House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
grizzly

Renewing Your Passport In May ?

Apologies this is not directly relevant here, but similar topics have been covered on this forum before.

Now that the Identity Cards Act 2006 has become law, lots of ID opponents are considering when to renew their passport.

NO2ID have produced a fact sheet [see http://www.renewforfreedom.org/NO2ID_Factsheet1.pdf - 69KB PDF file] which explains why it is a good idea to do this, asks people to renew their passport in May as a collective statement against the ID scheme, and provides some information on how to go about renewing.

There is also a website at http://www.renewforfreedom.org with additional information, the factsheet for download in different formats and resources to help promote this particular act of defiance/resistance and personal data protection.

Please check it out.

grizzly

Apologies this is not directly relevant here, but similar topics have been covered on this forum before.

Now that the Identity Cards Act 2006 has become law, lots of ID opponents are considering when to renew their passport.

NO2ID have produced a fact sheet [see http://www.renewforfreedom.org/NO2ID_Factsheet1.pdf - 69KB PDF file] which explains why it is a good idea to do this, asks people to renew their passport in May as a collective statement against the ID scheme, and provides some information on how to go about renewing.

There is also a website at http://www.renewforfreedom.org with additional information, the factsheet for download in different formats and resources to help promote this particular act of defiance/resistance and personal data protection.

Please check it out.

grizzly

We've just applied for sprogs first passport, form says that from October (I think) you also have to have an interview as part of the application process.

We've just applied for sprogs first passport, form says that from October (I think) you also have to have an interview as part of the application process.

Eh? What they gonna ask the sprog? Is this your mummy and daddy? :unsure:

It is my understanding that from October an "identity authentication interview" will be required, and that they will require a lot of additional information about you, including previous addresses.

This information will eventually find its way into the NIR which our beloved dictator wannabe will sell to private companies without your consent. Any information in the NIR which is incorrect will be deemed to be your fault and you will be fined even if some data entry monkey typed it in incorrectly.

It is my understanding that from October an "identity authentication interview" will be required, and that they will require a lot of additional information about you, including previous addresses.

This information will eventually find its way into the NIR which our beloved dictator wannabe will sell to private companies without your consent. Any information in the NIR which is incorrect will be deemed to be your fault and you will be fined even if some data entry monkey typed it in incorrectly.

Can you not 'opt out' like you can with other companies so that the info can't be sold on? Otherwise, it would surely be an invasion of my privacy....?

Can you not 'opt out' like you can with other companies so that the info can't be sold on?

There's no 'opting out' where the government is concerned.

But interviewing every passport applicant sounds like another good way to increase the number of worthless government employees and stitch up the unemployment figures.

Naturally it will be for the people to prove that the information is incorrect, rather than the govt to prove that it's correct.

There'll be an appeals process etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

No, no one can opt-out . You can opt-out of having an ID card until 1st Jan 2010, but you CANNOT opt-out of having ALL of your details entered into the NIR including fingerprints and iris scans. Once you are in the database you are in the database for life, hence the need to renew your passport before October this year; 51 pounds will buy you privacy for 10 years.

If you don't believe me all the information is on the NO2ID website http://www.no2id.net/

I think the prospect of tenants having to continually update thier details on the register or face a large fine is relivent.

A lot of people here are already renting and will be affected by this scheme.

The ID database scheme, has been brought in amidst the usual downright lies (i.e. Its a volentary scheme etc..) and halftruths, without reference to ordinary people's wishes (undemocratic - like mass immigration).

The basis for this policy is putting in place a control infrastructure. As the money supply continually rises and creates real-world inflation, commodities, bills, and other essentail spending will continue to rise upwards, the expanded state will demand more to cope with an increasing collapse people face in real incomes.

Control over peoples lives by the state has occured in instances of high inflation in the past in the west. Rather than raise interest rates to stop borrowing and demand, a prices and incomes policy is put in place, in which central government dictates what every occupation should earn as income/wages, and what the prices of thier produce should be.

Brief but strict wage and price controls were imposed during World War II and the Korean War, as well as more limited ones in the 1960s. America's most controversial peacetime experiment with an incomes policy was during the period 1971–74, when inflation was fueled by the costs of the Vietnam War, the 1973 oil embargo, and the later quadrupling in the world price of oil. Wage and price controls during peacetime have yielded minor gains at best in the United States.

I believe this infrastructure of total control, will quickly be turned into control by the state over ordinary people, to ensure government revenue as real world inflation creates a drop in incomes, as costs like rents, and other essentials are raised.

In the roman empire, when a central government dictated peoples lives by a similar ID database system, people were caught between paying rents to landlords and taxes and had little real capital left over except for basic subsistance.

http://www.newstatesman.com/200604170017

john pilger

Those who fail to hear these steps on the road to dictatorship should look at the government's plans for ID cards, described in its manifesto as "voluntary". They will be compulsory and worse. An ID card will be different from a driving licence or passport. It will be connected to a database called the NIR (National Identity Register), where your personal details will be stored. These will include your fingerprints, a scan of your iris, your residence status and unlimited other details about your life. If you fail to keep an appointment to be photographed and fingerprinted, you can be fined up to £2,500.

Every place that sells alcohol or cigarettes, every post office, every pharmacy and every bank will have an NIR terminal where you can be asked to "prove who you are". Each time you swipe the card, a record will be made at the NIR - so, for instance, the government will know every time you withdraw more than £99 from your bank account. Restaurants and off-licences will demand that the card be swiped so that they are indemnified from prosecution. Private business will have full access to the NIR. If you apply for a job, your card will have to be swiped. If you want a London Underground Oyster card, or a supermarket loyalty card, or a telephone line or a mobile phone or an internet account, your ID card will have to be swiped.

In other words, there will be a record of your movements, your phone calls and shopping habits, even the kind of medication you take. These databases, which can be stored in a device the size of a hand, will be sold to third parties without you knowing. The ID card will not be your property and the Home Secretary will have the right to revoke or suspend it at any time without explanation. This would prevent you drawing money from a bank.

Like the constitution-hijacking bill now reaching its final stages, and the criminalising of peaceful protest, ID cards are designed to control the lives of ordinary citizens (as well as enrich the new Labour-favoured companies that will build the computer systems). A small, determined and profoundly undemocratic group is killing freedom in Britain, just as it has killed literally in Iraq. That is the news. "The kaleidoscope has been shaken," said Blair at the 2001 Labour party conference. "The pieces are in flux. Soon they will settle again. Before they do, let us reorder this world around us."

No, no one can opt-out . You can opt-out of having an ID card until 1st Jan 2010, but you CANNOT opt-out of having ALL of your details entered into the NIR including fingerprints and iris scans. Once you are in the database you are in the database for life, hence the need to renew your passport before October this year; 51 pounds will buy you privacy for 10 years.

If you don't believe me all the information is on the NO2ID website http://www.no2id.net/

My passport runs out in 2013. Can I pretend to lose it and apply for another one as a backup? Or does the 'lost' passport then become unusable?

Anyway, it's another good reason not to buy a house in the UK: who's going to want to pay over the odds to live in a police state?

So when they get all these past addresses, do you think they'll be going after people who didn't pay poll tax?

My passport runs out in 2013. Can I pretend to lose it and apply for another one as a backup? Or does the 'lost' passport then become unusable?

You can apply for a new passport at anytime and up to 9 months of validity can be transferred to the new one, though obviously your current passport will be cancelled.

The ID card scheme is going to cause serious distress especially to women and the elderly. When a woman has her handbag stolen and her Id cards is in it. First, she will have to go to a police station and maybe wait for an hour to report it. Until she gets a new card she will not be able to do all the things an ID card allows you to do. To get a replacement she will have to pay a fair sum, she will have to submit documentation and probably go for an interview. The original theft will cause less problem than getting a replacement ID card.

In the town I where I work at the local market about 30 pensioners have their handbags stolen every week. Since you are expected to carry an ID card to do many things, most of these pensioners will have their ID cards stolen along with their handbag. All will have to pay for replacement ID cards and go through a difficult procedure for reporting them lost and applying for new cards. Nationwide thousands of handbags containing ID cards will be stolen every week.

I think it's safe to say that the whole thing will be a disaster. That's about the only good news here.

Naturally it will be for the people to prove that the information is incorrect, rather than the govt to prove that it's correct.

There'll be an appeals process etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

You have been involved in the legal system lots them?

Please check it out.

grizzly

Avoid having to tell Mr Blair....................... I personally think that it is a great idea, lets flood his inbox with all our movements. If we all break it down to the tiniest bit of detail how long before he gets bored??

Perhaps we could tell him how long it took us to get our hair cut and at what cost.........

There is one good thing about ID cards: they will make my Russian wife feel at home. At her town in Russia people, of course, have to report changes of address. You can only do it on Tuesday and Thursday between 5pm and 6pm. There is always an horrendous queue. If you're place in the queue doesn't get to the front by 6pm you have to come back the next time. Officials find every fault they can with the documents you provide to prove your new address. So you have a good chance of being asked to return with the correct documents. If you go to your second home, or go to stay with a friend for a month, you will have to register at the police station each time. Police are constantly walking past you some holding machine-guns. Don't look any in the eye because maybe if they are short of arrests in their monthly quota they will pull you out of the queue and charge you with something.

Edited by Padiham

Avoid having to tell Mr Blair....................... I personally think that it is a great idea, lets flood his inbox with all our movements. If we all break it down to the tiniest bit of detail how long before he gets bored??

Right, I'm off to the smallest room to produce mine. I think we might just be going through the motions though... :P

TLM

You have been involved in the legal system lots them?

Perhaps we could tell him how long it took us to get our hair cut and at what cost.........

Sorry, just had to pipe in here....LOVE that idea!! Lets give him what he really wants!!

Someone wanna start up the campaign? choose a crucial date and then get everyone e-mailing on the same day!!!!! I'd CC in old Tony's bestest buddy, Georgie Porgie pudding and Bush!!

I really am going now

ta, ta!

Topher Bear

PS already planned to renew passports next month, for all of us, before i knew about this, and now I am glad to be doing it!

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I refuse to renew my passport. Since the Monarch no longer agrees to send a gunboat if I am not accorded free passage without let or hindrance I no longer feel safe leaving these shores. :unsure:

Sorry, just had to pipe in here....LOVE that idea!! Lets give him what he really wants!!

Someone wanna start up the campaign? choose a crucial date and then get everyone e-mailing on the same day!!!!! I'd CC in old Tony's bestest buddy, Georgie Porgie pudding and Bush!!

I really am going now

ta, ta!

Topher Bear

PS already planned to renew passports next month, for all of us, before i knew about this, and now I am glad to be doing it!

Anyone know when TB's birthday is?

I have refused to fill in either the census form or the form for voters registration for the last ten or so years - occasionaly a couple of ladies from the local council knock on my door and tell me I HAVE to fill one in - I so "No" - and they go away for a year or two. I don't get a vote but the same bloody party get in round here anyway so nothing lost there - I have certainly not lost out from not being on the voters register BTW!

Edited by 737