House Price Crash Forum

A Nations Of Spendaholics

HOLA441

I am watching 'Spendaholics' which seems to be occupied by crazy party-boys with crazy asymmetrical hairdos who apparently do not understand the value of money. The question is, are they the exception or the norm?

Walking around, the world seems full of them with their crazy stripy flourescent tops and crazy spend-now-pay-never attitude. They need those crazy shoes. They had to have them.

Are they the ultimate manifestation of Blair's Britain? Or am I just getting old (35 next month, oops).

I won't be counting on them to pay my pension. I know, I'll buy a BTL flat, property never goes down after all.

HOLA442

I am watching 'Spendaholics' which seems to be occupied by crazy party-boys with crazy asymmetrical hairdos who apparently do not understand the value of money. The question is, are they the exception or the norm?

Walking around, the world seems full of them with their crazy stripy flourescent tops and crazy spend-now-pay-never attitude. They need those crazy shoes. They had to have them.

Are they the ultimate manifestation of Blair's Britain? Or am I just getting old (35 next month, oops).

I won't be counting on them to pay my pension. I know, I'll buy a BTL flat, property never goes down after all.

They don't understand money because plastic is not real - it just appears to be yet another thing/person/organisation supporting them (like their lovely non-spoiling mothers) or bailing them out or the state helping them to not take responsibility or the school threatening them with sanctions but having no teeth (similarly the police or the courts for that matter).

Maybe they know that they are being exploited but the world they inhabit is about possession and image, as the media tells them that this leads to sex. They have the sickness that society desires to give them.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Unfortunately this does seem to be the norm, many of my friends have no respect for money, I've now given up on explaining the folly of excessive spending with credit cards. And if this is the norm how are these people going to contribute to the economy when they starting out with debt? Especially students.

Sadly the want it have it mentality prevails.

HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest Bart of Darkness

I love watching Spendaholics because it offers an insight into what is (for me) an alien way of thinking. My attitude to debt is very old fashioned and I'm definitely out of step with modern attitudes to credit.

I don't know if it's all spendaholic types or just the ones we see on the show, but there's usually some buried trauma in their past that is given as a reason for their actions.

Having said that, one rampant spendaholic that I know (through work) blames herself for her father's suicide, so maybe there's something in it.

HOLA447

Ah, if only that were true. That would infer 10% of our male population followed this pattern.

Alas I fear it is closer to 70%.

10% comes from the Kinsey report. He was discredited because he (cough) "examined" sex offenders, I believe (source: Channel 5 post 11pm).

So the 10% figure was, er, questioned because clearly sex offenders could be 90% straight, and the non-sex-offending general populous could, of course, be 65% gay.

:o

65%? Where did I get that figure from.... Oh yeah, I recall it's the US Consumer debt as a percentage of GDP! Gosh! So if that's how it works, we must be 105% gay then!!

;)

(I knew fred would have something to say, wait for it)

(Still waiting)

Edited by megaflop

HOLA448

its general lilly livered-ness. spider shirts. ripped jeans with pretty things stitched on them. binge drinking and small cars. its making your own garlic bread. its living at home with mumsy at 30. its shockwaves styling moose grooming cream for girly 'men'. with aftershocks for a longer lasting hold. its photocopying your spikey hairdo repeatedly for more 'shocks. yeah. its watching uber somethings enjoy a refreshing work showing in a business environment, then coming home for a bath in a flowery bathroom. its talking premiership and pizza. its a throw on a couch. a playstation and chips. an iron and taking your washing to your mums and borrowing her car.

its the smell of tikka salad eminating from a canvas manbag.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest Winners and Losers

its the smell of tikka salad eminating from a canvas manbag.

:lol::lol:

Telling her that you're gay keeps the ugly women at bay.

:unsure:

So that's why Shaker told me he was gay?? :unsure:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I tried putting myself in the snake-skinned shoes of one these hairdressers, and saw them as having the following options:

1) live within my means and be a bit bored.

2) go ott with everything, have a thrill a minute and die leaving £150k debt.

on balance, i preferred the second as i wasn't planning on having kids, you only get one go at life, so in my circumstances why not be completely selfish?

what i have more trouble understanding is the family of four who has to have the 4x4, every dvd released, 150 fluffy toys, £100 trainers every three months, crippling mortgage, spend £200 a week on food, throw two-thirds of it away unused...love the kids so much that they'll leave 'em £50k debt each rather than £50k equity.

HOLA4416

Saw one this morning wrapped round a chavvy girl. Spiky asymmetrical hair with blonde highlights (how much?!), hooded top with massive logo advertising the manufacturer for free (tit) those stupid trousers which only go half way down the calf (total twit) and utterly gitish puma boxing style shoes (c*ck) and don't get me started on the chavvy bird (wide silvery belt too loose etc with all the other off the peg chav standard wear) :lol::lol:

HOLA4417

I think ponces is a more apt description.

A nation of ponces in flash suits and Audi TTs. So superficial and blind to the important things in life.

It's all "Look at me, I've made it!"

It seems values have been subverted. I remember watching a property programme a few years ago. It was about FTBs and the presenters were helping them "get on the ladder". There was this one particular couple, she was attractive, he was a tall handsome sort of guy, they both did reasonable jobs. The presenter was talking to him about what sort of place he would like to buy and this guy actually started crying because he couldn't buy his wife the sort of place he thought they deserved.

Just plain crazy. Words failed me.

HOLA4418
Guest Winners and Losers

WAL - like your new look (the old one made you look like a bit of a dog)

WAL was getting worried that her true identity might be revealed. :unsure:

The new one is closer to the real me. :unsure:

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Saw one this morning wrapped round a chavvy girl. Spiky asymmetrical hair with blonde highlights (how much?!), hooded top with massive logo advertising the manufacturer for free (tit) those stupid trousers which only go half way down the calf (total twit) and utterly gitish puma boxing style shoes (c*ck) and don't get me started on the chavvy bird (wide silvery belt too loose etc with all the other off the peg chav standard wear) :lol::lol:

I didnt know you lived near WAL? ;)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

'Spendaholics' which seems to be occupied by crazy party-boys with crazy asymmetrical hairdos

CRAZY-SPENDERS.jpg

- -

THE HAVE WATCHED too much television.

Some years ago, advertisers worked out that females were the "soft targets" for their messages.

Women spend more, often doing the shopping for their families, and have the time and inclination to

watch alot of TV. So most of the television programmes, and the advertising on tellie is designed to

get across the "spend, spend, spend" message to their target audience and give them ideas of what

to spend it on. This phenomenon has been intensified by the housing bubble, which makes property

a key focus of spending, along with the more traditional targets like clothes and personal grooming

products.

Now unfortunately, not only young girls, but young boys too, have fallen for this message.

They need to spend more time outdoors, and perhaps take up some sporting hobbies. Cycling, or

just going for a walk is certainly better than lounging in front of the tellie.

Real men don't shop- they buy items they need, only when they need them.

actually, I was just about to talk about my own highlighted asymmetrical spiky hairstyle (bought and paid for) and how it was in my case consistent with a debt free lifestyle and a (admittedly well groomed) liking for traditional English breakfast and old-fashioned chauvinism.

then Bubb pops up with this, which reminded me of something I've been thinking about lately - the blurring of gender boundaries. It seems to me that marketeers have realised that we all make better (i.e. more voracious) consumers if we all have both male and female attributes - this way the checks and balances are removed and we can often subsist as singletons (thereby having fewer encumbrances, like kids, in our mission to acquire shiny pointless tat)...

the traditional family unit has been replaced by masculinised women - who have been encouraged to think that they should have the same desire for conquest and acquisition that men usually have - aswell as linking their self-worth with career betterment. I think the feminised man has been well covered here already - he too makes a powerful consumer as he is often no longer responsible for anyone other than himself and his more unappealing vane aspects are encouraged...

HOLA4423

I've watched about 10 mins of the Apprentice because it is crap and the people on it are generally tw@ts but the asian lad on that sums it all up. No talent just thinks saying 'I'm a winner', trampling over everyone else and talking utter rubbish is the way to make it. Even if he does get to earn alot he is still a tw@t but most likely will end up with 50,000 worth of debt as he lives the dream!