House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Diesel To Zoom Past 1 Pound A Litre This Summer

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm.../ixcitytop.html

Diesel close to £1 a litre

(Filed: 18/04/2006)

Motorists have been told to expect another summer of misery at the petrol pumps as the cost of oil spiralled to a new record. Oil prices climbed just above $72 a barrel in London, raising the spectre of a litre of diesel costing more than £1 this summer.
Traders believe further increases in the long term are likely
owing to booming demand for oil from emerging economies such as China and India
at a time when energy supplies are becoming tighter.
"Other things being equal, higher oil prices will mean weaker economic growth, but the question is weaker relative to what," said Capital Economics analyst Julian Jessop.

Winters of discontent now its summers of misery. :o

If the BoE are forced to lower IR due to recession oil will become even more expensive making inflation rise accordingly. Seems that the decision on IR is no longer ours but that of our creditors and the BoJ are already moving upward. Don't be surprised if the next move by the BoE is upward.

Edited by Realistbear

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm.../ixcitytop.html

Motorists have been told to expect another summer of misery at the petrol pumps as the cost of oil spiralled to a new record. Oil prices climbed just above $72 a barrel in London, raising the spectre of a litre of diesel costing more than £1 this summer.
Traders believe further increases in the long term are likely
owing to booming demand for oil from emerging economies such as China and India
at a time when energy supplies are becoming tighter.
"Other things being equal, higher oil prices will mean weaker economic growth, but the question is weaker relative to what," said Capital Economics analyst Julian Jessop.

Winters of discontent now its summers of misery. :o

If the BoE are forced to lower IR due to recession oil will become even more expensive making inflation rise accordingly. Seems that the decision on IR is no longer ours but that of our creditors and the BoJ are already moving upward. Don't be surprised if the next move by the BoE is upward.

Why kill the economy stone dead by increasing IRs, when oil prices are causing enough pain already ?

Inflation will only take off, if peoples wages can rise, to then allow them to pay more for goods. I actually think that the rise in energy prices will leave people short of money and make them less inclined to pay higher prices. Inflation will be kept under control, whilst the economy slows down.

I don't think inflationary wage rises are in the pipeline due to massive inflows of cheaper migrant labour and the general forces of globalisation. Companies will just off shore more production.

In the globalised economy, its a war of attrition. But like all wars of attrition is a long, slowing grinding down kind of thing. Our economy won't just fold overnight.

I don't think inflationary wage rises are in the pipeline due to massive inflows of cheaper migrant labour and the general forces of globalisation. Companies will just off shore more production.

On another note, this is why an INFLATIONARY recession / depression scares the shit out of me...

:o

I actually think that the rise in energy prices will leave people short of money and make them less inclined to pay higher prices.

And how are they going to do that on non-discretionary items?

D :blink:

And how long are companies going to be able to continue swallowing major increases in costs?

The real problem with this 'keep wage inflation down and pretend inflation isn't happening' plan is that when the whole thing reaches breaking point, we're going to see massive inflation break out which even the fake figures won't be able to hide. Sooner or later companies just won't be able to swallow those costs anymore, even after they've sacked all their British workers and moved production abroad.

One local (expensive) garage is already showing diesel well over £1 litre. Even the cheaper one I have used recently is now 95.9p

One local (expensive) garage is already showing diesel well over £1 litre. Even the cheaper one I have used recently is now 95.9p

Its around 97p in the Stratford area. Petrol around 94p. 1 pound a litre might be a tad optimistic perhaps? This must work its way through to shop prices sooner or later and inflation is ignited. I thibnk it was the case that the Big Crash of the 1970's and the Great Crash of 1989-96 was prompted by a similar position with fuel.

Why kill the economy stone dead by increasing IRs, when oil prices are causing enough pain already ?

Inflation will only take off, if peoples wages can rise, to then allow them to pay more for goods. I actually think that the rise in energy prices will leave people short of money and make them less inclined to pay higher prices. Inflation will be kept under control, whilst the economy slows down.

In the globalised economy, its a war of attrition. But like all wars of attrition is a long, slowing grinding down kind of thing. Our economy won't just fold overnight.

The Fat Heavily Indebted will Suffer, the Lean will Prosper.

Remember Joseph and the Technicolour (English spelling) Dreamcoat : 7 Fat Cows, Followed by 7 Thin Cows.

Migrancy is always Transitory; "Cheap Migrant Labour" is the past.

It's not as long and as slow as you think, The pressures have been growing for a long time.

Its around 97p in the Stratford area. Petrol around 94p. 1 pound a litre might be a tad optimistic perhaps?

98.9p for diesel here, or was an hour ago when I walked past the petrol station. But that's OK, because fuel prices don't cause inflation, and we can just cut back on food or something else that's non-essential to pay for filling up our cars.

Migrancy is always Transitory; "Cheap Migrant Labour" is the past.

Indeed: if there's a recession in the UK then economic migrants will find somewhere more profitable to move to.

I don't want to turn this into a 'price comparison thread' but prices on Angelsey are V.high (Cashing in on Easter W/End ??).

Got back this morning and struggled to find petrol or diesel under 98.9p. Most stations had gone for the 99.9 p/l maximum but also saw a couple of board-busting 103.0 p/l posters :blink:

D :blink:

You know the answer - you can't ! - but a hell of a lot of expenditure is discretionary.

When I see people stopping doing the following things, then I'll know things are truly biting:

Eating out

Going on holiday

Driving aimlessly about to pass the time

Retail therapy just to pass the time

Sky TV dishes being taken down

Fake tans - I mean whats all that about !!!???

Declining attendances at sporting fixtures

Booze sales falling

I could go on ......

Guest Winners and Losers

You know the answer - you can't ! - but a hell of a lot of expenditure is discretionary.

When I see people stopping doing the following things, then I'll know things are truly biting:

Eating out

Going on holiday

Driving aimlessly about to pass the time

Retail therapy just to pass the time

Sky TV dishes being taken down

Fake tans - I mean whats all that about !!!???

Declining attendances at sporting fixtures

Booze sales falling

I could go on ......

FFS, put a bra on those t*ts. I'm feeling ill.

But that's OK, because fuel prices don't cause inflation, and we can just cut back on food or something else that's non-essential to pay for filling up our cars.

Now, now don't get sarcastic ! :D

There's plenty of things to cut back on if you see my other post. If you ain't got more money, then you can't pay more - so unless you get wage inflation, you won't get a direct general leap in inflation. Some things may go up, others won't. Demand overall will contract instead which itself leads to other problems further down the line.

Money will get taken off less essential things and the household budget gets rebalanced over a period of time.

£1/litre on petrol in days, I reckon aswell.

FFS, put a bra on those t*ts. I'm feeling ill.

You like stroking dogs, i like stroking ti..

Sometimes I just don't understand women !

Time to stop the pointless consumption as most of you say or hope.

We (the U.K.) take up 3.1 x worlds resources on global population averages.

Gordon really does have to be creative to spin that one on our consumer / consumptionisms figures, IR's or taxes.

Either we cull the global population, find better ways of decieving and impoverishing the less fortunate or we have to stop this shopping spree.

We don't have to be the way we are.

Anyway, most of my money goes on the misses or her whims, she doesn't care about money, poverty or the planet. I assume she pretty much a 'normal' person.

not many have that much debt.. only a few..

High IR's actually make the economy boom.

Those with high debt hurt..

Those with high savings are hurting now

Swings and roundabouts

To be fair, there's no proven link between diesels and asthma: asthma rates are supposedly up in rural areas as well as urban areas (I say supposedly because actual clinically diagnosed asthma rates don't seem to be up anywhere near as high as self-diagnosed rates). It's cancer and thousands of respiratory deaths a year that are blamed on diesel engines.

Edited by MarkG

its consumerism that is to blame, and consumerism only benifits big buisness no-one else.

A couple of generations ago when you renovated your home it was done by craftsman to a very high standard, The wood used was better quality and chunkier, the stonework was more substantial ect.

its why these houses 200 year old are still very good not only that but this quality gave character.

Same with furniture, victorian furniture is of a far superior quality to the present stuff being churned out.Infact all these items from tools to pots and pans to furniture to houses to knifes and forks to cups to lamps ect ect were all made to last a lifetime and they did last a lifetime.

Most people when they got married would recieve these items and would never buy them again.

not only that but these items were made locally benifitting the local craftsmen and often using local materials and quarries ect.even carpets ect that were imported were put down and lasted a lifetime.The system realy worked well.

Then came big buisness and thats where it all ******ed up, they wanted you to buy 5 or 6 or 7 sofas in your life and every 3 trips to asda they wanted you to buy another piece of cutlery or a cup or whatever.Things were made cheaper destroying the local tradesmans work.But this also meant to achieve this the quality was a lot worse.

just put a victorian pine chest of drawers next to a ikea or mfi one and you will see what i mean, and remember the victorian one is 150 years old already.

incidently they cost about the same price, and you would get your money back for the victorian one if you cared to sell, while the mfi one will need replacing every 5 years.

Everything has been made tacky, thin,fast,cheap

its not that people cant do they jobs anymore and build in quality, its just no-one would pay to get them done.Ie you might need to pay 1000 pounds for a quality hand made chest of drawers now that might take a craftsman 2 weeks to make, but in ikea you can get one for 100 pounds.

Same goes for housing, its all made cheap, thus the benifits of technology that should have been used to incorporate into the existing workmanship quality, have just been used to cut corners and make things cheaper not better.

my whole point here is, change the throw away society and you will reduce oil consumption to a mere fraction of what it was, and for a better quality of life too.

It's not all the manufacturer's fault. People buy cheap tat even when it's cheaper in the long run to buy something of better quality that lasts longer. I'm sure it's possible to get a chest of drawers every bit as good quality as the Victorian one, but it might cost thousands. A similar looking thing might be a few hundred quid at Ikea. If people were prepared to pay for the higher quality items, then there would be a supply. But they're not.

Billy Shears

i think there is definetly a bit of a trend away from tat.

its exactly this that has made ikea boom.As they started to sell better quality furniture than the likes of mfi did, and also it showed people were willing to pay that bit extra for better quality.

So there definetly is a market for it, and maybe a huge change from tat to quality is more important than price, lets face it most are seeing through the scam cheap tat realy is, and the enviromental implications as well.ie it takes as much energy to make cheap tat as it does to make quality realy.

just put a victorian pine chest of drawers next to a ikea or mfi one and you will see what i mean, and remember the victorian one is 150 years old already.

incidently they cost about the same price, and you would get your money back for the victorian one if you cared to sell, while the mfi one will need replacing every 5 years.

Everything has been made tacky, thin,fast,cheap

its not that people cant do they jobs anymore and build in quality, its just no-one would pay to get them done.Ie you might need to pay 1000 pounds for a quality hand made chest of drawers now that might take a craftsman 2 weeks to make, but in ikea you can get one for 100 pounds.

Brilliant post. The other thing about your victorian chest of drawers is that it will last for another 150 years.

I think I must be a craftsmen - an Ikea chest of drawers take me 2 weeks to make.