House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ril

Just Returned From Ireland

I have just returned from Southern Ireland (Ennis,Galway etc) and Drove about 800K's while i was there for 5 days. And it seems to me the whole of ireland is up for sale, every road you drive down has for sale signs, and not 1 or 2, more like 10-20 and new build flats are everywhere (Most seem half done). Looking in estate agent windows they are very over priced (London->Bristol prices). In the whole time I only saw about 5 sold signs and speaking to the locals everybody seems to either move abroad or be a property developer in Ireland.

ril

I have just returned from Southern Ireland (Ennis,Galway etc) and Drove about 800K's while i was there for 5 days. And it seems to me the whole of ireland is up for sale, every road you drive down has for sale signs, and not 1 or 2, more like 10-20 and new build flats are everywhere (Most seem half done). Looking in estate agent windows they are very over priced (London->Bristol prices). In the whole time I only saw about 5 sold signs and speaking to the locals everybody seems to either move abroad or be a property developer in Ireland.

ril

Where has all the money come from given that Ireland was one of the poorest countries in Europe a few years ago? EC subsidies and hence the UK taxpayers?

Where has all the money come from given that Ireland was one of the poorest countries in Europe a few years ago? EC subsidies and hence the UK taxpayers?

Firstly, higher wages. Irish average wages are now supposed to be comparable to those in the UK. This doesn't take taxation into account, which is another story, but there you go. Secondly, cheap credit boom. Thirdly, the youmusthaveahouse/rentingisdeadmoney mentality and a lack of awareness of market cycles/belief that prices can drop.

Not EU subsidies at all - Ireland is now a net contributor.

Sounds like they are playing pass the parcel in the Irish pub game over there. Get rid of it quick before it blows up or gets caught in the coming correction.

Last time I heard anything like this was when I was in Oregon in about 1979. Overnight 1 in 3 of all the houses in Eugene went on the market for sale. It was the beginning of the Big Crash of the late seventies early eighties.

When a market turns the panic effect seems to take over and everyone wants to sell at once.

ril

This is the way forward......We can't compete with countries like China when it comes to manufacturing so we should go for a service-based economy...eg all just buy and sell houses and watch the prices rise!

This is the way forward......We can't compete with countries like China when it comes to manufacturing so we should go for a service-based economy...eg all just buy and sell houses and watch the prices rise!

You have just described the "Miracle Economy" in a nutshell!

Wages are now higher than the UK, the Irish saw what lower taxes and deregulation did for the British economy in the 90's and copied, this brought in lots of direct foreign investment, whether the American companies will stick around given the higher staff and running costs is anyone's guess. Ironically, whilst Ireland was doing this the UK was going the opposite direct towards the French/German model of high taxes and a large public sector, given the stunning economic growth and high employment of such a productive system.

i've been wondering for some time what would happen to Ireland if fortunes reverse and the Franco-German economy booms whilst the Irish economy falters.....Instead of low IRs in a boom there'd be high IRs in a slump!

I may be a dissenting voice here, but I'm not particularly fond of Ireland. The weather's crap, it's expensive, it's miserable and boring. What's there to do apart from drink expensive booze and walk in force 9 gales? Britain was well shot of it, if you ask me.

Give me the Continent any day of the week.

I may be a dissenting voice here, but I'm not particularly fond of Ireland. The weather's crap, it's expensive, it's miserable and boring. What's there to do apart from drink expensive booze and walk in force 9 gales? Britain was well shot of it, if you ask me.

I've only ever been to Dublin. I liked it.

Billy Shears

Sailing, surfing, kitesurfing, windsurfing, scuba diving, sea kayaking, hillwalking, rock climbing. Plus general tourism i.e. looking at old stuff - some fantastic prehistoric sites such as Newgrange, there's also lots of medieval stuff like the roundtowers and the monastic beehive huts on the islands off the west. There's usually traditional music and singing in every town and village on the weekend, there's literary festivals (Listowel writer's week), comedy festivals (Cat Laughs in Kilkenny), general arts (Galway arts festival, Dublin theatre festival and fringe), and random stuff like horse racing, the Galway Oyster festival, even the godawful matchmaking festivals and Rose of Tralee etc. If you're bored it's because you lack originality :)

Despite the fact that much of my family is Irish, I hate visiting these days - it's just so plastic! Parts of the West are like some kind of open air 'Celt World,' flooded with Dutch and German camper van convoys. Urghhhh. Dingle is one of the shi***** places on earth in my opinion.

Gruff the Plastic Paddy ;)

i heard it was endless souvineer shops and the like. plus windy/cold/rainy.

same as england really. cant see why that makes it 400k a home.

It's the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, fred. In England it's simply stuffed underneath the floor boards, in your case anyway ;)

...it seems to me the whole of ireland is up for sale, every road you drive down has for sale signs, and not 1 or 2, more like 10-20 and new build flats are everywhere (Most seem half done). Looking in estate agent windows they are very over priced (London->Bristol prices). In the whole time I only saw about 5 sold signs... [ril]

Does anyone have any data for Irish transaction volumes? A sharp fall in volumes would indicate the market top.

Sailing, surfing, kitesurfing, windsurfing, scuba diving, sea kayaking, hillwalking, rock climbing. Plus general tourism i.e. looking at old stuff - some fantastic prehistoric sites such as Newgrange, there's also lots of medieval stuff like the roundtowers and the monastic beehive huts on the islands off the west. There's usually traditional music and singing in every town and village on the weekend, there's literary festivals (Listowel writer's week), comedy festivals (Cat Laughs in Kilkenny), general arts (Galway arts festival, Dublin theatre festival and fringe), and random stuff like horse racing, the Galway Oyster festival, even the godawful matchmaking festivals and Rose of Tralee etc. If you're bored it's because you lack originality :)

Can do all of that here. And more. And no pride-of-Ireland Ryanair to contend with.

I'd rather head for the continent.

i heard it was endless souvineer shops and the like. plus windy/cold/rainy.

"Dere's more to Oireland DAN DIS!" :D

Only been to Dublin too........and i thought the common man was a nicer person than their English equivalent in a way I can't understand or could possibly explain...Easier to engage with strangers even when compared to rural parts of England..

ril

I posted this on another thread a few days ago...

<

Just returned from swinging Dublin.

I know it was Easter weekend but the city was booming.

Lot's of shoppers with lot's of designer bags.

EA's with crummy 2/3 bed terraces for between 650k-950k euro.

Adverts on buses stating that if you are a 1st time buyer you can still have a life with a 35 year interest only mortgage!!

Sunday newspapers advertising loads of property developments in the UK and throughout the world aimed at those canny irish investors!!

...and all you FTBers in the UK think you have got it bad. Ireland has another 2 years of this I reckon :)

>

Stayed with family in commuter village of Sallins near Dublin - not many 'For Sale' signs here. Lot's of homes and the British apartment crap going up!!

...it seems to me the whole of ireland is up for sale, every road you drive down has for sale signs, and not 1 or 2, more like 10-20 and new build flats are everywhere (Most seem half done). Looking in estate agent windows they are very over priced (London->Bristol prices). In the whole time I only saw about 5 sold signs... [ril]

Does anyone have any data for Irish transaction volumes? A sharp fall in volumes would indicate the market top.

I wish there were more information on property transactions in Ireland. The CSO has stopped reporting rent as a separate element in the CPI and have bundled it in with fuel for some bizarre reason. I might pore over a few hundred CSO PDF's and try and unpick some of the data when I get the chance.

I have a very close relative there who works as a carpenter/builder in Ireland. I spoke to him recently and he tells me that he is getting it more and more difficult to get work. His prices/quotes are been undercut by up to half by Polish/East European tradesmen. Plumbers and Electricians all suffering the same fate. Some have even contemplating re- emigrating back to the USA where they emigrated to from Ireland in the 80's 90's and returned in late 90's to get a piece of the Celtic Tiger.

Apparently one in eight workers in Ireland are linked to the Construction industry which in MHO is way out of line.

While there on a visit recently I have heard an Auctioneer on the radio say, "that the madness has got to stop" one with a conscience??????

A lot of that happening here in Scotland. I have a friend who drives diggers - all the sites he works on are loaded with Poles, Czechs etc. The chap who gives him a lift to work is Russian for example.

As for the money side of it, my friend who does my gas fitting is a Corgi inspector who used to get £65 per hour, these days he's getting £30. Undercutting is rife just now in his game due to things like OCLI courses chucking out 3 month wonders. Check out www.ocli.co.uk to see what I mean.

Not a good situation at all for the manual workers in the construction industry. Oh, and before anyone says they are still grossly overpaid, try being on a site in a freezing January or a scorching July. Not fun, these lads earn their money. I laboured for a 2/1 squad when I was a fit 16 year old, and it was a hard earned wage even then.

Wonder if we'll still see all these Accountants etc. in the paper with big smiles, saying they're off to retrain as a Plumber or Gas Fitter?

SALLINS? Was that on the way to or from Bodenstown?

gmac, they should stay and fight their corner. Apparently there's a displacement of Poles going on as well as their equivalent of Easties are moving in. Oh the joys of Globalisation.

“¡La economia es de gente, no de curvas!” – “Economics is about people, not curves!”

SALLINS? Was that on the way to or from Bodenstown?

gmac, they should stay and fight their corner. Apparently there's a displacement of Poles going on as well as their equivalent of Easties are moving in. Oh the joys of Globalisation.

“¡La economia es de gente, no de curvas!” – “Economics is about people, not curves!”

Sallins as here!