House Price Crash Forum
AFineMess

Bbc Talks Crash

On the lunchtime news at 1pm today, there was a piece about how British people have so much debt. They broke the figures down, and pointed out that 4/5ths of all that debt was mortgage. The presenter talked about historically high house prices, the last crash, and asked if we should be worried.

Then they interviewed a financial guy (sorry, don't know who he was or who he represented). He stated that people are taking on huge debts on the back of low interest rates and easy borrowing, and that only small rises in interest rates could cause serious problems for many people.

Not what you call a bull piece.

Was channel flipping and caught a guy called Ragharam from the IMF telling it straight on the

status of the housing market in america and the wider implications on the USA. Very refreshing to

see.... would love to see this in the uk instead of the ballerina performances we get......

edit: it was CNN.

Edited by coolaftershave

Guest Winners and Losers

I won't believe the market is crashing until I hear it from the BBC. :unsure:

Hmm, this one seemed to be missing from the prime time 6 o clock news.

The BBC also does this with apology news stories... so it can say that it put the story straight.

When all that matters is the opinion the public have formed, so, im not surprised we get little bits of

reasonable news at time where the initial opinion forming moment will not be balanced.

They may argue that they want to give prime airtime to more important stories... but! If it was originally

important enough for prime time... setting the story straight should also be given the same priority.

They do not do this just to the Housing situation.

Whats the term for this behaviour?

CAS.

Edited by coolaftershave

You will hear your dog ask for a bowl of milk in english before this market crashes !

When was the last time a market didn't crash? Markets are subject to the economic cycle, they go up and they go down. The key is to know when to buy and when to sell.

He certainly was describing housing as a recent and irrational bull market.

In that sense he is predicting the worst, or best depending on whether your a site member.

I enjoyed it very much, get him on here.

He also said 1 in 10 are worried.

Edited by music man

Guest Winners and Losers

You will hear your dog ask for a bowl of milk in english before this market crashes !

She already does that, in Italian too.

Its as if one of the tits from his avatar are talking

Oh, I thought it was him. Right you are. :unsure:

Its as if one of the tits from his avatar are talking

Is anyone else apart from me bothered that the lady in the avatar appears to be "incomplete" in that she lacks two points?

Billy Shears

Was channel flipping and caught a guy called Ragharam from the IMF telling it straight on the

status of the housing market in america and the wider implications on the USA. Very refreshing to

see.... would love to see this in the uk instead of the ballerina performances we get......

edit: it was CNN.

I can't see interest rates rising the economy is too slow....spending is down as well

Guest Winners and Losers

Is anyone else apart from me bothered that the lady in the avatar appears to be "incomplete" in that she lacks two points?

Billy Shears

No, its only you Billy. I don't think anyone else has looked that closely. :unsure:

I can't see interest rates rising the economy is too slow....spending is down as well

Slow economy and spending down can only mean one thing - mortgage debt is not increasing at the high rate that it was. After all, the humble mortgage is the source of the vast majority of money in the system. If people are borrowing less, then IR are irrelevant. There will be less money available for house purchases, and prices will fall.

I was reading the usual VI mantra in the Saturday Yorkshire Post Property Supplement, and came across this little piece

Review charts Market Growth

Dacre, Son and Hartley has released it's quarterly review of the property market in North and West Yorkshire.........Patrick McCutcheon, residential director.........................solid re-emergence of buyers following the usual winter slowdown. With Bank of England interets rates remaining at an unchanged 4.5 percent, we have seen a renewed confidence as fears of a price realignment subside.

As he dared not to utter that five letter word CRASH I'm suprised he did not subsitute the word "concern"

for the word "fear". :rolleyes:

Edited by Catch22

I would like a bowl of milk.

Guest Winners and Losers

I would like a bowl of milk.

Now, now - you know you have to say 'please Mummy'. :unsure:

Where are your manners! ;)

Then they interviewed a financial guy (sorry, don't know who he was or who he represented). He stated that people are taking on huge debts on the back of low interest rates and easy borrowing, and that only small rises in interest rates could cause serious problems for many people.

Not what you call a bull piece.

They then ran a piece on 6 O'Clock News about debt problems: ticket ran headline 'Dicing With Debt?' whilst a debt advisor reasured the viewers that the majority of people are managing well, and not to worry, taking on more debt is nothing to be afraid of.

Throughout the whole interview, running beneath the headline, the strapline flashed

"Low Rates Boost Confidence"

:blink:

Edited by jp1

Typical bullish statement. Nothing to back it up.

When was the last time a market didn't crash? Markets are subject to the economic cycle, they go up and they go down. The key is to know when to buy and when to sell.

I am concluding that in general it is not possible to have a rational debate with a bull. I have challenged any bull on this site to come up with a coherent argument. Only one sensible response received! Otherwise one-liners eetc from the likes of this one.

Typical bullish statement. Nothing to back it up.

I am concluding that in general it is not possible to have a rational debate with a bull. I have challenged any bull on this site to come up with a coherent argument. Only one sensible response received! Otherwise one-liners eetc from the likes of this one.

Some of the bull arguments make me just laugh.

'Prices won't crash cos it's different this time'

'Even if they crashed they won't crash more than 20%, why? cos it never happened before'.

I won't believe the market is crashing until I hear it from the BBC. :unsure:

I won't believe it until...

1: The BBC are reporting it.

2: Kirstie Allsop admits she was wrong.

3: Banks refuse to lend more than 50% of a property's asking price.

In fact, I won't believe it until I can afford a house :lol: