House Price Crash Forum

Sky: Rising Fuel Costs Not Affecting Inflation

HOLA441

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,3040...9,00.html?f=rss

Business
Inflation is around 2% Latest Inflation Figures
Updated: 09:23, Thursday April 20, 2006
The soaring costs of petrol and household energy bills are expected to counteract price cuts on the High Street in the latest inflation figures.
Inflation should stay close to the Bank of England's target of 2%.
Inflation in February hit the target for the first time in five months - analysts expect the March figure to remain the same, or to ease back slightly.
The reason for the Consumer Prices Index's increase in February was put down to the rising costs of computer games and books.
Investec's Philip Shaw said he expected to see an increase of 4% in gas prices and a 2.8% rise in electricity which should add 0.1% to annual inflation.
However, this would be offset by deflationary pressure from the High Street with clothing sales having struggled due to the cold weather.
Recreation and culture prices were also likely to have reversed last month's sharp gain which meant inflation would inch back to 1.9%, he said.
HSBC economist John Butler predicts inflation to remain at 2%.
"In March last year, inflation increased sharply because of significant rises in fares and household goods and clothing," he said.
This year, the upward pressure on energy bills should soften the downward pressure on the annual inflation rate."

The dying gasps of a bankrupt government wildly spinning data to save their necks from an angry electorate.

So the dropping prices of tat and jumpers on the High Street has offset fuel, council tax, travel, home heating eh?

HOLA442

Hi

I suppose you don't buy food?

The largest downward effect on the CPI annual rate came from food and non-alcoholic beverages due to a number of contributions:

• Milk, cheese and eggs, where cuts in milk prices led to a fall in the recorded average price of around 2p per pint in March;

• Vegetables, with good supplies leading to price falls for some produce, (including cauliflowers, cucumbers and lettuces) compared with increases last year; and

• Meat, (where prices fell this year) compared with little change a year ago.

HOLA443

What angry electorate? Where is your evidence for the existence of an angry electorate? Have there been riots and demonstrations I have not noticed.

Half a dozen people mildly irritated enough to keep posting the same old tired arguments on here does not constitute an angry electorate.

I meet a lot of young people looking for property. The ones that can't afford what they want at the moment don't seem angry to me. They just save a bit more.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I meet a lot of young people looking for property. The ones that can't afford what they want at the moment don't seem angry to me. They just save a bit more.

cos people have been brainwashed to thinking that house prices always go up and one day all house owners will be super rich who wouldn't need to do anything except MEWing equity from their houses. I met a lot of young boys recently who'r predicting 8% HPI for next 10 yeras. This tells, how out of reality our young generation is.

HOLA446

What angry electorate? Where is your evidence for the existence of an angry electorate? Have there been riots and demonstrations I have not noticed.

Half a dozen people mildly irritated enough to keep posting the same old tired arguments on here does not constitute an angry electorate.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/16042006/344/vote...owards-bnp.html

Voters 'being pushed towards BNP' Sunday April 16, 09:05 PM
The Government has been accused of failing to provide sufficient affordable housing after a minister warned that disillusioned white, working class voters were deserting Labour for the far right British National Party.
Employment minister Margaret Hodge said that as many as eight out of 10 white families in her Barking constituency in east London admitted that they were tempted to vote BNP in forthcoming council elections.
In an interview with the Sunday Telegraph, she said that many were
angry
because their children could no longer get homes in the area following a large influx of immigrants and asylum seekers.

HPI is evidence of unintelligent economic design :lol:

How many young people are happy with a reply to unaffordability: "Oh, its okay just save more!" EAs may have been laughing a year or so ago but unemployment is coming to an office near you soon.

Edited by Realistbear