House Price Crash Forum

There is at least a thousand years supply of natural gas available at current demand for the World to use (to really **** it self up even further no doubt....)

No doubt the live to day **** tommorrow state mentality will not change at all in that time.

When will we go green??? ffs. Progress for advancements, not for progressions sake

I'm sure idiots will be driving around in their 4x4s even if people all over the world are choking to death.

Billy Shears

There is at least a thousand years supply of natural gas available at current demand for the World to use

Who told you that?

There is at least a thousand years supply of natural gas available at current demand for the World to use (to really **** it self up even further no doubt....)

No doubt the live to day **** tommorrow state mentality will not change at all in that time.

but demand is increasing all the time :P

but demand is increasing all the time :P

thats a long time during which a few 'black' projects will have to have been revealed by.

Energy supply is largely a red herring in the long term. Its all about control and money at the moment. Wind is a joke when you have an idea of the real picture.

Biggest problem we have is population growth.

This will probaby sound naive, but we have a nuclear fireball soaking us with energy once a day. Plus a moon greating vast gravitational and tidal forces. Plus wind. Plus hydroelectric. Plus ethanol-via-sugarcane. Plus whatever-is-invented-once-oil-hegemony-is-overcome.

If we can't meet our energy needs from this lot, we deserve everything we get. We need to develop energy sources beyond sticking a straw in the politically-unstable desert and expecting combustible fossilised liquid to spurt out.

Edited by tahoma

Various sub-surface teams "aka reservoir frogs"

OK, my source (BP, 2002) gives a world R/P ratio of 60 years.

I'm sure idiots will be driving around in their 4x4s even if people all over the world are choking to death.

Billy Shears

Aren't they already? Doesn't the UK, and London in particular, have the highest rate of asthma in the world? At a colleague's daughter's school, they have a rack for the kids to put their inhalers in. I cycle to all my appointments.

This will probaby sound naive, but we have a nuclear fireball soaking us with energy once a day. Plus a moon greating vast gravitational and tidal forces. Plus wind. Plus hydroelectric. Plus ethanol-via-sugarcane. Plus whatever-is-invented-once-oil-hegemony-is-overcome.

If we can't meet our energy needs from this lot, we deserve everything we get. We need to develop energy sources beyond sticking a straw in the politically-unstable desert and expecting combustible fossilised liquid to spurt out.

Remember that bio fuels need inputs in the form of fertilizer which is a petroleum derivative. If the land is producing ethanol in huge qunatities, its not producing food.

The level of nutrients in our vegetables has depleted by a massive amount over the past few decades, largely due to over farming and not puting back into the soil what is taken out. To re-dress any soil nutrient inbalance we still have to expend energy to get back to where it should be. Bio crops are not the answer, only a small part of a more complex solution only.

There will (are) be mind boggling alternatives, just that those who hold them have a strategic reluctance to release the information.

Aren't they already? Doesn't the UK, and London in particular, have the highest rate of asthma in the world? At a colleague's daughter's school, they have a rack for the kids to put their inhalers in. I cycle to all my appointments.

Hi,

It is a very good point I was just thinking of the other day. Having lived around central London for a few decades, it really is astounding to think of the wasted fuel and pollution created within London's road and transport network, often because of road and train networks shifted around an antiquated planning system. Nice one Gordy, go preaching to the rest of the world about the environment when your own capital city struggles to transport (and house - it's all connected) the populations in an environmentally and business efficient manner. I remember reading after the great fire of London that the emminent architect of the day, Sir Christopher Wren, proposed that the smoking ruins of London (with many areas erased of people and loose records to even trace land holdings for relatives) be rebuilt on a grid system with wider avenues and boulevards, central parkland areas and the like.

Of course, in the mad grab for vacant land and existing land rights, it was rebuilt much the same way on a horse-and-cart medievial village style. 350 odd years later we still have trains trying to snake around central city areas in a fragmented infrastructure, around streets designed for horse and cart, buses sitting in narrow streets for hours at a time belching fumes, cars gridlocked. All the time, continually planning to cram everything into London and the South East. And then look at the Barker review for NuLabs future for housing and communities. Predominently building satellite communities around exisiting big cities or flood planes, on the cheap, legoland style of design with thousands of rabbit hutches requiring a car to drive down to the nearest mega-mall with B&Q, UCI ten screen cinema, Burger King, etc., to see anything else other than thousands of other cheap build houses for miles in either direction with nothing else inbetween them. And definitely requiring commuting for work, often commuting in a car just to get to the nearest train station to get to work. And they haven't even started or made any progress with the Barker recommendations yet (of course, NuLab don't want to admit there is a problem, unrealistic house prices and a MeW-driven economy are their raison d'etre). Gordon Brown and the environment? People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, I think is the saying.

Boomer

Edited by boom_and_bust

look OIL is F***IN carbon-neutral!!!!!!!

it's made by decomposing plant matter over 100's of years at high pressure.

.....the only thing we need to figure out is how to accelerate the cycle,and then we can dump all carbon-based matter into a giant compost heap,feed it a few enzymes and fill our cars up with the sludge.

I think that everyone having their own, or several of their own, great big oil burning smoking personal transport machine will be seen as a historical curiosity that people will hardly be able to believe.

look OIL is F***IN carbon-neutral!!!!!!!

it's made by decomposing plant matter over 100's of years at high pressure.

.....the only thing we need to figure out is how to accelerate the cycle,and then we can dump all carbon-based matter into a giant compost heap,feed it a few enzymes and fill our cars up with the sludge.

A bit more than 100s of years surely?

Accellerating the cycle is as simple as growing plants for fuel. Alcohol is one option. Vegetable oils as fuels is another. But I'm sure that if the oil runs out there will be all sorts of ways of converting fresh vegetable matter to fuel. Both old and currently unused, and new ones.

Billy Shears

When I was living in London, I had a little difficulty breathing which eventually turned out to be bronchitis. When I went to the doctors they just assumed that it was asthma, were unfazed by my comment that I hadn't had asthma before, and were very surprised when the test was negative.

Billy Shears