House Price Crash Forum
Catch22

Get Down To The Glorious Yorkshire Dales

The local weekly rag features a big article today on the effect of high housing costs on the local hotel and catering industry. In that they are having to source staff from agencies supplying mostly East Europeans. Whilst most of these workers are given good reviews by their employers. The local business owners are highlighting the reason they are employing them, is because the Dales are being stripped of it's younger generations due to quote: the "astronomical" cost of housing in this part of the country due to the second home market.

The young Dales bred folk are being dispersed into the grot BTL world of the big West Yorkshire cities. No more will young wives and mothers supplement the familes income by taking on these jobs. The generational link with the countryside will be broken for ever. Hill farmers on megre subsistance incomes unable to pay their rents due to the corporate strangulation of the supermarket chains.

So get yourself down to the "Glorious Yorkshire Dales" were you will nodoubt be received with a warm and hearty Latvian welcome :rolleyes:

Welcome to The Miracle Economy, curtisy of Gordon Brown the UK's answer to Slobodan Molosivic

Edited by Catch22

but where do the EEs live?

Cheap rented accomodation at three to a room?

Welcome to The Miracle Economy, curtisy of Gordon Brown

Well, they are 'the party of the working man'. They just didn't mention that the working man in question is Eastern European.

but where do the EEs live?

12 to a room makes property costs bearable.

The UK's dirty secret is its army of hidden poor. Basically they are not treated as humans, but some other species that the rules don't apply to. Scratch the glossy surface and the UK is a victorian turd underneath.

Edited by Smell the Fear

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, its a Miracle Economy don't you know. Inflation is only at 2% and house prices only ever go up while interest rates only go down.

:lol:

15 years or so ago many people feared Spanish , Portuguese and Greek people would flood Northern Europe

when their countires acceeded to the EU.......and of course they didn't....This is the main reason the government has been so cavalier in opening our borders to the 2004 EE accession peoples.

They failed to see how different the 2 situations are.....Poland for example has 22% unemployment and wages about a fifth of ours and is many ways culturally closer to us than the Mediterranean countries.

Poles have told me that over there only people with contacts can get menial jobs on £1 an hour.

Immigration of this type boosts tax revenues and helps growth but where are all the new arrivals expected to live?......

My town (on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales!) has possibly thousands of EEs (especially Poles and Lithuanians) doing the shop and hotel and nursing home jobs which are the mainstay of the the local economy...the town is supposedly well-off but the well-off people commute great distances in huge German motorcars or are retired people like the sort of pensioners you get in Dorset..

The EEs certainly are living crammed in like sardines but the sheer numbers means it still has a big impact on the housing market...

Immigration (and the BNP even!) have a place in this forum as it affects housing!...

Bulgaria and Romania are joining the EU next year, I believe

Edited by Michael

Immigration of this type boosts tax revenues and helps growth but where are all the new arrivals expected to live?......

It also boosts government spending as British workers are displaced onto the dole. I suspect the tax implications are negative overall, not positive.

In Bedford the Eastern Europeans rent large houses and fill them with up to 40 people, all 'hot-bedding'.

Despite what the property optimists say, I doubt that they will have much impact on the housing scene as most who I have spoken to just want to work and save hard, live very cheaply, and then go home. I doubt that many of them will be takers for over-priced UK property.

Edited by Red Baron

...quote: the "astronomical" cost of housing in this part of the country due to the second home market.

I can remember a childhood neighbour of mine, a well-off retired plumber, expressing his dismay that he couldn't afford to realize his long-held dream of relocating to the Dales because property there was too expensive. And that was back in . . . 1985.

As they might say there, "there's nowt new under t' sun".

12 to a room makes property costs bearable.

The UK's dirty secret is its army of hidden poor. Basically they are not treated as humans, but some other species that the rules don't apply to. Scratch the glossy surface and the UK is a victorian turd underneath.

All the following is qualiified with "if I remember correctly".

When the cockle pickers who died in Morcombe Bay were in the news, one article described their living conditions, and many per room (not sure it would have been 12) was the real-world situation. But it wasn't the local "regular" BTLers who were making money from them, it was the gangmasters who had bought cheap properties which they put the workers in.

Edit: A claim of 60 people living in a 11 bed property, being charged £30-40 a week for accommodation.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,...1143060,00.html

Billy Shears

Edited by BillyShears

In Bedford the Eastern Europeans rent large houses and fill them with up to 40 people, all 'hot-bedding'.

Despite what the property optimists say, I doubt that they will have much impact on the housing scene as most who I have spoken to just want to work and save hard, live very cheaply, and then go home. I doubt that many of them will be takers for over-priced UK property.

Some years ago me and my girlfriend went to work for a summer in Banff, Canada.

Got jobs pretty quickly but accomodation was hard to find.

Banff has a small amount of accomodation to rent. People are restricted from buying properties in the town unless they are resident there themselves. This has also limited the number of rental properties available.

After a few weeks spent in the 'Y' we met some other travellers and agreed to share an apartment.

The apartment was studio size and we shared with a variety of Canadians.

Some nights however there were 12 or so in the apartment. The patio door would open and close in the middle of the night as people came and went. Didn't know who they were and didn't care - too busy sleeping off the previous nights drinking!!

Eventually as people left we were able to secure a proper bed to sleep on!

We had enough of it by the end of the summer though. Everyone we shared with were fair and there was no trouble.

Now it was fun but something I couldn't imagine doing now.

In the UK people will do this kind of thing if property is hard to find at a good price. The wealthy poles will be staying put in Poland. The poorer working classes will come here for a while, earn as much money as they can, then go back. Until living wages improve in Poland and other EE countries then this will continue for some time. But I do not see it having any effect on housing supply.

On another note though we were lucky to share with the people we did. This cramming of people into accomodation is bad and people can get exploited by others especially if they are not fluent in the language. Crime and trouble between people is more likely to happen too.