• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Not much detail yet, but TVR are to cut jobs this year

TVR Blackpool

That's interesting as I noticed the new TVR showroom just off the A4 at Chiswick finished last year is now empty.

Not much detail yet, but TVR are to cut jobs this year

TVR Blackpool

A lot of the large car manufacturers came to the UK in the 80's and 90's to build cars for the european market.

As with the announcement by Peugeot I think we will see them all disappear to eastern europe. The figures can't stack up for making cars in the UK anymore.

It might be worth running a thread on what car manufacturers are still in the UK and what models they build. When the models expire, like the Peugeot 206 is a good time for the companies to move.

HOLA444

That's interesting as I noticed the new TVR showroom just off the A4 at Chiswick finished last year is now empty.

They had a sign up saying they had moved to Mayfair for a while. Not sure if it was a planned move, but that roundabout was a truly rubbish place for a car showroom. Impossible to see how to get into it.

TVR have got a few more years to try and get things right, before people tire of paying Porsche money for a car that will need a new engine before 10,000 miles.

Should EDIT to say, the sign was up for a while, I believe the move is permanent.

Edited by LivingTheDream-JustLikeLeedsUtd

HOLA445
A lot of the large car manufacturers came to the UK in the 80's and 90's to build cars for the european market.

Indeed: we had relatively low costs, relatively low regulation, and various subsidies to encourage them to come here. Now that place has been taken by Eastern Europe.

But it's OK, we can all become rich shovelling money around in our sophisticated financial services industry.

HOLA446
HOLA447

With Jag making massive losses for Ford their days must be numbered?

No, it's well recognised that the best way to make money is in premium marques like Jauguar. Ford just haven't done a very good job of utilising that yet with rather uninspiring products expect the XR which is a low volume product.

Jag X-types are basically Mondeos but sell for considerably more, the profit margins if they got the sales volumes up are much better.

HOLA448
HOLA449

What... the city boys with their fat bonuses didn't waltz in and save the day? This is just a repeat of what happened to the Jag 220 in the early 90's.

An XJ220 at over £200k is in a slightly different league to a TVR. The priniciple problem with the Jag XJ220 was that it was an overpriced heap of crap. It was frankly massive, didn't do what they said it would when they took deposits (no four wheel drive) and they also put the prices up.

The new Russian owners at TVR are offering 3 year warranties and people are still concerned about reliability and hence staying away from them in droves. If you compare it with the waiting list for a Porsche Cayman and you can see why TVR are in trouble.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest Bart of Darkness
TVR was established in 1947 by Trevor Wilkinson. The first cars were specials using the drivelines from production cars, tuned and installed in a lightweight TVR chassis with minimal bodywork to maximise the agility and power-to-weight ratio, which remain TVR virtues to this day.

A confirmed pedestrian writes:

Last time I looked at TVR's range was in the mid-80s, when everything was very wedge shaped.

I seem to remember some criticism of the bodywork at that time (the actual fitting not rust).

The new Russian owners at TVR are offering 3 year warranties and people are still concerned about reliability and hence staying away from them in droves.

Yoinks, that is bad.

Didn't know that they were now Russian owned.

Please tell me that Morgan are still British. :unsure:

HOLA4414

That's wheely bad news, I'm tyred of these announcements, the poor employees will have to hit the road if they car-n't keep their jobs, unless they come up with an engine-uos plan to save the plant, my cone-dolences, only the fuel-ish won't retrain etc :huh:

HOLA4415

A confirmed pedestrian writes:

Last time I looked at TVR's range was in the mid-80s, when everything was very wedge shaped.

I seem to remember some criticism of the bodywork at that time (the actual fitting not rust).

Yoinks, that is bad.

Didn't know that they were now Russian owned.

Please tell me that Morgan are still British. :unsure:

They now look like this. www.tvr-eng.co.uk They were bought last year by a "mini Roman Abramovich" Can't remember his name.

Most worrying issues are around their own built engines, although general build quality can still be an issue.

Morgan still British and going strong-ish. Latest model has a BMW engine and slightly updated looks, but unmistakenly Morgan.

HOLA4416
Guest Bart of Darkness
Morgan still British and going strong-ish. Latest model has a BMW engine and slightly updated looks, but unmistakenly Morgan.

:) Nice to hear that.

HOLA4417

pass there factory pretty much daily on bristol avenue.

the car park is full of cars waiting for dispatch.They dont even have a canteen in the factory for the staff.friend of mines with a butty shop makes there orders up.

I will say id rather a tvr than a porche there a bigger car and pretty cool looking in my opinion, cant say for reliability but then these are bought as a sunday toy not a everyday workhorse.I dont think the russian paid that much for it as tvr have been on the edge for years before he came along.Its his son that runs the factory, the old fella was some important government minister in russia.

Blackpool fc has just had a big russian investor too, not sure if its the same people or not.

But if you want to make good money in blackpool these days then you need to be selling crack to the beggers and prostitutes that are everywhere now.

HOLA4418

TVR have got a few more years to try and get things right, before people tire of paying Porsche money for a car that will need a new engine before 10,000 miles.

TVR's reputation for unreliability is worse than the truth. I know 3 people with TVR's and none have ever had a serious problem or breakdown.

And you can hardly compare to Porsche - for the price of a Boxster which does 0-60 in about 6 seconds and 160mph, TVR give you something which does 60 in under 4 seconds and the best part of 200mph.

Recently however they have made the mistake of constantly changing the range which only confuses buyers, and damages resale values.

I wouldnt be surprised to see jobs cut however, or production moved out of the UK - seems we cant make anything here anymore for a decent price - the UK's future doesnt look bright - and thats one reason why there's no way Im taking out a massive mortgage paid over 25years - whats this place going to be like when Ive paid my mortgage off? Would rather join the army of skilled workers heading for the door.

HOLA4419

TVR's reputation for unreliability is worse than the truth. I know 3 people with TVR's and none have ever had a serious problem or breakdown.

They must have had the V8?

And you can hardly compare to Porsche - for the price of a Boxster which does 0-60 in about 6 seconds and 160mph, TVR give you something which does 60 in under 4 seconds and the best part of 200mph.

Yeah, but when you get in a Porsche you'll notice that the materials, carpets etc are of quality. And you will also notice how these items stay in place when you drive.

TVR favor carpets from the £shop and vinyl stuck down with spray mount glue. They also like using penny washers and M6 bolts to hold everything together.

The Porsche has a time served engine design and components which don't fail after five minutes.

TVR's own six cylinder engine, when you get the covers off, looks like a piss poor GCSE metal work project with all the reliability you would expect from the same.

I could go on...

HOLA4420
TVR favor carpets from the £shop and vinyl stuck down with spray mount glue. They also like using penny washers and M6 bolts to hold everything together.

But that's 'character', mate. You don't want one of those soulless German cars that don't break down when you can have a real British car with character.

HOLA4421

But that's 'character', mate. You don't want one of those soulless German cars that don't break down when you can have a real British car with character.

Stuck standing next to your broken down TVR on the M1 in the pouring rain with lorries plastering you in spray = character building.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Oddly enough, I now have the cash to buy a decent sports car, but not the income for a mortgage to buy a (decent) house.

but are you not meant to start at the bottom and wait for inflation to allow you to move up??

Oh yes.... no more wage push inflation ;)

more expensive and broken in a way that should be sinking in about .

Now ;)

HOLA4425

Car manufacturers have been struggling for a llong time now due to a crash in new car sales.

Wonder why no one is buying new cars?

Far too expensive mortgages to pay? Yep

Crippled by council and stealth taxes? Yep

Rampant hidden inflation of 6-8%? Yep

Crippled with MEW and credit card debt? Yep

UK Plc is sick and not getting better.