?'. Times never change. There is nothing new under the sun. The economic cycle will have its way and take us back to Go.

Make your mind up lad.

Edited by Spring In The Air

Particularly attractive because we are so soft on crime and we make an easy target for their organised crime gangs.

Read something recently that said that jails are now 50% full of immigrants.

Organised gangs are now running riot in London, rich pickings for them.

Indeed on the box this morning the police are reporting that there are loads of gangs running immigration rackets, selling women as slaves and all sorts. They say the authorities and public have no idea what is going on and the problem is widespread.

Don't you just love this government?

Thing is, a lot of the east European guys coming across here are actually quite skilled - especially with respect to building / construction. I for one would certainly vote for these guys being given government funded jobs to construct housing, especially council housing. In just the borough of london that I live in, over 120 million pounds is spent every single year on paying rent to private landlords to house people - why not put all that cash into building flats and houses for people who need them?

Totally agree.

I've been thinking for a long time that if a BNP "clone" party was to rise, which didn't have any of the BNPs percieved "tarnished" history, and had a good and relatable front man / woman, they would pull in massive votes.

I hope the BNP carry on reforming as they seem to have got their act together. Fingers crossed, by the next election, they will have become a force, not a mere presence.

I for one am sick of the immigration situation. I don't expect to emmigrate and be given all the help that many immigrants over here get. But they know they will get overly generous help, and the locals are not allowed to be hostile in fear of being labelled racist! so they get the red carpet treatment. It has to come to an end.

Indeed on the box this morning the police are reporting that there are loads of gangs running immigration rackets, selling women as slaves and all sorts. They say the authorities and public have no idea what is going on and the problem is widespread.

Don't you just love this government?

I suspect that the authorites have a very good idea what is going on but lack the political will to do anything about it.

I do think that the media down plays the role of essentially foreign crime gangs I suspect that if the public knew the truth there'd be an outcry.

Wasn't there an instance recently where the government had effectively colluded with Kurdish crime gangs who controlled 90% of Britains heroin? The government then assisted them in moving here from Turkey. I mean you couldn't make it up.

You have to hand it to the mainstream poltical parties. The millions of pounds spent on spin and deceit really make millions back for thier funding sources.

+++ Spin: Debate of Mass immigration = Racism, politics of hate... ++

And enough people fall for it, to prevent any debate!

Capital economics have came up with another idiot forecast, that HPI will rise in line with earnings.

HPI has broken its link with earnings, renting will be the new norm over the next decade as the population rises to 70m.