House Price Crash Forum

Just Returned From Ireland

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats nothing.

in austin texas i bought a disposable lighter with 'american pride' written on it. and on it was a made in china sticker.

i am 100% serious..!!

made me laugh. then i cried for dixie. where have all the cowboys gone i thought.

Edited by right_freds_dead

thats nothing.

in austin texas i bought a disposable lighter with 'american pride' written on it. and on it was a made in china sticker.

i am 100% serious..!!

made me laugh. then i cried for dixie. where have all the cowboys gone i thought.

Brookback mountain?

Micheal Flatley's a **** isn' t he?

Just seen an advert for his latest tap dancing/I'm so Oirish extravagaza. £25 quid a pop at the Newcastle Arena.

I'd rather watch Watership Down on Ice.

edit: actually, It was something I taped off the telly. So it may already have happened. That doesn't change the fact that I have to go to see some popular rock combo called "zero 7" at the newcastle carling academy quite soon. Bloody girlfriends...can't they just leave me be?

Edited by SpoonUnit

Just seen an advert for his latest tap dancing/I'm so Oirish extravagaza. £25 quid a pop at the Newcastle Arena.

I'd rather watch Dead on Acid!

I may be a dissenting voice here, but I'm not particularly fond of Ireland. The weather's crap, it's expensive, it's miserable and boring. What's there to do apart from drink expensive booze and walk in force 9 gales? Britain was well shot of it, if you ask me.

Give me the Continent any day of the week.

I lived there for 5 years in the 80's when you Brits. were still frightened to set foot in the south and any English voices in Dublin bars were still self-conscious, nervous whispers in dark corners....just the way I liked it.

It was without doubt the best 5 years of my life. 3years in Galway on beautiful wild Connemara beaches- 5 miles and not another soul in sight and mostly lovely folk.

2 years in Dublin and many beautiful girls largely without the bitter emotional baggage of their English and Welsh sisters.

In the 80's Ireland still had soul; alas they have discovered money and their descend is now well advanced.

edit: actually, It was something I taped off the telly. So it may already have happened. That doesn't change the fact that I have to go to see some popular rock combo called "zero 7" at the newcastle carling academy quite soon. Bloody girlfriends...can't they just leave me be?

Flatley is a Genius

A lot of that happening here in Scotland. I have a friend who drives diggers - all the sites he works on are loaded with Poles, Czechs etc. The chap who gives him a lift to work is Russian for example.

I have it on very good authority that the only reason Nissan's plant at Sunderland has stayed open is because of the ongoing replacement of expensive local labour with Poles on minimum wage.

I lived there for 5 years in the 80's when you Brits. were still frightened to set foot in the south and any English voices in Dublin bars were still self-conscious, nervous whispers in dark corners....just the way I liked it. It was without doubt the best 5 years of my life. 3years in Galway on beautiful wild Connemara beaches- 5 miles and not another soul in sight and mostly lovely folk. 2 years in Dublin and many beautiful girls largely without the bitter emotional baggage of their English and Welsh sisters. In the 80's Ireland still had soul; alas they have discovered money and their descend is now well advanced.

" . . . leprechauns, shamrocks, Guinness, horses running through council estates, toothless simpletons, people with eyebrows on their cheeks, badly tarmacced drives (in this country), men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings, lots of rocks . . . "

Just spent Easter with the in-laws in Ireland (Mayo). Speaking with family and friends over there, it is absolutely inconceivable that houses could go down in value, never mind crash. A lot of people I spoke to either have a second "investment" house or are planning to get one.

Trouble is, they've heard all this doom-mongering before and despite the warnings, prices are still rocketing.

Regards,

crude

Here’s Flash’s view (ex-Lad of Kent, but been living in Dublin for the last few years)

Positives (in no particular order)

1. Generally friendly, approachable people – it is relatively easy to strike up an interesting conversation with a stranger.

2. Education - average Joe is opinionated and often very well-read, the product of a state education system that is second to none. Irish people love having a story to tell.

3. It’s Safe. Going out at night is generally much safer. Ok, so some folk can drink to excess and occasionally fight but the total mayhem and lawlessness of many British town centres is not replicated here.

4. The ladies – witty, intelligent and HOT, HOT, HOT!

5. Culture – the Irish have a solid sense of cultural identity, seen through writing, music, dance etc. I hope that Ireland can hang on to this, despite the Celtic Tiger.

6. Beautiful countryside and coastline. Wherever you live in Ireland, you really do not have to travel far to get away and enjoy some lovely scenery.

7. A Sense of Community - despite being “a foreigner”, I feel a real part of the community and have made some great friends, unlike the “go home and bolt-the-door” anonymous lifestyle I had back in Kent.

Negatives (in no particular order)

1. It’s Expensive – Most things in Ireland cost much more, food, clothes, motoring etc. etc….and don’t get me on to housing!

2. Healthcare – You guys think the NHS is bad, the Irish system is much worse and you have to pay for it.

3. Cr*p beer – I enjoy Guinness but I really miss proper ale in the pub. Still, I can pop “over the border” occasionally to Sainsburys in Newry and load up the car boot with Old Speckled Hen.

4. Anti-English sentiment – fortunately mostly confined to a certain type of young male (the chip on the shoulder perishes with age) and tends to be worse at times of high-profile sporting events. The World Cup is coming up….oh dear.

5. Transport Infrastructure – this is totally cr*p. The government is awash with cash yet still appears to have no coherent plan to deal with the problem. However, the train and bus is fairly priced.

6. Ridiculously overpriced housing and a culture that pressurises its young to enslave themselves to banks for their entire working lives to pay for it.

On the whole though, I love it here and don’t want to go back.

Culture – the Irish have a solid sense of cultural identity, seen through writing, music, dance etc. I hope that Ireland can hang on to this...

I think Julie Burchill summed that identity up quite succinctly when she wrote about "the Hitler-licking, altar-boy-molesting, abortion-banning Irish".

I think Julie Burchill summed that identity up quite succinctly when she wrote about "the Hitler-licking, altar-boy-molesting, abortion-banning Irish".

So you think that is a "succinct" summation of Irish identity? I agree, because Hitler is indeed my personal hero and I enjoy nothing more than molesting alter-boys.

In fact everyone I know loves Hitler - my mum especially is a BIG fan of his, although my brother and sister are more into Himmler and my dad is a Goebbles man. Gosh, we have such fun around the pot of potato stew of an evening discussing who the very bestest Nazi is. Whiles away hours I tell you!

As for the molestation of alterboys, I recently finished a state-sponsored 2 year Diploma in it. It was fab: chat-up lines to use, manual techniques, how to hide the alterboy, what do do if he gets too lippy etc. Very, very informative and I've recommeneded it to all my friends.

Seamaster, Julie Burchill is smart, successful and funny and can get away with this kind of comment. You, on the other hand, are none of these things so should just fucccking leave it out.

Gotta go - I'm on the last chapter of Mein Kampf and can't wait to see how it turms out! Seig heil!

a house in my estate here in dublin went for 40% more than an identical one next door did only 16months ago!! 40% in 15 months from an already very high level! the rent on the place would be about 15k a year but the house sold for 650k

Edited by ronnie

a house in my estate here in dublin went for 40% more than an identical one next door did only 16months ago!! 40% in 15 months from an already very high level! the rent on the place would be about 15k a year but the house sold for 650k

650k? plus 9% stamp that's over 700k.

If you STR'd on that, and invested it in any old conservatively managed fund, you would probably earn enough to pay that 15k rent at least twice over.

But people don't want hear that. Why?....

"Because house price are going to continue going up, up, up. My neighbours will get richer I will only have a hundreds of thousands in the bank and no house. How will I look my friends in the face when I tell them I am nothing more than tenant scum? Why invest that money and let the market pay me for living in the house, when I can pay interest to the bank"......(This post was sponsored by the Bank of Ireland)

http://www.businessworld.ie/livenews.htm?a...rollingnews.htm

BoI raises all its fixed-rate loan rates
Friday, April 21 13:01:44
(BizWorld)
Bank of Ireland today said it had increased rates across its portfolio of home loan and residential investment loan fixed-rate products.
It said the increase was due to the rise in cost of funds on the financial markets.

:o

http://www.irna.ir/en/news/view/menu-234/0...14642175805.htm

Edited by Realistbear

http://www.businessworld.ie/livenews.htm?a...rollingnews.htm

BoI raises all its fixed-rate loan rates
Friday, April 21 13:01:44
(BizWorld)
Bank of Ireland today said it had increased rates across its portfolio of home loan and residential investment loan fixed-rate products.
It said the increase was due to the rise in cost of funds on the financial markets.

:o

Well I could lick an alter boy! :rolleyes:

I think the fact that the Central Bank has introduced new reserve requirements for loans exceeding 80%(?) LTV has a bearing on matters. News today that nearly 90,000 new homes will be built this year, I think that the new build rate in the UK is in the region of 160,000 pa.

Yes attribute your racism to someone else by wrapping it in a quote.

What quotes can you get us about Pakkis and Darkies?

It'll be in the Mail somewhere.

I have it on very good authority that the only reason Nissan's plant at Sunderland has stayed open is because of the ongoing replacement of expensive local labour with Poles on minimum wage.

" . . . leprechauns, shamrocks, Guinness, horses running through council estates, toothless simpletons, people with eyebrows on their cheeks, badly tarmacced drives (in this country), men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings, lots of rocks . . . "

The did give us "The Pogues"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pogues

And Jamiesons.

But that won't stop things getting very interesting when they get hit by the next ECB rate rise...

Edited by BandWagon

One of my Uncles has just retired to Ireland. He is notoriously rubbish with money and has managed to burn a really good inheritance over the years which has "forced" him to retire to Ireland because houses "are such a good investment". Its like when the milkman tells you to invest in the stock market - time to get out.