House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

D I Y Giant Wicked Wickes Sees Further Falls

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/money/busines...-name_page.html

25 April 2006

SALES DOWN AT DIY FIRM WICKES

BUILDERS merchant Travis Perkins yesterday said weak consumer spending was continuing to restrain sales at their Wickes arm, despite a recent pick-up in the housing market.
Like-for-like sales at Wickes, acquired in February last year, were
9.4 per cent lower
in the 16 weeks to April 22.

Another sign.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/money/busines...-name_page.html

25 April 2006

SALES DOWN AT DIY FIRM WICKES

BUILDERS merchant Travis Perkins yesterday said weak consumer spending was continuing to restrain sales at their Wickes arm, despite a recent pick-up in the housing market.
Like-for-like sales at Wickes, acquired in February last year, were
9.4 per cent lower
in the 16 weeks to April 22.

Another sign.

Don't you just love how they throw in "despite a recent pick-up in the housing market" at the end.

It's the very reason that the housing market is collapsing why the proffits of the DIY stores and builders merchants are falling off a cliff!!

If the proffits of B&Q and builders merchants make a sudden turn around then we can all accept that the housing market has recovered. That Fair?

Don't you just love how they throw in "despite a recent pick-up in the housing market" at the end.

It's the very reason that the housing market is collapsing why the proffits of the DIY stores and builders merchants are falling off a cliff!!

If the proffits of B&Q and builders merchants make a sudden turn around then we can all accept that the housing market has recovered. That Fair?

Seems fair to me. Prepare to accept the market has recovered. The levels of activity I am witnessing are higher than for 3 years.

Seems fair to me. Prepare to accept the market has recovered. The levels of activity I am witnessing are higher than for 3 years.

Just out of interest... in the last couple of years did you actually admit that the market was struggling?

Wicked Wickes and the other DIY merchants might all be optimistic about the future (they have to protect their share prices after all) but the present reality indicates business is not doing too well. DIY is a good barometer for the health of the housing industry. Less spending means less activity in the marketplace. No more money to be made on buy to flip.

Wicked Wickes and the other DIY merchants might all be optimistic about the future (they have to protect their share prices after all) but the present reality indicates business is not doing too well. DIY is a good barometer for the health of the housing industry. Less spending means less activity in the marketplace. No more money to be made on buy to flip.

But also we should take into account that 6 years ago a large proportion of properties needed work of some sort- that's now changed and most properties hitting the market already have recent bathrooms/kitchens etc.

Personally I suspect that it'll be a long time before the DIY chains do such large ammounts of business again no matter what the state of the housing market.