House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bob monkhouse

Shafted

Argh!

Well, i've just had some bad news. I dont think there's anyone here that could offer any advice, as its a bit of a lost cause, perhaps I just feel the need to vent my frustration into the digital ether. Two years back I stupidly moved into a property managed by homes direct (google them and you'll see their reputation). I wont bother you with too much whining, suffice to say the management of the flats was horrific...to the extent that it became comical, actually. Well anyway, I left the place eventually, and have spent ages trying to track down my deposit (600 nicker). I've since learnt that the funds are being dealt with by insolvency practioners, the *****ers went into recievership. Ive lost the cash, no small claims court will be able to reclaim any of that, they left owing 6million in debts so I'll stcik a claim in and cross my fingers. I've spent the day reading blagger.com, which highlights just how many others are in this position. The guy at the top has literally robbed thousands of people. Strangely, I take some heart knowing there's others in a similar predicament. Its not the money, which is a trivial amount, but the principle. Im left feeling let down, if I were to go outside and rob someone of money face to face, I could be jailed. But if I were to do beneath the veil of a corporation Its ok. The **** in question has done this with several property companies, drives fast cars and has properties in spain, no names mentioned of course.

...Well, somehow that feels better, thanks for listening.

p.s the views expressed herein are the authors own an not that of HPC.co.uk

Guest Winners and Losers

Argh!

Well, i've just had some bad news. I dont think there's anyone here that could offer any advice, as its a bit of a lost cause, perhaps I just feel the need to vent my frustration into the digital ether. Two years back I stupidly moved into a property managed by homes direct (google them and you'll see their reputation). I wont bother you with too much whining, suffice to say the management of the flats was horrific...to the extent that it became comical, actually. Well anyway, I left the place eventually, and have spent ages trying to track down my deposit (600 nicker). I've since learnt that the funds are being dealt with by insolvency practioners, the *****ers went into recievership. Ive lost the cash, no small claims court will be able to reclaim any of that, they left owing 6million in debts so I'll stcik a claim in and cross my fingers. I've spent the day reading blagger.com, which highlights just how many others are in this position. The guy at the top has literally robbed thousands of people. Strangely, I take some heart knowing there's others in a similar predicament. Its not the money, which is a trivial amount, but the principle. Im left feeling let down, if I were to go outside and rob someone of money face to face, I could be jailed. But if I were to do beneath the veil of a corporation Its ok. The **** in question has done this with several property companies, drives fast cars and has properties in spain, no names mentioned of course.

:(:( :angry:

At least it is crashing in Spain.

Argh!

Sorry to hear that mate. Withholding deposits is one of the biggest scandals about renting if you ask me. I know people in London who have lost thousands because of the bas tards. Was there a reason why they withheld it so long?

Sorry to hear that mate. Withholding deposits is one of the biggest scandals about renting if you ask me. I know people in London who have lost thousands because of the bas tards. Was there a reason why they withheld it so long?

Wish there was something positive that I could add, guess life sucks somethimes. Did I say sometimes?

The guy at the top has literally robbed thousands of people.

Um, maybe you should find out where he lives? <_<

Guest Winners and Losers

Um, maybe you should find out where he lives? <_<

Wandsworth/ Sweden? :angry: :P

Argh!

...Well, somehow that feels better, thanks for listenin

Just go out an let his tyres down, you would feel a whole lot better trurst me>:-

I have posted on this subject before.

If you feel your landlord (or his agent) is in any way dubious always withhold the final months rent payment. I would never suggest this if the landlord is a professional, but the BTL market is riddled with impoverished amateurs and dodgy agents who will default on the deposit repayment.

Edited by Red Baron

Argh!

Sorry to hear your story. But it seems there are many forms of theft that go un-punished in our society. Like tenants that fail to pay rent & laugh at the threat of court action.

The world would be a much better place if we were all honest in our dealings with each other.

I also believe your would have been better off going to a landlord directly rather than through a conman.

If you feel your landlord (or his agent) is in any way dubious always withhold the final months rent payment. I would never suggest this if the landlord is a professional, but the BTL market is riddled with impoverished amateurs and dodgy agents who will default on the deposit repayment.

Like I said, if we were all honest with each other.......

If you feel your landlord is in any way dubious always withhold the final months rent payment. I would never suggest this if the landlord is a professional, but the BTL market is riddled with impoverished amateurs who will default on the deposit repayment.

I agree as I have done this on a couple of occassions. On another occassion I had to get the filth involved as the landlord actually helped himself to everyones electrical equipment... and a pair of my shoes!?! :wacko::wacko:

Withholding deposits is one of the biggest scandals about renting if you ask me.

Back in the day I used to always mentally write off the deposit as a fixed cost in renting, so rare is it to hear of anyone ever getting one back.

Just one more reason to give up the making-your-landlord-richer gig and get on the ladder. Whatever the cost, it's better for your karma.

Sorry to hear your story. But it seems there are many forms of theft that go un-punished in our society. Like tenants that fail to pay rent & laugh at the threat of court action.

The world would be a much better place if we were all honest in our dealings with each other.

I also believe your would have been better off going to a landlord directly rather than through a conman.

Like I said, if we were all honest with each other.......

Absolutely - honesty is a two way street.

The landlord will wish to undertake checks on you and you, as the tenant, should do checks on the landlord before consigning a sizeable deposit that he may be unwilling, or simply unable, to repay. In the current BTL regime there will be many tenants a great deal better off than their highly stretched 'landlords' so be diligent in researching their background.

Bring on professional property rental companies, aka Germany, proper regulation of landlords and secured tenancies.

Edited by Red Baron

Absolutely - honesty is a two way street.

The landlord will wish to undertake checks on you and you, as the tenant, should do checks on the landlord before consigning a sizeable deposit that he may be unwilling, or simply unable, to repay.

How would you go about doing a credit check on a private landlord?

Back in the day I used to always mentally write off the deposit as a fixed cost in renting, so rare is it to hear of anyone ever getting one back.

Just one more reason to give up the making-your-landlord-richer gig and get on the ladder. Whatever the cost, it's better for your karma.

I would never do any such thing as mentally write it off. If there was any doubt I simply withheld the last months rent. Never lost a penny! :lol::P

How would you go about doing a credit check on a private landlord?

Ask him for references.

He will expect this of you, so why not vice versa? Also ask around - if he is a multiple owner speak to other tenants.

If it was me I would have smashed the place up to the sum of £600! Thats what you paid him it for. You have paid for wrecking it so why not?

Maybe wrong but so is THEFT!!

TB

From knowledge the withholding of deposits, for whatever reason, is endemic in the rental industry. It's a mental 'write-up' in the mind of many landlords to cover the inevitable void when the tenant vacates. Every excuse is produced to justify this venal practice which is why I advocate a tough stance on the part of the tenant, even if this involves withholding the final rent payment.

Having said that I have never lost a deposit personally because I have always done background checks on the landlord before signing agreements.

I would never do any such thing as mentally write it off. If there was any doubt I simply withheld the last months rent. Never lost a penny!

I did that on the last place I rented, which was via a large local agency in whom I had zero confidence of getting my deposit back. I had bought the place off my landlord, so it wasn't going to be an issue. I cancelled my direct debit a month early, and told them I had done so in lieu of claiming my deposit back. Heard nothing from them until about eighteen months later, when a cheque for the full deposit amount landed on the doormat with a letter apologizing for the delay in refunding it. Needless to say, I kept it. After all, all landlords are scum.

I did that on the last place I rented, which was via a large local agency in whom I had zero confidence of getting my deposit back. I had bought the place off my landlord, so it wasn't going to be an issue. I cancelled my direct debit a month early, and told them I had done so in lieu of claiming my deposit back. Heard nothing from them until about eighteen months later, when a cheque for the full deposit amount landed on the doormat with a letter apologizing for the delay in refunding it. Needless to say, I kept it. After all, all landlords are scum.

People are just SO hostile to landlords and rental accommodation on this site but surely they are a necessary evil to you!

Just where would you all live if you couldn't rent someone else's property ? People have to leave home at some point.

I think a bit of mutual respect between landlord and tenant is required, after all you both need each other to live!

It also happens to the landlords who use some of these agents - a friend of mine owns a pair of flats and, as she works away a lot, used a large Manchester agent to run them. I have never, ever seen such a bunch of thieving charlatans - made up charges, missing payments into her account, the list really was endless and, as she was a woman, they felt they could just carry on lying to her no matter what. In the two years with them she probably lost £5,000+ . I eventually became involved and she changed agents which resulted in a director of the company making a foulmouthed and abusive phone call to her! If you think EAs are bad just try this Mancunian letting agency!

I think you just proved the opposite actually.

Did you realise there's no such thing as a good tenant? It would be a contradiction of terms. If they were good, they wouldn't be tenants.

Did you realise there's no such thing as a good tenant? It would be a contradiction of terms. If they were good, they wouldn't be tenants.

:lol::lol: I'm not even gonna rise to that comment. :P:P

last thing you always do when leaving a rental property is to take a big sh1t in the bath.

Reminds me of a place I looked at in the states when I was there for a summer about 10 years ago (as a student). The agent brought us into a place that the landlord's nephew had been staying in for a few weeks.

It was completely trashed, but the toilet was the jewel in the crown.

Piled (literally) to the rim with a horrific brown sludge. :o:o:blink::unsure:

Needless to say, we went elsewhere....... :lol:

Careful - your tenants could be reading this. You are quite easily identifiable given the personal information you have given out.