House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dom

Hummus Chat.

I make my own hummus, do you?

I make it using 500g of dried chick peas, dark tahini, garlic, lemon juice, yogurt, and olive oil.

I eat it for breakfast, on toast with Marmite.

I'm eating it right now with some green salad...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Do you love chick peas too?

hummus.jpg

I make it using 500g of dried chick peas, dark tahini, garlic, lemon juice, yogurt, and olive oil.

hummus.jpg

Yes! This is the thread I have been waiting for. Delicious! B)

hummus.jpg

I put scotch bonnet chillis in mine. Peanut butter is pretty good instead of tahini if you are as disorganised as me.

I ate 1.5litres in 1 day about a month ago. I fewlt sick for 2 days and the smell of garlic has only just left me :D

Its bloody addictive

Yes! This is the thread I have been waiting for. Delicious! B)

Peanut butter is pretty good instead of tahini if you are as disorganised as me.

Weird, my wife uses tahini if we run out of peanut butter!

I ate 1.5litres in 1 day

Knarly dude! B)

hummus.jpg

Yes but..... NO GARLIC!! Yuk :o:wacko:

For me you can't beat a chick pea curry. I buy in 5kg sacks from Suma every month.

If you have an asian deli near you try mdh channa masala spice blend..it's amazing.

How about felafel.. 250g of chick peas soaked overnight, 1 red onion, 1 teaspoon of cumin and one of coriander. Blend it into a fine paste then form into balls about the size of balls but a bit flatter and fry.mmmm

Did you know they can grow at -20celcius in Siberia?

Bow down before the god of legumes.

Hari Om Channa Daal

For me you can't beat a chick pea curry. I buy in 5kg sacks from Suma every month.

If you have an asian deli near you try mdh channa masala spice blend..it's amazing.

How about felafel.. 250g of chick peas soaked overnight, 1 red onion, 1 teaspoon of cumin and one of coriander. Blend it into a fine paste then form into balls about the size of balls but a bit flatter and fry.mmmm

Did you know they can grow at -20celcius in Siberia?

Bow down before the god of legumes.

Hari Om Channa Daal

yummie, sounds good to me. We shoulp have a hpc cookery section :)

I have made hommos several times but it is very hard to get the proportions right. Has anyone got a reasonably reliable ratio of lemon, garlic, tahini and chickpeas which they use?

Always fry the garlic first or the hommos will come out too zingy.

Also note, judicious use of salt and pepper are essential.

frugalista

I have made hommos several times but it is very hard to get the proportions right. Has anyone got a reasonably reliable ratio of lemon, garlic, tahini and chickpeas which they use?

Always fry the garlic first or the hommos will come out too zingy.

Also note, judicious use of salt and pepper are essential.

frugalista

I used nearly a bulb of raw garlic last time, when i ate some for lunch people could smell it down the hall way and in the next lab!

The thing I like about it is that it tastes different every time. If in doubt I put more oil in. Put some cumin and cayenne pepper in as well. Its always nice but sometimes it is stretching it a bit to call it hummus. Just depends on my mental state at the time. smoke.gif

I used nearly a bulb of raw garlic last time, when i ate some for lunch people could smell it down the hall way and in the next lab!

The thing I like about it is that it tastes different every time. If in doubt I put more oil in. Put some cumin and cayenne pepper in as well. Its always nice but sometimes it is stretching it a bit to call it hummus. Just depends on my mental state at the time. smoke.gif

I have never made my own. Is it worth the effort? :unsure:

Most unprecedented!

It is clear you are at the forefront of chick pea technology, challenging the the boundaries of starter courses, pushing the envelope further still, taking humanity to the next level of chilled dip consciousness.

Most unprecedented!

It is clear you are at the forefront of chick pea technology, challenging the the boundaries of starter courses, pushing the envelope further still, taking humanity to the next level of chilled dip consciousness.

Yeah, that's what I thought. You are obviosly a very wise man. Everyone else just said I was a biohazzard! ;)

The time is 0821, I will soon be leaving the house for work.

It is looking increasingly unlikely that I will eat any hummus this morning, something is suppressing my desires.

Discuss.

It is looking increasingly unlikely that I will eat any hummus this morning, something is suppressing my desires.

Discuss.

Damn it, you must overcome this. Take the day off and eat it untill you feel like a big chick pea. It is those bloody cereal companies tempting you away with their sugar filled puffs of rice and wheat! They may have won the battle, but they will not win the war :D

Discuss.

Buy some from the supermarket on your way to work.

Good luck B)

P.S. Dont forget the pitta bread. :rolleyes:

Damn it, you must overcome this. Take the day off and eat it untill you feel like a big chick pea. It is those bloody cereal companies tempting you away with their sugar filled puffs of rice and wheat! They may have won the battle, but they will not win the war :D

Phew! Luckily the wife tempted me with some crumpets, as you know you can't have one without the other.

I'm interested to know what viscosity you aspire to?

Phew! Luckily the wife tempted me with some crumpets, as you know you can't have one without the other.

I'm interested to know what viscosity you aspire to?

Ah you have a good woman there, kept you on the straight and narrow.

I make it runny enough so that when you dip your your doritos or even strong crisps in they do not snap off as that annoys the hell out of me.

Do you know making hummus can double as a great work out if you say no to the blender and use a potato masher instead. Takes ages though, but you feel its a job well done.

I make it runny enough so that when you dip your your doritos or even strong crisps in they do not snap off as that annoys the hell out of me.

Mine is the antithesis. I use the inversion test, if the hand blender stays in the hummus upside down, it's perfect!

The hummus has a half life of about 4 days and improves with the formation of decay products.

My wife disagrees!

Mine is the antithesis. I use the inversion test, if the hand blender stays in the hummus upside down, it's perfect!

The hummus has a half life of about 4 days and improves with the formation of decay products.

My wife disagrees!

I am afraid it has never lasted 4 days, but the taste comes through better just from being left overnight. I am sure it would improve with age like a fine wine

Is it not wonderful how everone can find their own perfect hummus? runny or thick, with or without garlic.

Those chick peas are truely great

I am afraid it has never lasted 4 days, but the taste comes through better just from being left overnight. I am sure it would improve with age like a fine wine

Is it not wonderful how everone can find their own perfect hummus? runny or thick, with or without garlic.

Those chick peas are truely great

500g of dried chick peas makes a lot of hummus! I like to make significant volumes to avoid over repetition of the labour intensive process, once a week is enough for me.

This year I intend to grow my own.

This could be a discussion point on my next thread-Veg Chat.