House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sam

Who Else Wants Property To Be Boring

This is not much of a post, i just want to know something, is there anyone else out there that just longs for the day when property is just a dull boring subject that nobody really wants to talk about, and we all have proper lives to live with the veryshort period of time we have on this rock

Sam

This is not much of a post, i just want to know something, is there anyone else out there that just longs for the day when property is just a dull boring subject that nobody really wants to talk about, and we all have proper lives to live with the veryshort period of time we have on this rock

Sam

Absolutely - I don't want property to be an investment, a pension, a scandal, an irritation or anything but a place to live - something that most people have but don't bother to talk about much.

Sadly I think it's pretty unlikely from where we are now.

Guest Winners and Losers

OMG!! I'm SOOOO over it. I was over it in 2002. Everyone was becoming BTL obsessed back then. All I wanted was my own house to live, one job and no worries.

Btw - that is still what I want. Owning 200 BTL properties is over rated.

Edited by Winners and Losers

Sam

Yes, and Channel 4 would have to provide real entertainment and not fob us of with cheap old Kirsty and house make over programmes. Like yesterday prime time TV spent on watching some mumpty trying to sell an their own valued, overpriced gaff in Portugal

Property is vital -

huge amounts of the county's wealth is in property

it's the biggest investment most people make

it is the biggest "creative opportunity" most people have (to make it how they want it)

it massively affects your standard of living - both in terms of how much of your income it takes up, and the

increased quality of life if you have a decent home that is big enoough for you and your family can bring..

it's not the be all and end all but it isvital, and a very important topic of conversation

it massively affects your standard of living - both in terms of how much of your income it takes up, and the

increased quality of life if you have a decent home that is big enoough for you and your family can bring..

it's not the be all and end all but it is vital, and a very important topic of conversation

It depresses me to think how many people want to make money off other people for effectively removing their access to something that is so vital. Makes me so proud to be English.

im not bored with property. im just bored waiting high imagination sellers out.

i could be getting on with laminating a floor, but as i have no intention of paying triple for a home. i wait.

and the waiting gets boring. but theres nothing i can do about it. 3 more years. no change i suppose i would go back abroad. this being a waste of time.

Sam

No.

My home and family is everything to me. Driving home at night is like Xmas eve was when I were a lad.

A freind likes to spend as much time away from home as possible, always some meanigless shallow party to go to. For me there is nothing better than a few beers and curry at home in front of the box, or relaxing in the garden on a summer evening. I used to be a proper clubber and always out, now Ive come full circle.

Talking to an aboriginal friend last night (in my dreams), told him that in my country people spend about six years building a house. He couldn't stop laughing!

more like 15->20 years after tax.....

Sam

No!...a pertinent post!.................i'd love property prices and indeed the whole property shabang to be as boring as the 2nd hand car market for example........but people's obsession with it is understandable in a way......as the figures are so huge.....eg borrow 4 times your gross salary 100% mortgage and if prices rise say 50% you've made a profit of double your gross salary tax free.

Even though i appreciate for most people this is only a paper profit as they only have one house as one of the above posters says even if you're a box-standard owner occupier with only one home the percentage of your income it consumes can vary massively depending on when you bought

Edited by Michael

Property is vital -

huge amounts of the county's wealth is in property

it's the biggest investment most people make

it is the biggest "creative opportunity" most people have (to make it how they want it)

it's not the be all and end all but it isvital, and a very important topic of conversation

By the time i got to the end of this post i realised why Prozac was introduced, how very sad your outlook is. There are a billions directions we can take our lives if we really choose to, but many are consumed with "bettering themselves" through property.

I honestly believe the type of obsessive property worshiping that goes on in the UK is far to excessive and spiritually damaging.

I am off scuba diving in 4 weeks on the Red sea, enjoy your hedge trimming.

Sam

Traditionally, landlords used to be a breed apart, but everyone and their dog is in property investment nowerdays. The media's got a lot to do with this. Maybe because of the dot-coms crashing so people shifted to property investment instead. I am just about to exchange on a property I've been renovating for the last 10 months. I like to think I'm not one of the ones pushing up property prices, but who knows. (Bought a wreck, gutted it, spend £12k on reno, all work done myself, now selling for double purchase cost.) I think its the economy and the way peoples brains work (bull/bear market thinking) that pushes up prices. (FYI I'm a market bear, I want to see it all corrected, though after I sell of course. :) )

Pretty much everyone wants to become rich by doing very little. This is why, when the stock/property market starts to go up, more people buy into it, pushing it up even more hoping for a quick buck. Its self-perpetuating. Sheep mentality!

I think theres some hidden agenda with the powers in charge. Shouldn't interest rates be higher to promote saving, kerb personal debt and provide cheaper housing, (High IR means lower mortgage limits and therefore lower property prices, I think).

Theres nothing I've said here that hasn't been said before.

If you wanted to lock people into working their guts out, promote personal debt (good for our biggest service sector - the financial services) and make people feel insecure and controllable... would'nt lowering interest rates do the trick?

Just a thought... <_<

By the time i got to the end of this post i realised why Prozac was introduced, how very sad your outlook is. There are a billions directions we can take our lives if we really choose to, but many are consumed with "bettering themselves" through property.

I honestly believe the type of obsessive property worshiping that goes on in the UK is far to excessive and spiritually damaging.

I am off scuba diving in 4 weeks on the Red sea, enjoy your hedge trimming.

Sam

Sam - I havent posted on this site for over a year, but i feel compelled to do so by your post. Personally, i couldnt agree with your words more. The UK obsession with status & wealth (& in particular the price of bricks & mortar) continues to astound me. I dont wish for a property crash, but i do wish for a return to some kind of sanity. There are a lot of people in this country who seem incapable of looking outside of their own little box - literally & metaphorically!

Regards,

Gort

Yup I am bored with it, although for some reason I cannot help but login here most days. :(

Also bored to tears, although for some reason i cannot help but login most days to drool over shakerbaby's latest mouth-watering avatar! :D

BTW - judging from all the names who used to post on this site 2 yrs ago & now seem to have disappeared (BBB, rpg118, Monkey, etc) - we're not the only ones!!

Sam - I havent posted on this site for over a year, but i feel compelled to do so by your post. Personally, i couldnt agree with your words more. The UK obsession with status & wealth (& in particular the price of bricks & mortar) continues to astound me. I dont wish for a property crash, but i do wish for a return to some kind of sanity. There are a lot of people in this country who seem incapable of looking outside of their own little box - literally & metaphorically!

Regards,

Gort

In a country that increasingly produces less and less and relies increasingly on credit-cards-and-mortgage-equity-withdrawal to prop up growth, combined with ever increasing taxation of business, buying and selling houses, with a lick of paint and a markup, is the only way to become an tax-free 'entrepeneur'.

Sam

Hell yeah! Well said Sam. I can't wait for property to be boring - again. To be honest, this is one reason why I don't enjoy going out as much anymore with some of my original friends. A few of my friends always turn discussions into their wealth - It just shows how selfish, greedy and self centered they are.

That's one reason why I think a recession may be a good thing. It will remind people to value friendship more, rather than gloat about their worth. After all, a recession is a natural part of the business cycle!

Edited by Jason

Guest Winners and Losers

Also bored to tears, although for some reason i cannot help but login most days to drool over shakerbaby's latest mouth-watering avatar! :D

Thanks, he wanted to keep a picture of my posterior for posterity - oh no, have I spelt something wrong?

I let him have his way (he's just a wee lad). ;)

Edited by Winners and Losers

Property is rubbish and for tw@ts. It has always been dull as f*ck as far as I'm concerned.

There, I said it!

99% of it is inconsequential phaff with programs featurig people dull as dish water. The only property program I found remotely interesting was one where Ray Mears knocked up a house in Samoa using traditional techniques and material. Took him one day with the help of about 15 people. Then they tucked into a traditional feast. Priorities about right if you ask me. :)

I wish I could fast forward 2 years to when property will probably be seen as the biggest mugs game in history.

You should buy a house to live in. Period. Tax impact on anything else should be extortionate.