House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
aussieboy

Gold And Silver: Safe As Houses

Don't know much about metal (although I used to be a huge Iron Maiden fan in the 80's) but according to the Times the price of silver has fallen sharply recently. Didn't read the article though so can't remember the detail.

Don't know much about metal (although I used to be a huge Iron Maiden fan in the 80's) but according to the Times the price of silver has fallen sharply recently.

After rising dramatically recently. The rise was so fast there was no way it was sustainable.

After rising dramatically recently. The rise was so fast there was no way it was sustainable.

I was reading this thread, when out of the corner of my eye, I spotted something slightly more relevant to house prices. A dog having a sh*t on the pavement.

Could it not be argued that gold and silver all part of the same bubble as property? Since 2000 there is been a strong correlation between property and gold?

If the Iran crisis resolves itself - which I think it might - would you really want to be holding gold? Or oil for that matter?

And if you're a gold bull, aren't you by definition bearish on non-resource equities?

Wow, only five posts and you've already made my ignore list. That's a record, dude.

This whole board is on my ignore list normally - but TMF is down for the day for IT updates. We do occasionally get people who have lost out on the property market going on about gold and silver over there as well, to be fair. Absolute nut cases.

Could it not be argued that gold and silver all part of the same bubble as property?

Sure, the problem is a global credit bubble, not a housing bubble. But the bubble money is largely out of property and into commodities now, so they're probably safe for a while yet. When the people you work with are telling you to buy gold, you should probably be selling it to them.... well, unless you work in the City maybe.

I'm amazed how well gold has done recently. I was primed to buy in the last dip but didn't as I'm putting nearly all my money into a new business and want to keep some cash in case of emergency.

I have to say if I had done I would have been nervous holding it long term. I’ve seen predictions of $1000/oz. I agree with the Iran comment. I have no idea which way that will go though.

I intent to ride the final waves of rampant consumerism which I believe will diminish somewhat in the next couple of years. Thankfully my business has low running cost, high markup and is reasonably recession proof.

I was reading this thread, when out of the corner of my eye, I spotted something slightly more relevant to house prices. A dog having a sh*t on the pavement.

Straight to the point. That made me laugh.

Forget Iran.

Think US dollar.

EDIT: Ok, Iran is a "bonus".

Edited by megaflop

Yeah, the real issue is that the US government is printing vast numbers of new dollars every year, and they have to go somewhere. Iran might encourage more of them to go into gold, but it won't stop the long-term trend.

IMHO either US rates go up to at least 8%, or major nflation will continue and the rush to commodities will continue. At least until a more profitable market comes along.

If the Iran crisis resolves itself - which I think it might

wishful thinking i think. the crisis has been totally manufactured by the US in order to justify seizing iran's resources by stealth or force .

nothing iran says or does will change that fact imo.

theyve got the oil and gas and we need it and they wont give it to us so well take it.

theyve got the oil and gas and we need it and they wont give it to us so well take it.

Except Bush doesn't have the ability to take it, and Russia and China look increasingly opposed to any action against Iran.

Gold will tank very soon, starting mid-week perhaps. By July, the price could be back below $500/oz.

Buy in the summer lows and get ready to pocket profits before Christmas. PM prices will continue to fall throughout 2007 unless there's a war with Iran...

That's a remarkably detailed prediction :blink:

Edited by JohnnyLaw

Except Bush doesn't have the ability to take it, and Russia and China look increasingly opposed to any action against Iran.

And I think the UK will oppose it as well. Iran is a country that the Foreign Office have a good understanding of, and they know the score. I think, in my opinion, that the chances of war are very, very slim, though I'm not saying that they'll be a clear resolution to the problem. Yet the focus is very much on Iran, and for some investors and speculators a resolution of the Iran crisis could be financially catastrophic. Remember in 1998, when Russia was about to melt down, taking the whole world with it?

And I think the UK will oppose it as well. Iran is a country that the Foreign Office have a good understanding of, and they know the score. I think, in my opinion, that the chances of war are very, very slim, though I'm not saying that they'll be a clear resolution to the problem. Yet the focus is very much on Iran, and for some investors and speculators a resolution of the Iran crisis could be financially catastrophic. Remember in 1998, when Russia was about to melt down, taking the whole world with it?

Iran?

Iranium?

Uranium!

Eureka!!

Bomb the bass!!!

Yet the focus is very much on Iran, and for some investors and speculators a resolution of the Iran crisis could be financially catastrophic.

Quite likely: that's why I haven't wanted to put any money into oil and metals lately.

Let the trend be your friend.

I think that's a statistical statement. It's saying that where the external environment remains static a particular correlation will remain in force. A resolution of the Iran crisis would represent a change in the external environment and the correlation could, in my opinion, no longer be relied on.

Edited by Arctic Steve

No, it's just a statement which has made me a bit of money since last July :)

Well put your profits in property. Let the trend be your friend! Sorry, momentum investing isn't for me. Commodites and metals, even oil, to me looks a bit like the 1999-2000 dotcom bubble. And in my opinion Iran is the pin that could burst it.

Edited by Arctic Steve

Well put your profits in property. Let the trend be your friend! Sorry, momentum investing isn't for me. Commodites and metals, even oil, to me looks a bit like the 1999-2000 dotcom bubble. And in my opinion Iran is the pin that could burst it.

Maybe, maybe not. Who knows ;)