House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Time to raise the rents.

Has Jo Public Been Brainwashed?

Fully agree, it's not going to happen.

The public have also been conned by being told by the government that they have all the answers to their woes. Over the last few years the public has on the whole accpeted higher taxes to fund this expansion in the hope they will provide for us. It ain't gonna happen, because they are making it worse.

Don't even get me started on the celeb type stuff that's seems to be the rage. Is this what people aspire to?

Anyway, rants aside, I know many people that are starting to do things on the side. Some of them simply because they are excepting that they may well not have a job in a years time. Is this a sign of unmeasured inflation too?

At the rate my employer pays me I'd have to work 16.5 hours per day to afford the house my dad bought when he was my age. Of course, I'm not that stupid... I spend my spare time doing things I like and being paid for it instead. Enjoyable, unlike my job, and better paid, though not a reliable source of income at present. I'm working to develop it into a business for three reasons...

1: If I'm going to be poorly paid it might as well be for something I enjoy.

2: I stand a better chance of being well paid.

3: If I have to work until the day I die, due to pensions crisis, I want to be doing something I like.

The only thing with employment in it that will make you rich is when you're the employer.

That way you can lever off your staff & make a bit for each one that you employ.

That's tosh and you know it. There are plenty of rich employees. Look at doctors, lawyers, bankers, dentists and middle - senior management of most companies.

It's always been this way. I think the problem is that the public have fallen for the belief that "we are all middle class now". Everyone is aspirational. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but the downside of everyone being ambitious is that a lot of people will be disappointed.

I'm sure you are all aware of the research that shows that happiness is not increased by money beyond a reasonable level, and the fact that feelings of wealth are relative to those around you. We can't all feel wealthy no matter how high our quality of life is.

We should instead focus on quality of life as our country's objective. We can improve that, and it does make people happier.

Of course, the ridiculous bubble in housing confuses the issue further as almost everyone starts to feel poor, but that is a temporary phenomenon.

Most of us seem to realise that to get ahead these days you need more than just a job. Anyone who thinks they'll get everything they want in life by going 9 to 5 has had the wool pulled over their eye IMO.

What do you lot think?

Agreed

Globalisation has increased the returns on capital. By contrast, protectionism improves the demands that labour can make.

I borrowed money to invest in my labour skills. D'oh, what a mistake that was ! I'd have been better off investing it in gold.

...oh, well in the next life.

That's tosh and you know it. There are plenty of rich employees. Look at doctors, lawyers, bankers, dentists and middle - senior management of most companies.

It's always been this way. I think the problem is that the public have fallen for the belief that "we are all middle class now". Everyone is aspirational. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but the downside of everyone being ambitious is that a lot of people will be disappointed.

I'm sure you are all aware of the research that shows that happiness is not increased by money beyond a reasonable level, and the fact that feelings of wealth are relative to those around you. We can't all feel wealthy no matter how high our quality of life is.

We should instead focus on quality of life as our country's objective. We can improve that, and it does make people happier.

Of course, the ridiculous bubble in housing confuses the issue further as almost everyone starts to feel poor, but that is a temporary phenomenon.

Bizarrely polarised view of the world. The ridiculous bubble in housing confuses the issue further as almost everyone starts to feel poor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????? The exact opposite is true. Most people are property owners and a bubble in house prices makes them feel rich. Rich enough to borrow against the value of their house to fund their lifestyle.

I have just noticed your signature about the poster TTRTR. Bet you wish you had his 'problems!'

Bizarrely polarised view of the world. The ridiculous bubble in housing confuses the issue further as almost everyone starts to feel poor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????? The exact opposite is true. Most people are property owners and a bubble in house prices makes them feel rich. Rich enough to borrow against the value of their house to fund their lifestyle.

I have just noticed your signature about the poster TTRTR. Bet you wish you had his 'problems!'

I guess their are two sides to every argument.

Anyway, had a conversation with colleagues this morning, both home owners, both now feeling surprisingly poor when they see people in massive "£400k" homes, retired, cutting their hedges. "How do they manage it? What the f do they do?" These well-paid working homeowners no longer feel well off when they cannot see how they get from their 3-bed semi to a 6-bed detached. The scales appear to be lifting from their eyes, after they've been on my back for a year to buy.

Neither of these chaps have MEWd by the way. Will they feel rich then?

That's right quality of life. How can we make it happen for Jo Public? I know, give him a staff room & a piddly pension. Then force his landlord to renovate the rental place. Bliss. Except that the employess now wants to make savings & the landlord wants a higher rent.....

Depends what you mean by "get ahead"...

Only some people are lucky enough to have a 9-5 job that is also their "calling" or hobby as well. My father did - with the downside I didn't see him much (he would rather be in the research lab on Saturdays than at home, because his research truly fascinated him) He retired early - I asked him why - and his response was that he found himself looking at the clock, waiting for five, and decided that was it.

For me, d'oh. Of course not. My wife and family are very important, so, no, I have never thought I would get "all I want" from 9-5. There are more things to life than work

Depends what you mean by "get ahead"...

Only some people are lucky enough to have a 9-5 job that is also their "calling" or hobby as well. My father did - with the downside I didn't see him much (he would rather be in the research lab on Saturdays than at home, because his research truly fascinated him) He retired early - I asked him why - and his response was that he found himself looking at the clock, waiting for five, and decided that was it.

For me, d'oh. Of course not. My wife and family are very important, so, no, I have never thought I would get "all I want" from 9-5. There are more things to life than work

A man after my own heart. There are certainly more things to life than work. I wonder what my kids will think when they grow up & realise that it was very unusual that their Dad had so much free time.

Edited by Time to raise the rents.

Most of us seem to realise that to get ahead these days you need more than just a job. Anyone who thinks they'll get everything they want in life by going 9 to 5 has had the wool pulled over their eye IMO.

What do you lot think?

The great British public voted in 1979 for an end to honesty and hard work getting you anything in life. Nothing has changed since then.

The great British public voted in 1979 for an end to honesty and hard work getting you anything in life. Nothing has changed since then.

No - I think that was 1997.

A man after my own heart. There are certainly more things to life than work. I wonder what my kids will think when they grow up & realise that it was very unusual that their Dad had so much free time.

You're wasted on here ;)