House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Dairy Product Prices And Inflation?

Am I going mad, or did I hear earlier that UK inflation fell because of a fall in the price of dairy products??? :blink:

Nope you're not going mad. This fricking country is though!!!

It's true. Milk futures for delivery Saturday down 15%.

Tesco Pasteurised Semi-Skimmed Milk 2.272 Ltr

£1.00 Was £1.16 £1.00

(£0.44/litre)

Tesco Healthy Eating Semi- Skimmed Milk 1.136ltr/2 Pints

53p Was 64p £0.53

(£0.47/litre)

Tesco Healthy Eating Semi- Skimmed Milk 3.408ltr/6 Pints

£1.50 Was £1.69 £1.50

(£0.44/litre)

Tesco Whole Milk 2.272ltr/4 Pints

£1.00 Was £1.16 £1.00

(£0.44/litre)

Tesco Healthy Eating Skimmed Milk 2.272ltr/4 Pints

£1.00 Was £1.16 £1.00

(£0.44/litre)

Tesco Whole Milk 1.136ltr/2 Pints

53p Was 64p £0.53

(£0.47/litre)

Tesco Healthy Eating Skimmed Milk 1.136ltr/2 Pints

53p Was 64p £0.53

(£0.47/litre)

Tesco Whole Milk 3.408ltr/6 Pints

£1.50 Was £1.69 £1.50

(£0.44/litre)

It's true. Milk futures for delivery Saturday down 15%.

Just think of the poor s*dding farmers who keep getting paid less and less for the milk they produce - their costs are not going down - we live in a country where people are happy pay more for a bottle of tap water than a pint of milk.....

- just think about it - its as daft up as the current property market - people making a tonne of money by doing very little (bottling some water - some of it fizzy) where the farmer has to produce milk at a loss to help subsidise Tesco's profits (and the rest) :angry:

Just think of the poor s*dding farmers who keep getting paid less and less for the milk they produce - their costs are not going down - we live in a country where people are happy pay more for a bottle of tap water than a pint of milk.....

- just think about it - its as daft up as the current property market - people making a tonne of money by doing very little (bottling some water - some of it fizzy) where the farmer has to produce milk at a loss to help subsidise Tesco's profits (and the rest) :angry:

Think of the poor wee cows. I hear they are moving towards 'factory farmed' milk where the cows stand in little cages grass and food at one end and their udders permanently attached to the milking machine at the other. :(:(

I'd like to know how much they weight dairy products in the inflation figures.

Average family of 4 probably spends £10 a week on dairy....£20 tops.

Strip out fast rising energy costs from the equation, but the average family probably spends well over £100 a week if you include petrol. Also they have no choice about energy...its a must have.

I'd like to know how much they weight dairy products in the inflation figures.

Average family of 4 probably spends £10 a week on dairy....£20 tops.

Strip out fast rising energy costs from the equation, but the average family probably spends well over £100 a week if you include petrol. Also they have no choice about energy...its a must have.

Not if you're Ignorant Steve:-

Most families with children will easily spend £40 a month on milk / cheese.

We spend about £20 a week.

Edited by OzzMosiz

Think of the poor wee cows. I hear they are moving towards 'factory farmed' milk where the cows stand in little cages grass and food at one end and their udders permanently attached to the milking machine at the other. :(:(

Well I doubt it will ever get that bad (dont believe everything you hear) - the farms will be put out of busisness by Tonyb and his mates first (more stuff we will have to import). But the principle is the same - the less we all pay for our milk the more pressure goes on our farms (most of which are running at a loss just now anyway) it leaves the farmer with no option but to cut costs to the absolute minimum and this puts more and more pressure on the animals and concequently their welfare - think of that next time you hear your supermarket saying how great it is their milk is 1p a pint cheaper than the next shop down - and tesco et. al. all make profit on the milk they sell - unlike the farmers - sorry these rants should probably be targeted to another board..... :rolleyes:

Edited by lulu

It's all very well churning out these facts but I dairy say everyones consumption is different, so the argument's full of holes, on the udder hand, the underlying trend seems to be causing inflation to rise. You have to whey up the curds and effect of the whole picture - there's stiltons of information available to back up these figures baby bel-ieve me. :(

Edited by Badger

It's all very well churning out these facts but I dairy say everyones consumption is different, so the argument's full of holes, on the udder hand, the underlying trend seems to be causing inflation to rise. You have to whey up the curds and effect of the whole picture - there's stiltons of information available to back up these figures baby bel-ieve me. :(

Stop milking it. This thread curdled hours ago. :blink: