House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ajh

Anecdotal From Distance

In late 2004, I spent some time in the UK, helping my mother deal with her late sister's funeral and affairs :(.

Now mum inherited her sister's house, and after some discussion decided to sell it. Mainly because it wasn't served by public transport, and mum doesn't drive, so it was not suitable for her to keep as a second home in the UK (my mother and I both live in Australia, but apart from my brothers all her other near relatives live in England).

While we were there, in an attempt to keep mum from brooding, I floated the suggestion that we look around the general area (East Staffordshire villages) to see if we could find something that would be suitable for her to buy.

Now I don't pretend to know what is happening in other UK markets, but I can tell you all from personal observation that standard 3-bed semi's in the particular village we were observing most closely haven't moved at all in price in the last 18 months. The same house types in the same streets are on Rightmove for the same asking prices now as then.

I agree house prices are much the same as 2 years ago, the biggest difference is that 2 years ago house where going in days, were now they sit on for months so are more likely to drop there price.

ril

I agree house prices are much the same as 2 years ago, the biggest difference is that 2 years ago house where going in days, were now they sit on for months so are more likely to drop there price.

ril

I haven't been watching closely enough to get a feel for how long property is on the market.