House Price Crash Forum
sam

Is It Not Possible To Have A Strong Economy

Is it possible i wonder to have a strong economy with affordable housing.

We just cannot seem to get it right in this Country, it has nearly always been one or the other.

I can think of a handfull of Countrys(Texas USA springs to mind) where in the past it was possible to do well within a thriving economy and afford a good home without resorting to playing silly speculating games.

I mean, how sick is it that many in the UK WANT the economy to tank so they can get on the property ladder, i include myself in tht group, and as a person that has his own business and who would probably suffer.

Sam

It seems clear to me that the current market has been driven by speculation. Given the essential nature of housing a stringent tax on second home ownership and capital gains tax on all property ownership, including your own home, would mean that, in a booming economy, people invested or saved elsewhere.

It all part of the UK's ongoing boom-bust economy. This time its worse because the architect of the "Miracle Economy" has exacerbated the boom part of the cycle by facilitating irresponsible lending. The problem is that Gordon has not done anything to reign in the bubble economy because he came to believe in his own Miracle thinking that there would only be "boom" and no more "bust." He thought, for a while at least, that he had overcome the economic cycle by creating wealth through endless borrowing and ever increasing house prices to keep the cash flow moving in one direction.

Sorry Gordon, no Noble Prize for economics.

It certainly is possible.

Trouble is that to Nu Labour and 'Crash' Gordon Brown the housing market IS THE ECONOMY!!!

De-couple the housing market from the economy in the UK and there is nothing substantial underpinning UK plc, certainly for the man on the street who will never be employed by the financial sector.

Is it possible i wonder to have a strong economy with affordable housing.

We just cannot seem to get it right in this Country, it has nearly always been one or the other.

I can think of a handfull of Countrys(Texas USA springs to mind) where in the past it was possible to do well within a thriving economy and afford a good home without resorting to playing silly speculating games.

I mean, how sick is it that many in the UK WANT the economy to tank so they can get on the property ladder, i include myself in tht group, and as a person that has his own business and who would probably suffer.

Sam

Gee when you say Texas, endless tracts of level land spring to mind for me......

Gee when you say Texas, endless tracts of level land spring to mind for me......

And annual property taxes (depending on the county) of 2.5%-3%.

I can't help wondering whether the punters would be quite so keen to mortgage themselves to the hilt to buy a 350K newbuild if they knew they would cop 200 a week in rates on top.

It all part of the UK's ongoing boom-bust economy. This time its worse because the architect of the "Miracle Economy" has exacerbated the boom part of the cycle by facilitating irresponsible lending. The problem is that Gordon has not done anything to reign in the bubble economy because he came to believe in his own Miracle thinking that there would only be "boom" and no more "bust." He thought, for a while at least, that he had overcome the economic cycle by creating wealth through endless borrowing and ever increasing house prices to keep the cash flow moving in one direction.

Sorry Gordon, no Noble Prize for economics.

He may well win the Ignoble prize for economics - but is unlikely to win the Nobel prize.