House Price Crash Forum

Selling Houses - Andrew Winter On C4 At 8pm

HOLA441

Andrew helps two British property owners for whom the dream of a new life in the sun has turned into a nightmare.

Rebecca Andrade and her mother Janice have been trying to sell their four bedroom house in the Portuguese town of Lagoa for over two years. Perhaps the trouble is that it overlooks a swamp and a cement factory, and that it leaks when it rains? Andrew then visits Richard and Claire Mills who have found two huge cracks in their dream retirement property, a medieval tower in south west France.

House on the market for 2 years at £224k, and the EA's reckon it's worth £175k.

Amazing how for years we only heard the good news about the property bubble.

Sadly now we are starting to see the ugly side.

Our favourite estate agent does his thing...

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/sellinghouses/index.html

Edited by BandWagon

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

House on the market for 2 years at £224k, and the EA's reckon it's worth £175k.

Amazing how for years we only heard the good news about the property bubble.

Sadly now we are starting to see the ugly side.

Our favourite estate agent does his thing...

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/sellinghouses/index.html

How on earth does one property with damp...situated next to a bog / dump in the middle of an industrial complex constitute a burst in the bubble.

To buy a house you at least need to have a brain....location is probably as important as the property itself. They purchased a badly made holiday home near a bog....and they are surprised its not worth what they paid for it......doooofus.

My parents purchased a period french farm house for just £20,000...they spent another 15,000 on renovation and its now worth nearly 150,000 euros.

There will always be money to be made in property but you need to pay the right price, choose the right property in the right area.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Spain has had it's day as prices are just as high in many places as they are in the UK and spain is not that much cheaper to live than the UK.

Smart money is Bulgeria and the old eastern block where you can get a house for £20k and the Mafia only charges you £500 p.a for council tax which is less than half the thugs in your goverment makes you pay.

Whats the tax rate in Bulgeria ?

HOLA4411

Andrew is superb - this programme is a great way to spend an hour.

It is good fun because he tends to upset the idiots selling the house, but after a while it gets a bit repetitive. Essentially the advice given every week can be summed up by the following:

1. Paint it white

2. Replace doors and drawer fronts in kitchen

3. paint it white

4. remove all personal crap

5. paint it white

6. get new furniture

then finally just for good measure

7. paint it white

HOLA4412

8. fail to sell

9. drop price a little

10. fail to sell

11. paint it white again for good measure

12. fail to sell

13. Slash the price by 15%

14. Knock another 15% off

15. Wish you'd taken the offer of £175k as now its only worth £150k - Doh!

Edited by jp1

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Spain has had it's day as prices are just as high in many places as they are in the UK and spain is not that much cheaper to live than the UK.

Have to disagree.We stay with friends there.£ bed villa with land,council tax is 250 euro a year.Food shopping trolley full{to include an enormous amount of beer}75 euro.Good Chinese meal out with drinks for 2 around 20 euro or cheaper.

If you take on board the fact that many folks are earning between £600 to £800 a month it all makes sense.It`s only the insane HPI fulled to a greater degree by the Brits/Irish.There is more and more evidence that a serious HPC has stared out there and I think it could bottom out at up to 40% price drops from the top.Me,well I want to retire there in a few years but would no way consider buying there at the moment than I would buying a property in the U.K right now.

HOLA4415

13. Slash the price by 15%

14. Knock another 15% off

15. Wish you'd taken the offer of £175k as now its only worth £150k - Doh!

Plus the miserable pair could have spent less on white paint and gone for a makeover for themselves. The 'face slapped with a wet fish' look doesnt really have kerb appeal

HOLA4416

Plus the miserable pair could have spent less on white paint and gone for a makeover for themselves. The 'face slapped with a wet fish' look doesnt really have kerb appeal

ohh that's nasty but i thought that as well!

i only think they needed a big place was so that the younger one could find somewhere to park her fat a$$ in.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
The sellers must've been laughing their garlicy arses all the way down to la banque.

What kind of retard buys a cheap medieval building in France without budgeting shedloads of money for repairs and maintenance? Half an hour on the web would have told them everything they needed to know about the real cost of owning them.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Andrew is superb - this programme is a great way to spend an hour.

Out of all the property programmes, this one is my favourite. Andrew Winter really does talk a lot of sense and makes the sellers look like complete idiots. He often tell the market how it is and isn't afraid to upset people. The only thing that I am sceptical about is when they show him rolling up his sleeves and sorting out the properties. I think he's just there for the cameras for about an hour then he buggers off in his shiny BMW.

Andrew, if you read this forum then perhaps you could let us know!

I think Sarah Beeny deserves some credit aswell as she's a professional property developer and makes a mockery of the amateur BTL's. And last but not least the house doctor Ann Maurice. A bit like a head mistress and I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of her but she cuts the mustard and doesn't take any crap and this often means that the shows are hilarious!