House Price Crash Forum

If...

HOLA441

If house prices fall because people have to sell because they can't afford the mortgage cos they have no job (sorry its differently employed these days?)

Then how do rents and landlords fit in?

If there are more people coming in to rent still from abroad then I don't see rents going down..

How do rents go down?

HOLA442

If house prices fall because people have to sell because they can't afford the mortgage cos they have no job (sorry its differently employed these days?)

If there are more people coming in to rent still from abroad then I don't see rents going down..

How do rents go down?

If the demand for rental properties goes up then it could either make rents HIGHER becuase of demand or LOWER because of choice. It depends if you are the Landlord or the Tenant on which way you perceive this.

Just threaten to leave your landlord if he tries to pull a fast one? Risky but if there is plenty of rentable properties its not that much of a risk.

TB

HOLA443

How do rents go down?

Many will go back to live with ma and pa.

HOLA444

Talking to other Landlords who were around back in the day, when the crash in the early 90's happened the demand for rental properties across almost all sectors rose, with the 2/3 bed houses and flats being most in demand. DSS picking up the tab in the main.

Ill wind and all that :(

HOLA445

I don’t believe people will get thrown out of their homes just

to be relocated by the council with more expense to the taxpayers.

More likely ‘deals’ will be struck until they get back on their feet.

However if you owe money on BTL’s then the ‘seven demons from hell’

will crawl up through the ground and devour your hard earned investments

with no pity or remorse. (just like the old days)

HOLA446

Talking to other Landlords who were around back in the day, when the crash in the early 90's happened the demand for rental properties across almost all sectors rose, with the 2/3 bed houses and flats being most in demand. DSS picking up the tab in the main.

I'd like to see a proportion of the forthcoming glut of repossessed BTL properties bought very cheaply by the Government from the mortgage lender.

Perhaps they can be then given to housing associations to provide affordable housing for people, rather than letting unscrupulous private landlords rip everyone off.

A sort of economic cleansing, if you will.

Edited by Warwickshire Lad

HOLA447

DSS picking up the tab in the main. [billy-g]

Since then the limits on what Housing Benefit will cover have been tightened. It's probably safe to say that the typical amateur BTL landlord's idea of the average local rent is somewhat different to the District Valuer's. HB claimants under 25 are limited to the 'average' rent for a single room in a shared house.

HOLA448

I don’t believe people will get thrown out of their homes just

to be relocated by the council with more expense to the taxpayers.

More likely ‘deals’ will be struck until they get back on their feet.

However if you owe money on BTL’s then the ‘seven demons from hell’

will crawl up through the ground and devour your hard earned investments

with no pity or remorse. (just like the old days)

The old adage may come into play:

Owe the bank GBP 1,000, it's your problem

Owe the bank GBP 1,000,000, it's their problem

HOLA449

How do rents go down?

Private landlords need people who can afford the rent. If people lose their job they can't afford the rent. If the council needs to find homes for desitute people, then the council will decide where to put them. This could be in rooms in B&Bs, they could even move them to cheaper areas.

So landlords whose business plans require professional tenants who can pay good rents may find themselves in trouble. More people does not mean more demand (and the capability to pay for) all types of housing.

Billy Shears

I'd like to see a proportion of the forthcoming glut of repossessed BTL properties bought very cheaply by the Government from the mortgage lender.

Perhaps they can be then given to housing associations to provide affordable housing for people, rather than letting unscrupulous private landlords rip everyone off.

A sort of economic cleansing, if you will.

There was a quite amusing post a few weeks ago about a newbuild "mixed use" development where the young professionals were up in arms about council tenants and their friends dominating the shared pool.

If housing associations start picking up newbuild flats as landlords go under, will we see more of this sort of thing. Will the newbuilds turn into the kinds of buildings we see in films like "Trainspotting"?

Billy Shears

HOLA4410

I'd like to see a proportion of the forthcoming glut of repossessed BTL properties bought very cheaply by the Government from the mortgage lender. Perhaps they can be then given to housing associations to provide affordable housing for people, rather than letting unscrupulous private landlords rip everyone off. A sort of economic cleansing, if you will.

Yeah. That'll happen.

There was a quite amusing post a few weeks ago about a newbuild "mixed use" development where the young professionals were up in arms about council tenants and their friends dominating the shared pool.

And obviously utterly fictitious. You didn't believe that drivel, did you?

If housing associations start picking up newbuild flats as landlords go under, will we see more of this sort of thing. Will the newbuilds turn into the kinds of buildings we see in films like "Trainspotting"?

I'm certainly looking forward to all your cheerful posts if your utopian vision of The People's Republic of New Britain comes to pass.

HOLA4411

How do rents go down?

too many properties for the people, we are there now.. they can't rent them out....

Pay them less..

HOLA4412

Since then the limits on what Housing Benefit will cover have been tightened. It's probably safe to say that the typical amateur BTL landlord's idea of the average local rent is somewhat different to the District Valuer's. HB claimants under 25 are limited to the 'average' rent for a single room in a shared house.

Housing allowance (in Leeds for example) ranges from £83 p.w. if you're over 25 and single, £101 if you're a couple with one child, up to £145 if you're a pikey with a shed full.

Generously they allow you to keep any excess - so if you're single and find a pad for £50 p.w. you can keep the change - or so I believe :D

HOLA4413

Ill wind and all that :(

So the BTL landlords are little better tha benefit scroungers :)

I wouldn't hold your breath - the ensuing HB bill will surely

bring back some regulation of rents,

and cutbacks in those generous allowances.

Rot in hell parasites!

ABB

HOLA4414

Housing allowance (in Leeds for example) ranges from £83 p.w. if you're over 25 and single, £101 if you're a couple with one child, up to £145 if you're a pikey with a shed full. [737]

That's £361 a month for a one-bedroom and £439 a month for a two-bedroom flat or house. How do those figures compare with what BTL investors speculators are asking?

Generously they allow you to keep any excess - so if you're single and find a pad for £50 p.w. you can keep the change -- or so I believe [737]

That's correct -- Leeds is a Pathfinder area for the new Local Housing Allowance. The objective is to encourage claimants to negotiate rents down. However, they actually have to rent the specified accommodation. Are there any one-bedroom flats available for £50 a week / £217 a month in Leeds?

HOLA4415

Yeah they can make you move to somewhere cheaper just by not picking up the full rent for a few weeks.... although where you get the money to move from I don't know.

I'm certain HB isn't going to support people in the way it used to and will have to impact on rents.

HOLA4416

The cheapest I let a 1 bed for is £325 a month. That's for a freshly decorated, furnished, centrally heated and double glazed flat. I have no shortage of takers, and the last 3 times I have had properties come up, I have not had to advertise, its been word of mouth recommendation from my tenants to their friends/colleagues.

Dont know why I'm nice and fair to my tennants actually; as a BTL'r, I'm obviously going to burn in hell anyway :rolleyes: