House Price Crash Forum
HouseDog

Wickes Sales Continue To Struggle

Monday, 24 April 2006 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4937760.stm

Wickes sales continue to struggle

Weak consumer spending has continued to hit sales at Wickes home improvement centres, but owner Travis Perkins has said trading is recovering.

Like-for-like sales - which ignore new store openings - at Wickes were down 9.4% in the first four months of 2006. :blink:

- - - - - -

Wasn't there a BBC 'Death of DIY' TV program a few weeks ago that reported that Wickes was doing really well compared to B&Q etc?

Monday, 24 April 2006 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4937760.stm

Wickes sales continue to struggle

Weak consumer spending has continued to hit sales at Wickes home improvement centres, but owner Travis Perkins has said trading is recovering.

Like-for-like sales - which ignore new store openings - at Wickes were down 9.4% in the first four months of 2006. :blink:

- - - - - -

Wasn't there a BBC 'Death of DIY' TV program a few weeks ago that reported that Wickes was doing really well compared to B&Q etc?

B&Q pushing 20% of garden furniture in April......you usually get garden furniture sales back end August .........it must be different this time :rolleyes:

The Wickes in Chester had a mini -mobile burger /hot dog trailer in the car park during a week day, it really smacked of desperation. Deathly quiet inside as well, as was B& Q .

In Ellesmere Port today, I noticed 2 large pound shops right opposite each other, one opended recently I think, not seen that before. Maybe pound shops are empty unit fillers.

4 x AA rechargeable batteries for £1 was a pleasant suprise & have done 12 charges already.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

The Wickes in Chester had a mini -mobile burger /hot dog trailer in the car park during a week day, it really smacked of desperation. Deathly quiet inside as well, as was B& Q .

In Ellesmere Port today, I noticed 2 large pound shops right opposite each other, one opended recently I think, not seen that before. Maybe pound shops are empty unit fillers.

4 x AA rechargeable batteries for £1 was a pleasant suprise & have done 12 charges already.

Our local Wickes has had a burger trailer in its car park for the last 10 years, the owner has probably bought a house for cash by now off-al (sorry) the proceeds.

I might be able to get a bit of an insider's view of Wickes in a couple of weeks.

I have a relative who works at a Wickes warehouse who I'll be visiting on my upcoming UK trip with mum. He and his missus are thinking of an Australian holiday next year and would visit both of us. The state of play for him work-wise will be a decision factor, so it should come up in general conversation without me being too obvious :ph34r: .

The trade is deserting Wickes since Travis Perkins bought it and put the prices up. It used to have less choice than B&Q but had the right stuff and had stock at the right price. TP bought it and it's been a mess for the last year - prices up, availability down.

I think I can work out why it's been a dog - plus businesses usually trade like crap just after a takeover - conflict of old and new... - synergies are not there - instead of one system you have two.