House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gilf

Reporting And Estate Agent

I'm sure this has been asked plenty of times but I want to know who I would report an estate agents to for putting up Sold boards when the property is still for sale.

The following link is to 6 houses which have been on the market for some time (6 months +), in the front is a main road and the view from the back garden is the Schweps factory. From day one each alternate board has been a sold sign, so house 1 has for sale, house 2 sold, house 3 for sale, house 4 sold and so on. It's either an incredible coincidence that they sold 3 alternate houses on the first day they were put up for sale, the other 3 haven't sold in the following 6 month period and also all three buyers have yet to move in. Or of course they are lying and the houses have not sold.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-102...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

One other thing god knows how they managed to stop the constant streem of traffic going past long enough to take a photo with no cars in.

Edited by gilf

There are a few suspicious ones around here also. "Sold" for months on end and no activity. I think it is the EAs way of falsifying the true state of the market. Next thing they will be doing is having their employees post up for sale signs and quickly replace them with "sold" signs to try to recreate the frenzy.

Desperate times require desperate measure I suppose.

Contact the local Trading Standards Office. Apart from the Property Misdescriptions Act 1991 and the Property Misdescriptions (Specified Matters) Order 1992 this is also likely to be an offence under the Trades Description Act.

'Information for estate agents -- property descriptions':

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/corporate/S...0256fea003a0df8

2) Town & Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 1992

Under these Regulations, the display of temporary 'For sale', ‚'To let' or 'Sold' boards is allowed by way of a "deemed planning consent", providing certain criteria regarding maximum size, etc. are met. Once a sale has gone through, or a premise has been let, a sign such as 'Sold' or 'Let' may only be displayed for a maximum of 14 days.

'Outdoor advertisements and signs: a guide for advertisers':

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1144632

If the sale or letting is for residential use or development, the advertisement board must not exceed 0.5 of a square metre, or a total area of 0.6 of a square metre for two joined boards. No advertisement board is allowed to extend outwards from the wall of a building by more than 1 metre. In each case only one board may be displayed on premises and this must be removed not later than 14 days after completion of the sale or granting of the tenancy.

Contact the local Trading Standards Office. Apart from the Property Misdescriptions Act 1991 and the Property Misdescriptions (Specified Matters) Order 1992 this is also likely to be an offence under the Trades Description Act.

'Information for estate agents -- property descriptions':

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/corporate/S...0256fea003a0df8

'Outdoor advertisements and signs: a guide for advertisers':

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1144632

Cheers for the info, I think in the first instance I'll send a letter to the Estate Agents asking why there are SOLD boards on properties which either haven't sold, or if they have why the signs have not been taken down. Then if they don't replace or remove them I'll take it further. That sort of thing is always easier when you are armed with the facts.

I assume there are various loop holes such as Sold STC etc but it might be a good thing to keep on top of, i.e. keep a note when you see a SOLD board and let the agent know when the 14 days are up, then again you could get a life.

Are you sure its not just part of the design for the House? When you are struggling to pay the mortgage you can get advertisers to sponsor your house. Its a busy road and is prime marketing material. :rolleyes:

TB

I assume there are various loop holes such as Sold STC etc but it might be a good thing to keep on top of, i.e. keep a note when you see a SOLD board and let the agent know when the 14 days are up, then again you could get a life.

The reg says the sign must be removed 'once the sale has gone through'.

What does that mean? 14 days after when? Exchange? Completion?

Anyone know?

Not quiite the thread but, I rented a house, which the landlord put on the market.

Within 24 hours - For Sale sign was out.

Within 3 days - Sold sign was out.

The Estate Agents were instructed by the Landlord to inform me of any viewings and get my permission in advance. I'd had no notification of viewings. However, assumed protocol had been ignored and it was sold. Waited for Landlord to inform me of my day-to-move-out for two weeks. Nothing.

Called the Landlord who said he'd had no notification of viewings let alone potential sale.

He called EA - gave some excuse about running out of signs?

Two days later For Sale sign up.

One week later - SOLD STC up. No permission sought from me.

Contacted Landlord - didn't know anything about it.

For Sale sign put back up - and stayed up for 6 months.

The area was high turnover (if one believed the signs) - of two bed houses - in a not so good area.

Think a game was being played to give the illusion.

Worse still, I ended up showing the potential buyers around the house as the EA would ring at short notice and say the clients were on their way. Eventually lost it and said it was their job to show people round and they said the Landlord was in the wrong for them to seek my permission and that he'd agreed I wld show the property! Total lies.

But by then the real buyers had already put in an offer.

The Landlord decided not to take further issue - although he was very pissed with them - 'cos he needed to sell fast and having made 50% profit in less than 3 years - he didn't care.

Ironically, he moved into his other half's Council house - which she'd got as a single mum with two kids - but thanks to him became a mum of three. Suspect he then used the profits to buy the Council House. Perhaps that's what I hope has happened!

Is the game still being played?

Think so.

Now in a different area - Easter bounce - 1 bed flat for Sale one week, next week SOLD sign. A few weeks later - For Sale sign out. Again, two weeks later SOLD sign out ... still out there but it's a rented property - and perhaps the tennnants aren't like me, and want to stay as long as possible and don't view it as their responsibility to report the EAs. Flat advertised as FOR SALE in this weeks' paper.

Haven't bothered to go into the agents to find out whether it's really for sale - don't have the time based on passed experience.

Take up the advice on this forum ... they do seem to play games with their signs.

Personally, I just watch and make my nightly walk a patrol of SOLD/FOR SALE signs.

Good luck getting them on the game.

By the way, one of member of my family has been an EA for over 15 years - and is now giving up his private firm. We're estrranged so I can't use him as a quote. Except that he always hated the games played and believed he saw a market as a true, honest, agent. He tried to make it work by telling people realistic prices - but got overshot by other agents. And of course, the other EAs priced him out and got sales. Eventually he turned things over fast for those who'd failed with other EAs.

He's a clever man, and as he said - if I wanted to shaft people - I'd have been a lawyer - but I just wanted to help.

Sad that one lonely EA who had the good at heart has bitten the dust.

Actually a lot of this problem is caused by potential clients. When you go to value a property the owner wants to be assured that you are the busiest, best, cleverest, most experienced, hardest working, most innovative and successful agent in town and, of course, that you are going to get them the highest price. The best way of convincing people that you are the most successful agent is by having the most Sold boards up. We all have our minions out driving up and down counting each other's boards. Pathetic or what!

But if I give a potential client a pretty graph showing that over the last 3 months I am the most successful agent, I am half way to getting instructed.

Not many vendors are interested in integrity and obtaining a fair price for their property. They want that sort of agent when they are buying but not when they are selling.