House Price Crash Forum
aussieboy

The Str Dream: Any (proper) Success Stories?

Given that some started the process three years ago, perhaps by now someone out there has managed to close the full STR circle, being:

- sold

- saved / invested at a nice return

- bought same / similar house for less?

Bear in mind that the full circle has to be completed for the strategy to have worked... a gain's only gain when it's realised so the successful STRer has to be snug in a new home at the end of the process. None of this "I reckon that the house I sold is worth 20k less now" for instance.

I've heard a few horror stories from those for whom it's all gone pear shaped, but none from those who have closed the loop successfully... perhaps people are still waiting to implement Step 3

Edited by aussieboy

As far as 'sell to rent' goes........

Laughing all the way :P

When will i buy again ??????

Probably never in this sh!thole of a country :P

Wont buy another house until the right one comes along, where that will be i dont even care at the moment....

Might even move to the coast for the summer this year B)

You built your country pile dogging carpark yet with your £80k MEW from this years HPI ?

Or are you keeping it in equity for the rainy season ?

aussieboy,

I don't think you're being reasonable. Say someone sold their internet stock in September 1999, and it's now March 1 2000. You're only a winner if you buy back that internet stock at a cheaper price? The question is what you did with your STR money, and whether you're outperforming the property market. And why would one want to reinvest one's profits in a what seems to me to be a bubble asset?

Guys - people are still waiting for the crash to happen.......why would they have bought back already?? It would only make sense if they believed we had reached the bottom or were a significant step towards it. I think it will be at least another 3-4 years before that happens.

I sold nearly 2 years ago and currently live at my parents. House prices are about the same here, whereas my investments have been rising by approx. 18% and 27% in the 2 years since.

Not a success yet as I have not bought another house and in no hurry to do so either.

I don't quite fit the bill but I sold about 2 years ago, partly as I live overseas now. Invested the money offshore (my mortgage was approximately 30%). Stock markets have been damn good over the last couple of years and my lump sum has increased by 70% as of friday. So I could go back and buy my old house with no mortgage now even with the small increase in house prices over that time. But i won't be doing that. Prices just too expensive and they will come down.

I bought my property in 1998 for 25k, sold in 04 for 125k and bought another at the back end of last year for 70k.

Both were small detached cottages, the first had a large garden, the second 1 acre.

But lets get things straight, I didn't purposefully STR. Renting for me was a bluddy nightmare and I wouldn't do it again for a gold pig. All that happened was that I sold at the top of my market intending to buy another straight away, the market zoomed off in the area I wanted to buy and it took me nearly 18 months to secure another when the complete insanity had slowed down.

There was no grand, greedy, plan.

What I would also say, is that despite all this recent talk about property prices moving upwards most recent buyers aren't happy with their predicament.

I'm hearing more and more stories of how people are behind with mortgage payments.

To be honest, I always said I would never move house in a market like this, and for the normal "Joe Public" I would still stick to that statement. I would have preferred to sell mine for 60k and have bought at 45k.

Yes, the figures look pathetic compared to the "profit" I made, but I wouldn't have had the emotional and financial draining of the interim 18 months.

Sold to downsize a year ago and was gazumped.

Then found this site and decided to wait for a downturn or at the very least an end of year seasonal quiet period.

One year later still renting, interest on the capital is not fully paying the rent, so the capital sum is eroding. Meanwhile house prices in this area have risen by 15%-20% in the year. A property next to the one I sold went for 27% more. I would reckon that I am now at least 30% behind and have been unable thus far to get back on track with my original plan.

I am now looking at lesser properties at much higher prices, with more limited choice of the type of property I am interested in becoming available.

He is being a nob anyway.....

STR means SELL TO RENT.... Does it not ?????

So full circle is 1,SELL 2,RENT......

All the rest is b0ll0cks........

That's nice, keepwatching.

Keep contributing.

I sold up due to divorce in Apr 04. Prices have dropped 7% in the area since then. I also sold my spanish villa in Apr 2005 (by design rather than accident) and again I think I got out at the right time. Since the matromonial home was sold I have been renting two beautiful flats at a very reasonable rent. The equity released from the sales has been put into stocks & shares and fixed interest accounts, with some being retained in Euros.

So far, after paying the rent and taking account of REAL house prices in the area I want to live in, as well as the amounts made from investing the equity, I have made £50,000 AFTER TAX.

The great thing about sitting out a falling makret is that you do not pay tax on your gains - they are TAX FREE - whereas all BTL gains are taxed at 40%!

Buying now/today.

Wouldn't want to be a slave, would prefer to have my freedom. ;)

Your idea of freedom is a 25 year mortgage?

Then found this site and decided to wait for a downturn or at the very least an end of year seasonal quiet period.

One year later still renting, interest on the capital is not fully paying the rent, so the capital sum is eroding. Meanwhile house prices in this area have risen by 15%-20% in the year. A property next to the one I sold went for 27% more. I would reckon that I am now at least 30% behind and have been unable thus far to get back on track with my original plan.

I am now looking at lesser properties at much higher prices, with more limited choice of the type of property I am interested in becoming available.

Ouch!..timing is everything eh? <_<

STR'd in the middle of last year mainly to facilitate the sale. Rented (bloody nightmare) and bought again in December (being a cash buyer helped get a decent discount). Lucky (rather than skillfull) in that the European and Jap market shot up during the rental period but there again the original property is now around 10% more than I sold it for, as is my new one (but I downsized by 25% so...). All in all probably up a tad. Worth it? Probably not!

Aren't you the one who keeps talking up the Aberdeen market?

You may have just noticed..........................................I did not mention a location!

:lol:

Taken from BBC site:

Aberdeen City

Average Cost: 116,857

Detached: N/A

Semi-detached: N/A

Terraced: N/A

Flat: N/A

Change in last quarter: -2.7%

Change in last year: 12.5%

Sales: N/A

:lol:

Taken from BBC site:

This is going off topic, and I did not want to be drawn on this again! So this is my last referral to this area on this thread!

I talk from direct personal experience, and I know there are others who disagree, and so be it, but the following is given in support:

http://money.guardian.co.uk/houseprices/st...1683226,00.html

Aberdeen new 'property hotspot'

Hilary Osborne

Tuesday January 10, 2006

Homeowners in Aberdeen saw the value of their properties rise by 17.3% last year, making the city the UK's top hotspot in 2005, according to Nationwide building society today.

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:MyzoLS...uk&ct=clnk&cd=4

• On a local authority basis, Aberdeen City (18%) and North Lanarkshire (16%) saw the fastest rise in prices in Scotland over the past year.

These %s are average %s and thus approximate to my statement of 15% to 20% HPI.

Sold in July 2004 (in Canberra, Australia).

Investment portfolio (mostly direct shares) up 30% after tax since then.

Have not repurchased, and don't intend to at the moment since I don't know whether I'll stay after my retirement, which will be in or before 2010. Renting the equivalent of an $A220K flat for $A160 a week.

House prices went down 5%-10% in 04/05, but have since recovered and perhaps even risen 5%, so adding that to rent and transaction costs, but subtracting rates and repairs, it would cost me about 10% in total over my selling price if I bought back today.

Bottom line: 20% in front B) .