House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bingley Bloke

Curious Cost Of Living Calculation

A few weeks ago I calculated that the collective cost of my food, gas, electricty, water, council tax, TV license and phone bills had increased, on average, 13.1% over the last three years. This is depsite the fact that, during that period, I have traded down to supermarket's own brand stuff and been much more concientious of my use of lighting, heating, etc.

I just did a much more interesting calculation...

If the collective cost of the above items continues to increase at the above rate, and my wage continues to increase at the rate that it has increased at since I started my current job eight and a half years ago, by the year 2018 my take home pay will only be 97% of these living costs!

Now add housing and transportation costs!!

Yes! Something has to change!!

Don't worry, inflation is below 2% and will stay low.

And if that doesn't work out, get used to living on cheese.

Bingley, ever considered changing jobs? The payrises for yours seem to suck mightily :(

As for cheese, ye think you've got it bad, anything non-plastic is about €10/kilo here (Ireland). Grumble. Perhaps I'll start making trips over to Holyhead on the ferry and filling my car boot with Welsh cheddar.

Man! you want to look at the price of cheese next time you buy some.

But the government assured us that inflation is low because the price of dairy products is dropping?

Man! you want to look at the price of cheese next time you buy some. :blink:

Fortunately, I hate cheese; of course I do enjoy the odd glass of champagne, bit of caviar and the odd truffle every now and then. :)

Fortunately, I hate cheese; of course I do enjoy the odd glass of champagne, bit of caviar and the odd truffle every now and then.

perhaps madam, some room tempreture brie will suffice ?

or some tripe on a platter.

Bingley, ever considered changing jobs? The payrises for yours seem to suck mightily :(

I've been trying to get a better paid job for years. It isn't as easy as people make it sound. There's nothing well paid in Bradford, nothing well paid that I'm qualified for in Leeds, and relocating would mean even higher house prices when I can't afford a house where I live now. My only choice would be to re-train and I can't afford to be not working for several years.

Instead I am planning to set up my own business. I hate working for other people anyway... you graft and they get rich while expecting you to be grateful that you're not unemployed.

It will change for me over the next few years, it's just bloody frustrating in the meaintime.