House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ElPapasito

Anecdotal

An associate of mine who I play squash with just let on that he owns 4 houses in Oxford, bought in the mid to late 90s. He has no proper job these days. Used to be a taxi driver. Brother owns a newsagent that he temps in. Yet he sends his son to private school.

Anyway 2 of his properties are 5+ tenants so he has paid £700 for the new 'house in multiple occupation' licence. He is waiting for an inspection by the council on one house to know if he has to put in a fire alarm system for which he has a been quoted £4000 to install. The other house already has one.

He says he asked the council how many licence applications they've had so far. Their answer according to him is 'two'!!!

From how he describes what he has done to look after his properties and tenants, I'd say he is a very responsible landlord. Even so he's looking at £5k spend due to these new regs.

2 points. Loads of landlords just don't seem to know or care about the new law. Are people seeing more crap multi-occupation houses coming onto the market to avoid the problem. I've seen one in my area.

Second, what a drain on the economy it is when good people live as parasites on other's earnings instead of doing something useful.

EP

Second, what a drain on the economy it is when good people live as parasites on other's earnings instead of doing something useful.

EP

And it was her eightieth birthday yesterday - Shit, forgot to send her a card :lol:

The hilarious thing about this whole exercise is that some rule writer thinks that people with poor standard properties are going to front up to the council with a cheque & a form telling the council they should be put out of business.

Only decent landlords of decent properties will do what's asked. The others will get away with carrying on as usual as is always the case in the UK. Rules are written to collect taxes, not to really change anything.

If they really wanted to increase standards in UK housing, an incentive scheme based on tax savings would have done wonders. A scheme based on a big stick & no carrot will do nothing for people who usually tend to be compliant anyway.

In aberdeen they seem to have made it an offence for _any_ landlord not to register on their searchable by the public list.

Not just Aberdeen, RichB..

Its all of Scotland, and not just HMO.. all persons that rent to another person require a licence (although there are a few clauses for epople who dont need a licence)

Again, Scotland is ahead of England unsurprisingly......

Only another year til you guys ban smoking..