House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sam

There Is Now Zero Imagination When Building Property

I would just like to indulge myself a little on a subject that is close to my heart and not really talked about on here much, Buildings themselves.

For a few years(more like a few decades) now it has been a gripe with me how poor quality our housing is, and how dull and how very little imagination goes into what we pay a fortune for, we are going backwards in leaps and bounds. Plasterboard, cheap stud work, and no nooks and crannies anymore, dull dull dull square cells.

If i had the power, up to 90% of buildings in this Country would be pulled down, ok we have a space shortage, so as well as going up, i would also go down, structures with more wood, stone, hay(yes hay believe it or not), all engulfed in more green, trees, plants.

Buildings that are not all showcase type, buildings with flaws, buildings that give us that cave dwelling instincts back, but with some of the mod cons.

I was down London watching the marathon today and stopped at this lovely little church that was near the tower bridge that was selling tea. The building was at least 700 years old, but the feeling it gave me when sat inside, light, fresh and clean, it just made me feel so good just being there.

What is it that older buildings give us a feeling of warmth and joy, why can we not capture that feeling in todays building. I have seen it done in the Southern States, buildings that have porches and cellars, wood stone, homes you would want to spend a life in, we just make c**p.

We have become so engrossed in what our crappy little homes are making in money that we have forgotten how poor they are. The people that are probaly making the most from this insanity are people who would not live in these rabbit hutches in a million years.

Property in the UK has no value anymore, the only value is its investment potential for the top 5%, they have us dumping on each other as well as living in cells.

Cars, motorbikes, TVs, washing machines, mod cons, travel, everything has improved beyond our wildest dreams and made affordable. Yet somehow the VI's have somehow conned us into paying £100's of thousands on property design that is moving backwards and not fowards.

Sam

Sam,

Agree entirely. That's why it's so nice to see the results of those who build / refurb their own to an imaginative design & high quality.

Edited by 7

If i had the power, up to 90% of buildings in this Country would be pulled down, ok we have a space shortage

I agree, this era will be known for a grand lowering of standards down to the level of a Victorian slum, however there is not a shortage of space, not by any means.

I agree. I spent a short time looking for a house last May, and it quickly became apparent that the phrase "older style property" actually meant "decent sized house with character" or "you can't afford it" :angry:

Agree. I visit peoples houses in the course of my work. I occasionally have to visit people on new build estates who have decent incomes. I can't believe how small these boxes are, and how shoddily put together they are.

I'm no builder, but on the way out of this house I visited on Friday I spotted 3 faults!

I agree, this era will be known for a grand lowering of standards down to the level of a Victorian slum, however there is not a shortage of space, not by any means.

Thanks for blasting that common misconception out of the water!

I would just like to indulge myself a little on a subject that is close to my heart and not really talked about on here much, Buildings themselves.

For a few years(more like a few decades) now it has been a gripe with me how poor quality our housing is, and how dull and how very little imagination goes into what we pay a fortune for, we are going backwards in leaps and bounds. Plasterboard, cheap stud work, and no nooks and crannies anymore, dull dull dull square cells.

If i had the power, up to 90% of buildings in this Country would be pulled down, ok we have a space shortage, so as well as going up, i would also go down, structures with more wood, stone, hay(yes hay believe it or not), all engulfed in more green, trees, plants.

Buildings that are not all showcase type, buildings with flaws, buildings that give us that cave dwelling instincts back, but with some of the mod cons.

I was down London watching the marathon today and stopped at this lovely little church that was near the tower bridge that was selling tea. The building was at least 700 years old, but the feeling it gave me when sat inside, light, fresh and clean, it just made me feel so good just being there.

What is it that older buildings give us a feeling of warmth and joy, why can we not capture that feeling in todays building. I have seen it done in the Southern States, buildings that have porches and cellars, wood stone, homes you would want to spend a life in, we just make c**p.

We have become so engrossed in what our crappy little homes are making in money that we have forgotten how poor they are. The people that are probaly making the most from this insanity are people who would not live in these rabbit hutches in a million years.

Property in the UK has no value anymore, the only value is its investment potential for the top 5%, they have us dumping on each other as well as living in cells.

Cars, motorbikes, TVs, washing machines, mod cons, travel, everything has improved beyond our wildest dreams and made affordable. Yet somehow the VI's have somehow conned us into paying £100's of thousands on property design that is moving backwards and not fowards.

Sam

You're obviously dreaming & haven't had a quote from the builders yet or seen the price of land.

You're obviously dreaming & haven't had a quote from the builders yet or seen the price of land.

You're right. He'd better wait until after the crash.

Billy Shears