House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CrashConnoisseur

Which? -- Car Insurance Premiums Shoot Up 41 Percent.

'Car insurance premiums shoot up 41 percent -- Which?':

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/news/topstories/8421.htm

Comprehensive car insurance premiums have shot up by 41 percent over the last two years, according to consumer watchdog Which?

The sharp rise, a consequence of the no-win, no-fee claim culture and a growing number of non-insured drivers, has increased the incentive for motorists to shop around for the best deal.

Good job inflation has fallen to 1.8%.

there shopping around for the best deals and still paying 41% more ?

Ive always found comprehensive insurance totaly un-neccesarily.They should realy call it bad drivers insurance instead.

i have third party fire and theft

if someone smashes my motor up then there insurance company pays it

if i smash into someone elses motor then my insurance company pays to fix theirs

i will take my chances, and if i do cause an accident and wreck my van, well i will use a little of the extra premiums ive saved over the years to get another.

i pay 200 year for third party fire and theft in a p reg van, paid less each year in same van as no claims went up.

comprehensive woulda been about 500 year

I pin the blame uniquely on some dozy lorry driver that couldn't recognise a stationary row of traffic in front of him, an element of which was my car! Don't be fooled by this 'professional driver' nonsense, an alarming number of truck drivers are simply complacent bastards with doctored tachometers driving vehicles that are overweight.

Anyway, that's my rant out the way, in my case it resulted in just a few dented panels and a very low opinion of those who drive 44 ton tanks. However, for most of the British public; personal injury compensation is often a matter of course for whatever spurious reason, this is really driving premiums through the roof, the cars are actually pretty cheap to repair or replace nowdays, not so for the compo seekng proles <_<

Edited by BuyingBear

Its good to see that this aggrees with the governments breakdown posted on this thread:

Inflation Breakdown

Car Insurance 0.80%

If there is a simular difference in all the items the CPI should be about 40%

:D

Ive always found comprehensive insurance totaly un-neccesarily.They should realy call it bad drivers insurance instead.

if i smash into someone elses motor then my insurance company pays to fix theirs

i will take my chances, and if i do cause an accident and wreck my van, well i will use a little of the extra premiums ive saved over the years to get another.

i pay 200 year for third party fire and theft in a p reg van, paid less each year in same van as no claims went up.

If you drove a Ferarri you might just have a different opinion ;)

Wasn't there something from the BoE about the CPI being questioned? The 2% rate must be becoming an embarrassment to even Gordon "Miracle Economy" Brown?

IMHO the removal of the BBC license free from the "basket" proves that the figures are nonsense as the BBC is planning to hike the fee more than 100% above the "rate of inflation."

https://registration.ft.com/registration/ba...000e2511c8.html

BBC proposes above-inflation licence fee rise
By FT Reporters
Published: October 11 2005 11:16 | Last updated: October 11 2005 11:16
The BBC, the world's oldest state-owned broadcaster has proposed an increase of the mandatory television licence fee for the seven-year period beginning April 2007.
The BBC asked the UK government for an increase in the licence fee of 2.3 per cent on top of the inflation rate. This increase would raise the current yearly licence fee of £126.50 to £150.50 by 2013.

Thats funny, I thought car insurance was cited as a downward influence on inflation?

Thats what I was trying to say above, the governments figures have car insurance as rising 0.8% in the last year. That seems to be a huge distance from the truth.

They must be wrong - have they not heard inflation is at 2%.

Geez how silly of them. :lol:

No! Seriously!! It's just 1.8%!!! It has to be!!!! I was digging through my gas, electricity, council tax, water, and petrol bills today and I thought to myself "bye 'eck lad, inflation can't be all 't way up at 2%" !!!!!

Thats what I was trying to say above, the governments figures have car insurance as rising 0.8% in the last year. That seems to be a huge distance from the truth.

Isn't every claim made by the government? :rolleyes:

The reason the CPI figure for insurance is 0.8% is because when the ONS asked mr Jones (47), of Railway Cuttings, East Cheam what his insurance was this year he forgot to mention he had traded in his petrol guzzling jag for a more ecomomical Ford Cack due to the spiralling costs of motoring, thus the CPI insurance rise is only minimal.

Dont you lot know anything about economics, doh.

:D

a growing number of non-insured drivers

feckers :angry:

I agree - I'd love to do that as well - but you can only get TTFT on cars valued @ < £5000

I've got the equivalent on mine by hiking up the excess on my comprehensive to £1K

Means I've effectively got TTFT plus write off cover - oh, yeah, I also pay £300 less a year - so I recoup my excess in 3 years :)

I've adopted this attitude to insurance after I was left with a repair bill for £1K after somebody did a hit and run on my parked car and they, effectively, refused to pay out on my comprehensive

In future I've no intention of claiming unless it's a write off - not worth it IMO

Edited by dnd